NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Manco9

Premium Member

to Manco9

Re: [IPv6] IPV6 Issues

The CMTS your connected to is a Cisco CMTS, so it isnt supported for native dual-stack at this time. So the 6to4 is the best option at this time.
Manco9
join:2012-06-08

1 edit

Manco9

said by NetDog:

said by Manco9:

I asked them about that and they said it just wasn't certified yet but it should work?!

Who is them? Just would like to know who told you that..

The customer service rep or are they tellers they have manning the windows inside? I should have known they didn't know much. When I was making the exchange I asked about Arris modems and the guy said the only model they have is "Gateway" as if that were the brand name. There was a woman with him too saying the only brand they have is "Gateway".

When I got the box I realized they were talking about telephony gateway.

Can't say I like it. When I got it home I couldn't figure out how to turn off the wireless functionality eventually I found out you have to call Comcast to get it turned off. Also there's no standby button like on my old modem.

Does Comcast have different modems for different areas?

I would have liked to buy my own modem but Comcast does my phones too and you can't seem to buy telephony models anywhere retail.
said by NetDog:

The CMTS your connected to is a Cisco CMTS, so it isnt supported for native dual-stack at this time. So the 6to4 is the best option at this time.

Okay but should the IPv6 functionality go in and out the way it does?

Thanks for the replies.
Gerard1234
join:2012-04-03

Gerard1234

Comcast wants you to think they are the only ones who can turn it off. But you can too remember to type in at the SSID: TIMEOUT.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Manco9

Premium Member

to Manco9
said by Manco9:

said by NetDog:

Ok first check with »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ and make sure your modem supports IPv6 on the CPE. I am thinking both of those models do not. Second PM me your cable modem mac and I will see if the CMTS your on supports v6. Most likely your doing a tunnel somewhere right now, do you have it setup for 6to4?

I saw that mydevice info.I printed it out and took it with me when I went to get the modem. There is no check next to IPv6. I asked them about that and they said it just wasn't certified yet but it should work?!

It's on auto-detect and indicates 6to4.

said by Manco9:

said by NetDog:

Okay but should the IPv6 functionality go in and out the way it does?

Try changing your router to 6to4 (if it allows you to do that) instead of using auto detect, and see if that helps with losing IPv6 functionality.
Manco9
join:2012-06-08

Manco9 to NetDog

to NetDog
Again thanks for the replies everyone! After putting the router on 6to4 instead of auto-detect yesterday I haven't lost ipv6 connectivity.
said by NetDog:

Thanks you. How will I be able to tell when it does support IPv6?

Also when it does I can put my router on DHCP instead of 6to4 right?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Manco9:

Again thanks for the replies everyone! After putting the router on 6to4 instead of auto-detect yesterday I haven't lost ipv6 connectivity.

First question: Keep an eye on »www.comcast6.net for Cisco CMTS updates. We are also working on a app\webpage to tell the users if they are on a v6 supported CMTS or not.

Second question: you are correct it should be as simple as changing from a 6to4 setup to a DHCPv6 setup.
56885201 (banned)
Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dawg
join:2005-05-01
Dawg House

56885201 (banned)

said by NetDog:

said by Manco9:

First question: Keep an eye on »www.comcast6.net for Cisco CMTS updates. We are also working on a app\webpage to tell the users if they are on a v6 supported CMTS or not.

Second question: you are correct it should be as simple as changing from a 6to4 setup to a DHCPv6 setup.

I have a Comcast issued Netgear WNR1000v2-VC with the latest V1.2.2.56NA IPv6 compatible firmware. It is currently working just fine using Comcast's 6to4 relay, but I notice that this router is no longer listed as IPv6 compatible on »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· egateway . It used to be listed there, does its removal from that list mean that I will not be able to use it for native IPv6 when Comcast enables it at my location?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to NetDog

to NetDog
When is the Comcast speedtest site going to reflect the IPv6 change?
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to NetDog

to NetDog
Not sure if this is considered an issue or not but I used to get an IPv6 address that had a lease time of 4 days which is the same length as my IPv4 address. Now the past few days I'm only getting a 60 minute lease time for IPv6. Anyone else seeing that?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Not sure if this is considered an issue or not but I used to get an IPv6 address that had a lease time of 4 days which is the same length as my IPv4 address. Now the past few days I'm only getting a 60 minute lease time for IPv6. Anyone else seeing that?

Not seeing this on my router.

Are you seeing this on the router or directly plugged into the router? I ask because it could be your own router's DHCPv6 server broadcasting on the LAN.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Click for full size
On the router.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

anyone else seeing the lease time only being 60 minutes for the IPv6 where it used to be 4 days?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Yep. I am currently seeing that too Mike..

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ok thanks.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

anyone else seeing the lease time only being 60 minutes for the IPv6 where it used to be 4 days?

I will work on correcting that, the IPv4 Address was changed back to 4 days so should the v6.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I never saw the IPv4 address lease higher then 4 days so I'm not sure what it was changed back to. Thank you for fixing things.