how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sparky19053

join:2011-10-03
Feasterville Trevose, PA

[DVR] Copying DVR content

Is there any way to extract the recorded content from your Verizon DVR other than play back and using a recordable DVD. Everything I have read says no but most of you guys are a lot smarter that me on this topic.
Thanks in avanace/

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

You cannot due to copyright

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to Sparky19053

said by Sparky19053:

Is there any way to extract the recorded content from your Verizon DVR other than play back and using a recordable DVD. Everything I have read says no but most of you guys are a lot smarter that me on this topic.
Thanks in avanace/

No FiOS doesn't offer the option on their DVR. You would need TiVo or Media Center.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Not in this case.. Everything (excluding some premiums) on Verizon is tagged "Copy-Freely". Verizon's DVR just doesn't have the ability to transfer recordings elsewhere. It works fine on a TiVo.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to Sparky19053

said by Jackarino:

Wrong.

Does this method no longer work on Motorola DVRs? It did.

Come on. It's in the FAQ, yet three experienced users jump in to give the wrong answer?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Good point. Forgot about the Firewire option. Isn't it still record in real-time, though?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Firewire does still work and, yes it is in real time......now, for me, on the channels I was testing (was doing it when I was going back and forth w/Vz on USA and SyFy issues), the flag would change in the middle of the recording on some channels, so the output was unreliable.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
reply to Sparky19053

said by Sparky19053:

Thanks in avanace/

Try the following Links

»www.hauppauge.com/site/products/···pvr.html

»www.hauppauge.com/site/products/···ing.html

»www.hauppauge.com/site/products/···sus.html

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···15116030

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···15116074

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···15116065

Enjoy.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Good point. Forgot about the Firewire option. Isn't it still record in real-time, though?

Yes, it's in real time. You kind of hit "Play" on the DVR and "Record" on the computer. But it's an option where you're copying losslessly the file as stored by the DVR rather than capturing the video from the video outputs in a lossy manner.

For the record, my Series3 TiVo transfers to the computer so slowly that it's basically real time. I hear that newer TiVos transfer much faster.

Sparky19053

join:2011-10-03
Feasterville Trevose, PA

Guys really appreciate the great information.
Thank you everyone.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18

said by Sparky19053:

Guys really appreciate the great information.
Thank you everyone.

Your Welcome. Enjoy

THoff

join:2004-01-15
Santa Monica, CA
reply to Sparky19053

Another excellent option for capturing video from your DVR without resorting to analog capture is the "Game Capture HD" from Elgato:

»www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmen···.en.html

Review:

»www.gamespot.com/features/637975···=6379756

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

Not sure that would work with the DVR, notice the XBox connection mentions unencrypted HDMI for the input, my guess is the DVR is going to throw up an HDCP error if you connect it to that device.

But, I could be wrong, happens a lot....