share rss forum feed

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to hortnut

Re: Does Comcast $7/mo modem include WiFi

But you can still do exactly what you are doing now with your own bridge modem and not pay the $7.00/month.

Your existing router plugs into the modem which has nothing inside to configure.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Unaware of the option and my Google juju today is not very good. Come up with a lot of hits for DSL modems.

Particular make/model on Comcast's list?

Another note: I travel a lot in summer visiting relatives/friends. I usually take the Router/AP with me and just plug into any available port on their router or switch. That way I do not have to mess with settings, passphrases and such.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by hortnut:

Particular make/model on Comcast's list?

Two are pretty easy to come by at almost any retail outlet. Do not buy off ebay or such...many used units are actually stolen and won't be accepted by Comcast (their CMAC will show up as bogus to provision). You won't know until you try to get it provisioned...buy retail or oem.

The number one recommendation right now is the Zoom 5341J. You can nab one at Best Buy, Staples, plenty of places.

The other suggestion is a Motorola SurfBoard SB6121.

The Zoom is an 8x4 (8 channels down/4 up) versus the Motorola's 4x4 configuration.

You also probably can get a Cisco DPC 3008 fairly easily. That is also an 8x8 configuration. For a little while Comcast had some issues with this modem, but that appearsdue to a firmware update that caused problems. It has since been rolled back and all appears well.
--
Deeds, not words

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to hortnut

I have the Zoom 5341J that I bought at BestBuy for $80. Not to be confused with the Zoom 5341, which is an older item.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Misunderstood. Not looking to buy a Modem at this time. Not sure when and if I will be moving to a new place and a different provider?

But have made note as to your recommendation and that of PeteC2 See Profile for the future when I am in more permanent digs.

Thank you.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

My bad, someone didn't want to spend $7.00/month and owning the modem is the way out of that.

The modems I looked at were all Cable Labs certified and stated to work on all US cable systems. Said so right on the box.