spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

newcust123

@206.172.0.x

free or low cost voip with caller id.

Hi,

i have bell landline but i wish to change to something that cost low.
voip seem to be it, but what company available in montreal for voip with free or low cost. I would need caller id, but i do not do long distance. Just local call

thanks!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
TANSTAFL and all that, and I still think it's a bait-and-switch, but freephoneline.ca if you pay $50 for the "unlock" to use your own ATA (to use a real telephone with their service).

Otherwise, voip.ms, which costs $0.99 a month for the phone number, $0.01 (one cent) per minute for inbound calls, and $0.0052 (about half a cent) per minute for outbound Canadian calls. That's probably just about the cheapest non-free service you'll find.

Personally, I'd trust voip.ms more.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Anon Name

@acanac.net
reply to newcust123
Hey,

I have been on vbuzzer for a few years, my parents too.

I got my atas on kijiji.

5$/month local calls, CID and VM.

Some people seem to have bad experience with them, but as I said I have nothing to complain... They even have a voip app if you have an android phone.

I like them. No phone support, ticket support is slow, don't expect a fast answer.

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
reply to newcust123
I also recommend voip.ms. I recently cut the cord with Bell, and went with them for my VoIP service. The company is actually headquartered here in Montreal, but they have servers all over the place, so you can connect to different servers based on your location (if you are with Teksavvy for example, the Toronto server would give you better latency than the Montreal one). They fully support CallerID.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to newcust123
I would recommend voip.ms but the charge for incoming calls is a dealbreaker if you use your phone a lot.

For example my grandma spends all day at home and could easily use up 5000 voice minutes a month on local calls. If half of that was incoming calls, voip.ms would charge $25 for incoming calls (2500 minutes * $0.01).

To realize any savings you have to be a very very light phone user. I use voip.ms for voicemail only (~$2 / month) and cell phone with Wind for unlimited CA/US calling.

I'll use voip.ms if I need to call Europe, but the software phone embedded in Gmail is also a good alternative and charges about the same rates as voip.ms for outgoing overseas long distance.

The gmail phone is really great, free US/CA calls. It's too bad you can't get a number in Canada.

Shaman515

join:2012-06-04
St John'S, NL
reply to newcust123
Hello newcust123,

I know of a voip service that you can use in montreal or All U.S./Canada/Europe with free long distance in the U.S/Canada and 60 other countries, call display and 15 other features, all for less than $40.00 a month.
You should get in contact with me for more info. Anyone interested can contact me for that matter for more info.

Shaman515

said by newcust123 :

Hi,

i have bell landline but i wish to change to something that cost low.
voip seem to be it, but what company available in montreal for voip with free or low cost. I would need caller id, but i do not do long distance. Just local call

thanks!

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
Does it have unlimited long distance to cell phones in France for $40?

Shaman515

St John'S, NL
give me your email and I'll send you some info on it

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
Just post it here I don't want to sign up with some sketchy invite only service

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by BliZZardX:

Just post it here I don't want to sign up with some sketchy invite only service

He seemed to have signed up just to push the invite only service.

Shaman515

St John'S, NL
Actually I signed up to the forum to see if I could find some info on Bell Canada, Like email address's to some of the Presidents and Vice Presidents. I am having a mojar issue with my cell phone and have been waiting for Bell to fix it now for over 5 weeks now.
So never joined to push no invites on anyone.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by Shaman515:

Actually I signed up to the forum to see if I could find some info on Bell Canada, Like email address's to some of the Presidents and Vice Presidents. I am having a mojar issue with my cell phone and have been waiting for Bell to fix it now for over 5 weeks now.
So never joined to push no invites on anyone.

LOL, sure. You signed up today, and the first two post you made was to solicit requests for invites to your mysterious service. Then made a third post to deny that fact.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Shaman515
He pm'd me it is a direct selling service so maybe he didn't want to reveal his name.

"overseas calls terminating on a wireless phone or private numbers are not included in this plan and are subject to higher rates" - at 24 c/ minute this double the rate of voip.ms. Sad cause most people don't have a landline anymore. Anyway thanks but no thanks it's not for me.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Shaman515
said by Shaman515:

Try John.Watson@bell.ca, Executive Vice President Customer Operations. He replaced Kevin Crull in 2010. He may not respond directly but someone working for him should be able to help you out.

Shaman515

St John'S, NL
Thank you BliZZardX, I will give him a try and as for the overseas calling, with the Home Unlimited World Plan
you get Get unlimited Local and Long Distance calls to more than 60 countries, including India, Mexico and the UK. No more counting minutes or worrying about pricey long distance calls.
Try it, If you don't like it or agree with it cancel it. I have it and call my buddy over in Whales and I don't get charges long distance charges

Shaman515

St John'S, NL
reply to decx
You seem to be a strange cookie and I think that you may have been dropped on your head at a very young age or maybe you are still a very young person.

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON
reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

said by Shaman515:

Try John.Watson@bell.ca, Executive Vice President Customer Operations. He replaced Kevin Crull in 2010. He may not respond directly but someone working for him should be able to help you out.

Actually, Wade Oosterman, President , Bell Mobility and Residential Services, and Chief Brand Officer, also assumes leadership of Bell Residential Services (Bell TV, Bell Internet and Bell Home Phone) effective January 1, 2011 when Kevin Crull assumed the position of Chief Operating Officer at CTVglobemedia.

»www.bce.ca/aboutbce/executivetea ··· sterman/

Shaman515

St John'S, NL
Thank you PRIUS, I have to go write an email to both of these individuals and get my issue resolved once and for all.

Firefoxer

join:2007-09-27
Quebec, QC
reply to newcust123
A relative of mine use Talkit.ca , 60$ a year, have it for three years and seem to like the simplicity of it.

Like others here I don't use the phone much so I have voip.ms , it has many advanced features like configurable caller filtering and Digital Receptionist.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to Shaman515
Well at least I'm willing to say what I think out here instead of enigmatically trying to hooking people in via PMs.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to newcust123
I'd give a limited recommendation to VoIP.ms as well. It does work and is a fairly good value. Plus if you do have a lot of incoming calls, you can get DID along with a monthly incoming package of 3500 min for $4-5 a month (depends on where your DIDs are from).

A bit of clarification about the limited recommendation part. Call quality on value routing is decent but not excellent, definitely not on par with POTS if you're used to that. Also, while they do have tech support the replys fairly promptly, it's not that useful in helping solve issues.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to newcust123
I just found out Koodo offer 5c/min to France (landline or mobile) with the $2 LD saver add-on: »help.koodomobile.com/coverage-lo ··· distance

$2 LD Saver + $35 City Unlimited gives unlimited incoming, unlimited outgoing local and 5c to France. If I use 1000 outgoing minutes that's still under $100/month for the whole package including tax. That's a great deal IMO.

voip.ms charges 12.5c to France mobile: »www.voip.ms/rates.php?l=f

I don't know how cell phone companies are undercutting voip, voip are getting too greedy not passing down the savings I guess.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
Well with VoIP.ms it's not just France. There are quite a number of countries where VoIP.ms has a rather high termination rate (value route) compared to other VoIP, calling card, and even some mainstream long distance providers.

DanTou

join:2006-10-14
Quebec, QC
kudos:2
reply to newcust123
I've been with voip.ms for a while.

Can't talk about service, never needed it!

1 cent per minute but if you call somebody very often, you get both on the service: free calls between voip.ms customers.

voip.ms has a lot of features not available from Bell and others...

Like Ring groups: when somebody calls you, you can get your home phone, cell phone, and work phone to ring at the same time. You can answer any.

Caller Id Override and DISA. Useful when you have unlimited call to/from a number on your cell phone. When receiving a call, redirect to you cell while overriding you caller id with the one from home. All incoming from everywhere become free (at the loss of caller id). Call home, and with DISA set up right, you open an outside line: all outgoing calls are free on your cell.

It can be used on Android phone (using data instead of minutes). It's a little tricky to install but worth it. Not need for caller id override or DISA.

You can have multiple numbers in different cities so relatives don't have to pay long distance. You can also have 800 numbers.

Digital Receptionist (IVR): you can make menus: dial one to ..., dial two to ..., ...

Call forwarding: redirect annoying calls somewhere else. I redirect Bell's calls to Videotron's customer service.

There's more.

All the options are included for $1/month.

You need to buy an ATA. Also put $25 up front. Then have fun playing with all the options. But you don't have to. You can keep it simple.

Hope it helps.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
DID and incoming minute rates depend on your area code. So cost $2/month and ~1.5cents/min incoming.

As for an ATA, well you don't absolutely need one. There are plenty of decent free SIP softphones available.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Personally, I'd trust voip.ms more.

+1

Excellent, inexpensive, feature-rich service.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

newcust123

@bellmobilite.ca
Thanks for suggestion

st7860

join:2004-05-13
San Francisco, CA
reply to newcust123
dellvoice.ca

nonBell

@avaya.com
reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

I just found out Koodo offer 5c/min to France (landline or mobile) with the $2 LD saver add-on: »help.koodomobile.com/coverage-lo ··· distance

voip.ms charges 12.5c to France mobile: »www.voip.ms/rates.php?l=f

I don't know how cell phone companies are undercutting voip, voip are getting too greedy not passing down the savings I guess.

I think Kodoo just average out all users and terminations, because 5c/min for HK, UK and China are expensive (or even to other numbers in France at about 2c/min). In your case, voip.ms is not good for you, but I bet for some whose call pattern are to landlines only will prefer voip.ms over Kodoo.

nonBell

@avaya.com
reply to Shaman515
said by Shaman515:

Thank you BliZZardX, I will give him a try and as for the overseas calling, with the Home Unlimited World Plan
you get Get unlimited Local and Long Distance calls to more than 60 countries, including India, Mexico and the UK. No more counting minutes or worrying about pricey long distance calls.
Try it, If you don't like it or agree with it cancel it. I have it and call my buddy over in Whales and I don't get charges long distance charges

If your primary LD is to Wales, perhaps you should consider getting a UK number via UKDDI for free, so your buddy can call you using that number. (Assuming you already have an ATA). The problem is that you won't be able to initiate a call for free. But if this saves me $40/month, it is probably worth considering.