how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON

[Rant] [Rogers] data plan

Looks like Rogers might be trying to screw me out of my 6GB promotional cellular data plan that I've had since they first came out with the iPhone on their network.

On my latest phone bill, it has a note about how I have a Blackberry data plan and they've noticed I'm not using a Blackberry. I have until July 12th to switch back to a Blackberry(which I've never owned).

Going to call them today because it's a load of huey, but there must be other people here with that plan so look out for this on your next bill.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Must be a mistake. I've had my 6GB plan from the first iPhone as well. So far never had any issues renewing it when I upgraded to newer iPhones (though I skipped the 4S).

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by HiVolt:

Must be a mistake. I've had my 6GB plan from the first iPhone as well. So far never had any issues renewing it when I upgraded to newer iPhones (though I skipped the 4S).

You missed it. They are taking off the BB data plan because he does not have a BB.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

My impression was that he has an iPhone, because that's the only way you could get it at first.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by HiVolt:

My impression was that he has an iPhone, because that's the only way you could get it at first.

IIRC they offered to ALL smartphones during the iPhone promo periods.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to yabos

At the time the promotion was offered, they had two separate versions of the 6gb plan. They were identical except the Blackberry version included access to BIS.

The common practice at the time among many of the retail reps at Rogers was to stick everyone on the Blackberry version of the plan, as it worked on all phones whereas the non-Blackberry version didn't work on Blackberry devices.

As it stands now, it looks like Rogers is getting sick of paying RIM for BIS access that isn't actually being used.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I think they started to later, but not initially. I remember a friend of mine tried to get it with android phone and they wouldnt give it to him.

BryceS

join:2007-09-17
Vanier, ON
reply to yabos

I have the android 6GB data plan with APN3CON attached to it to give me BIS access.

yabos

London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Yes I have the iPhone 4S. If it's true that there were 2 versions of this promotional plan then it seems I might have been put on the BB version of it. Now... I wonder what'll happen when I call since they no longer offer it. I wonder if I'll be able to switch to the proper iPhone plan.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I looked at my bill and it shows "6GB Data Service Plan", it doesn't say anything else...

yabos

London, ON

Same as mine:

May 06 - Jun 05
200 Anytime Minutes Plan 20.00
iPhone Value Pack w/Unltd Msgs* 20.00
6GB Data Service Plan 30.00
Visual Voicemail 0.00
Tethering Access 0.00
9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee 0.75
System Access Fee 6.95
Total before taxes: $77.70

HST (862395381 RT0001) 10.10
Total for Wireless: $87.80

BTW, yes I know this is quite expensive and I'm going to haggle once my contract is up.

There's no indication that this is a BB plan other than a special note that was on my bill.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I looked for such a note but didn't see any...

BryceS

join:2007-09-17
Vanier, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I looked at my bill and it shows "6GB Data Service Plan", it doesn't say anything else...

There were three data plans in summer 2009.

Android | HTC Dream & Magic
iPhone | iPhone 3GS
RIM | Blackberries

A lot of reps simply put everyone on the Blackberry data plan, so that in the future the person could pop their SIM into a Blackberry and it would work.

Over the years, this has meant Rogers has spent millions in royalties to RIM for having BIS access granted to clients who aren't even using it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to yabos

This is something that is ticking me off. Wasn't the iphone supposed to have Visual Voice Mail by default?

I called them the other day and they told me it was "extra".

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

It was always extra here on Rogers... In the US it was always included, even on the original iPhone.

I dont want or care for voicemail, so this was never an issue for me.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

All I can hope is Apple bakes AWS into the Iphone 5 (or will they just call it an "iphone") and I can jump to Wind.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by elwoodblues:

All I can hope is Apple bakes AWS into the Iphone 5 (or will they just call it an "iphone") and I can jump to Wind.

Yeah that'd be nice, but still doesn't solve the problem for me up north...

Besides, Wind still has some ways to go even with city coverage... My brother has the Galaxy Nexus on Wind and he's griped about the spotty coverage within Toronto. I've talked to him on several occasions and the call dropped or paused then resumed... He had the old iPhone 3G on Rogers before and he said it was waaay better in terms of coverage.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

yabos

London, ON
reply to yabos

Gave Rogers a call and the tech support rep says I can ignore the message. She put a note on my account to that effect. Hope she's right!

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to elwoodblues

the bill message might have been sent in error, if u have the non bb 6G plan please disregard it then.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to yabos

Expensive is an understatement.. I have something very similar, for less then 40 with tax.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to yabos

said by yabos:

Gave Rogers a call and the tech support rep says I can ignore the message. She put a note on my account to that effect. Hope she's right!

A manual note won't do anything if the system is going to automatically remove it. I hope she's right, too.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

T-Mobile is beginning to re-farm part of their spectrum to allow current iPhones to work on their network. I know that they did it for this week's Apple WWDC in San Francisco, and I believe that they are doing this in a number of other markets. If it becomes widespread then I think you can kiss the thought of an AWS iPhone goodbye.

Even LTE has something like 37 bands in it. Which ones do you think Apple will tune the iPhone to?

yabos

London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

My contract isn't up until Nov 2013 so I'm not sure what bargaining power I have to get my cost down until after that.

That's why I've now bought my 4S outright. That contract is still based on my 4 being subsidized. I'm not going to be doing these 3 year contracts anymore, it's just not worth it IMO.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to corster

said by corster:

At the time the promotion was offered, they had two separate versions of the 6gb plan. They were identical except the Blackberry version included access to BIS.

The common practice at the time among many of the retail reps at Rogers was to stick everyone on the Blackberry version of the plan, as it worked on all phones whereas the non-Blackberry version didn't work on Blackberry devices.

As it stands now, it looks like Rogers is getting sick of paying RIM for BIS access that isn't actually being used.

That is it exactly.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to yabos

Here is the funny part, is that I got my costs down from $96 to under $40, almost 100% on getting the data plan cost down.

I went from $80/month for 5Gb to $30/month for 6gb before discounts, by simply calling up and asking for the better price.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to yabos

said by yabos:

That's why I've now bought my 4S outright. That contract is still based on my 4 being subsidized. I'm not going to be doing these 3 year contracts anymore, it's just not worth it IMO.

I think it's worth it. You just have to play Rogers at their own dirty little games. Either way, you don't get much discount for a BYOD. (if any) So you might as well as save the $500 on a subsidized device, IMHO.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by elwoodblues:

T-Mobile is beginning to re-farm part of their spectrum to allow current iPhones to work on their network. I know that they did it for this week's Apple WWDC in San Francisco, and I believe that they are doing this in a number of other markets. If it becomes widespread then I think you can kiss the thought of an AWS iPhone goodbye.

Even LTE has something like 37 bands in it. Which ones do you think Apple will tune the iPhone to?

I would have to surmise that at this point the Iphone "X" is done if it has AWS, it's not going to be removed because T-Mobile is refarming their network. Right now it's a matter of scheduling production and getting phones into the stores and wireless companies for the launch.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yabos

London, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

I think it's worth it. You just have to play Rogers at their own dirty little games. Either way, you don't get much discount for a BYOD. (if any) So you might as well as save the $500 on a subsidized device, IMHO.

I like being able to threaten to cancel Even still I might be able to negotiate being on a contract. I'm going to give it a shot. I just don't like being in perpetual contracts if I upgrade my phone every 2 years or so.
But yeah, I don't get any kind of discount for BYOD.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by yabos:

said by J E F F:

I like being able to threaten to cancel Even still I might be able to negotiate being on a contract. I'm going to give it a shot. I just don't like being in perpetual contracts if I upgrade my phone every 2 years or so.

Threaten, and don't forget the outrageous ETF fees.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yabos

London, ON

said by elwoodblues:

said by yabos:

said by J E F F:

Threaten, and don't forget the outrageous ETF fees.

Yeah, I think it's not going to be easy(or possible) if I do try while still on a contract.