share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Cell Phone No Call List?

Is there a special list to put your cell phone number on to tell telemarketers not to call it? I know about the DoNotCall.GOV site but that's not done a damn bit of good.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

It's the same list.

Keep track of your callers and sue them for $500 a call.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to trparky
I file a complaint on donotcall every time I get a spam call. The calls eventually stop for those numbers I file a complaint on.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to trparky
As mentioned, it's the same list.

It won't work unless people start reporting the people calling. Also, the numbers can be faked. The DNC list only stops the legit people from calling.

Getting a smart phone and/or a Google phone number for more control.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to trparky
I use call block, and do not answer strange numbers. No crap calls at all.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to tcope
Agreed. The DNC list is a good idea and helps to cut back on spam from legitimate telemarketers but for the unscrupulous telemarketers the DNS list is just a list of known, good phone numbers for them to call instead of just robo-dialing. To make it effective for the ones who use it as a known, good list you have to report the calls. Otherwise they will just continue getting away with it.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

Getting a smart phone and/or a Google phone number for more control.

That is another good thing about Sprint. They have pretty robust call and text message filtering for free right on there website for your account.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

usingnutz

join:2011-06-08
Porterville, CA
reply to trparky
what make,model,and carrier.some you can block from phone or carrier

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to trparky
Google voice works well for this also. I have it setup. If you are not on my list, you need to say your name. Most drop at this time. Get very few calls now, and the ones I do get are typical for local stuff.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to trparky
I use both google voice and my t-mobile line has landline caller id. (Not just number, actual name).
I refuse to answer a phone call with the caller id name set to "scam call" (Yes, I get that one every few months)
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to trparky

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to trparky
quote:
If you continue to receive unwanted telemarketing calls, you can file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General in addition to the FCC and FTC.
»www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm···g-calls/

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Jackarino
from that site »www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume···107.shtm

FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent.
--
Of course I can keep secrets. It's the people I tell them to that can't keep them.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to trparky
As others have said, it is the same list. A phone number is a phone number irregardless of what type of device it goes to, be it landline, cell, fax, pager, or whatever.

Registering a number on the DNC list gives it all the protections the list was intended for.

Now whether or not companies or others abide by the law the DNC list dictates is another question.

Personally for me, I have found it to be quite effective at its intended purpose.

I also think that many people do not clearly understand what restrictions the list provides for. I beleive that many people think it means that by being registered on the list that you will not be called by anyone.

This is not true.

The intent of the list was to cut down on unsolicted sales type calls.

So calls with an intent on selling you something from a company you have never done business with are prohibited.

However robocalls at election time for politcal candidates are allowed. So are calls for random surveys asking for your opinions. So are calls from companies you have done business with in the past. Also allowed are calls solicting donations such as clothing for purple heart veterans.

andrewdna

join:2012-06-20
Las Vegas, NV
Mostly correct Boulderhill.
You can cut down on political calls by going to your local election dept and opt out. At least in Vegas you can. The politicians made sure they were exempt from DNC.

Once you tell a telemarketer to stop calling you, I believe they are supposed to stop. Most telemarketers will hang up on you if you demand the name of their company and their name and phone number (if you dont have caller ID) because they know what you are trying to do, which is to properly document and then turning that in to either your state AG or the FTC or DNC.