All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to slajoh01

to slajoh01

Re: Using Wireless Internet without a PC?

said by slajoh01:

Home desktop PCs are a down hill trend.

For the masses that think Facebook is the Internet, yes...but not for the professional power users.
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

I still think that home desktop PCs are going BYE BYE....Except for businesses and for developers.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by slajoh01:

I still think that home desktop PCs are going BYE BYE....Except for businesses and for developers.

aka those of us who actually use the internet for productive work, and those of us who make money off of consumers.

Thanks!
slajoh01

slajoh01

If one can indeed use a smartphone with a Wifi network without using a notebook or a desktop PC, then how can I configure my router since typing the router address of 192.168.1.1 into my phones browser, and it said ACCESS DENIED, CONFIGURATION IS NOT ALLOWED OVER WLAN...or something like that.

If one can use WiFi within their home WiFi network without using a PC or a notebook, then how can I configure the router itself if it does not allow me to configure it over a WLAN just by typing the 192.168.1.1 from the phone's browser?
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by slajoh01:

If one can indeed use a smartphone with a Wifi network without using a notebook or a desktop PC, then how can I configure my router since typing the router address of 192.168.1.1 into my phones browser, and it said ACCESS DENIED, CONFIGURATION IS NOT ALLOWED OVER WLAN...or something like that.

If one can use WiFi within their home WiFi network without using a PC or a notebook, then how can I configure the router itself if it does not allow me to configure it over a WLAN just by typing the 192.168.1.1 from the phone's browser?

What brand of router do you have? Almost all will allow configuration over the wireless, but the one you have must not. If that's the case, you'll need to either borrow a computer you can plug into it to configure it, or you'll have to bring the router to someone who can do it for you.

Once you are through the initial configuration, you should be able to use it without any problems.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to slajoh01

to slajoh01
As jcremin said, the VAST majority of wireless routers can be configured over wireless. I actually have never owned a router (out of the dozen or so that I've used) that disabled, by default, configuration over wireless. Never come across a home router anywhere where I've done computer repairs (so, another half-dozen router models at least) that had that restriction, either.
slajoh01

slajoh01

Well, this one is kind of bit on the high-end side as far as security the network.
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html

What area of the settings should I look at?

I know I have Remote WAN Administration management disabled for security reasons.

Is there anything I missed under the settings in regards to enabling to configure my router over WLAN from the phone"s browser?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by slajoh01:

Is there anything I missed under the settings in regards to enabling to configure my router over WLAN from the phone"s browser?

Here some info from the user guide

slajoh01

3 edits

slajoh01

Thats what I needed. Manangemanet via WLAN.

But this is disabled by default. If it is disabled by default and one has no PC nor a notebook or no Ipad, then configuring the router from a Smartphone is impossible unless the routers have it enabled by default which I doubt.

My scenario is this:

Would it be really possible to use the WiFi Home Internet without a desktop PC, notebook, or an Ipad and ONLY using my Android Smartphone to connect?
But if Management through WLAN is disabled by default in most routers, then no one can accomplish this task unless they take the router to a family or friend's house and configure the router there.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Right. But management over WLAN is enabled on most routers.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to slajoh01

to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

But if Management through WLAN is disabled by default in most routers, then no one can accomplish this task unless they take the router to a family or friend's house and configure the router there.

As iansltx said, it's typically not disabled by default. In fact, out of dozens of different brands of routers I've used, I've never come across one that had it disabled out of the box. You just got that "one in a million" chance of not having a router you could configure without plugging in to it.
slajoh01

slajoh01

This type of router is more on a higher-end scale as far as security goes. This is more for a small business type office which needs more secure routers to protect the router itself from attacks as well the PCs connected to it....
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by slajoh01:

This type of router is more on a higher-end scale as far as security goes. This is more for a small business type office which needs more secure routers to protect the router itself from attacks as well the PCs connected to it....

And the businesses will typically have hardwired PC's so it wouldn't normally be a problem for a place like that. I'm sure if you had used a normal consume grade router you would have been fine configuring it over the wireless connection.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to slajoh01

MVM

to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

Take the router to a location where you can use a computer to reconfigure the router
Jillxz
join:2009-02-18
Cochran, GA

Jillxz to slajoh01

to slajoh01
Hey , No way is my desktop going bye bye.