Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to axus

Premium Member

to axus

Re: Soak the rich!

said by axus:

Man, you need to make your sarcasm more obvious. I can't advocate him spending money for Seattle broadband instead of vaccines in Africa.

I'll be that guy that points out the drama and good press this creates while ignoring healthcare in the US. No sarcasm. Maybe if a bunch of well off job creators solved some problems in this country instead of creating wedges in society for political and financial gain it wouldn't leave people like me wondering why we need to help out poor foreign countries before helping out or own poor or lacking areas in the US.

Maybe if the Bill Gates of the world were actually creating something for Africa like manufacturing and local economies it would sit better but so far the people at the top seem to just be taking oil and diamonds and leaving religious wars behind in alternating swaths of the continent.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It would be ever better if Africa created manufacturing and local economies for Africa.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

It would be ever better if Africa created manufacturing and local economies for Africa.

And even that gets into rising needs for the US but I keep seeing things that say the US actually makes more things than ever so I guess I'm just not in the right market to ever own those things that have the old USA stamped on them. I'd like to kick the guy in the nuts that outsourced basic hand tool making to china. It also makes me wonder how china can make anything with those cheap tools or if they secretly have a domestic brand just for china because I can't see them assembling anything for very long with a wrench that says china on it.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

You are aware that Africa is a continent and not a country right?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Sure, didn't say it wasn't. There isn't any one particular county in Africa that couldn't benefit from an industrial economy fueled by their immense resources of labor and natural resources. If there was a particular country I had it mind, I would have mentioned it.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Sure, didn't say it wasn't. There isn't any one particular county in Africa that couldn't benefit from an industrial economy fueled by their immense resources of labor and natural resources. If there was a particular country I had it mind, I would have mentioned it.

So you're also aware that some countries in Africa are doing great and others aren't doing so hot, and that there isn't necessarily a continent wide strategy to address this?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Which countries are doing "great"? And this number, if it exists is high enough to not warrant an Africa-zone strategy for optimal economic development?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

if it exists is high enough to not warrant an Africa-zone strategy for optimal economic development?

Why do they need to carry the weight of the rest of the Continent? If they're capable they should be pursuing countries who can afford to pay top dollar for their products no?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I just asked which countries were doing "great". I don't see any doing "great". What I see is the African Union squandering an opportunity to be an economic superpower.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

I just asked which countries were doing "great". I don't see any doing "great". What I see is the African Union squandering an opportunity to be an economic superpower.

So, you want the African Union to attempt to become econonmically unified? It's working so well for the Europeans after all.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I don't see any doing "great".

Perhaps you should educate yourself about Africa, rather than dictating armchair economic policies to them.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
It's the unified currency causing the issues in the EU and there is no reason why an economic union would require a single currency. If Greece didn't use the Euro, they would simply print money and have higher inflation than say Germany. The Greek problem is the same as California's problem...they over-promise but can't print their way out of it like the Fed can. The AU members have their own currencies now, but they could work closely together on free trade agreements and economic resources, pooling their efforts for economic development. But that won't happen so long as corruption is rampant.
skeechan

1 edit

skeechan to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Perhaps you should list us these African nations that are doing so "great' as you claimed originally. Evidently it is you in need of an education regarding the economics and state of development (or lack thereof) in Africa.

Even countries you would THINK would be doing on the better end of good, like SA has a 24% unemployment rates despite tolerable GDP growth, which isn't stellar for an emerging economy.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Evidently it is you in need of an education regarding the economics and state of development (or lack thereof) in Africa.

I'm not the one who is trying to impose North American values on Africa:
said by skeechan:

So if you think that's such a great idea why don't you go and put your plan into action, rather than preach bootstraps here.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Still waiting for that list of African nations doing "great".

And since when is economic success a "north American" value? Surely it's a universal value, everyone wants their country to be successful.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Still waiting for that list of African nations doing "great".

Don't hold your breath.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Figured as much. Enjoy ignore.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Figured as much. Enjoy ignore.

LOL

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

The AU members have their own currencies now, but they could work closely together on free trade agreements and economic resources, pooling their efforts for economic development.

Not going to happen, since most will not pull their own weight, and have ongoing internal issues that need to be resolved like internal terrorism, civil war, genocide, border disputes with neighboors, etc.
said by skeechan:

corruption is rampant

That dosen't help either.
said by skeechan:

no reason why an economic union would require a single currency

There is plenty of reason for it, it allows for simpler currency markets, promotes trade with neighbors, and allows for simpler currency regulation. However the downsides are evident.