Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to Fat City

Premium Member

to Fat City

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.257

Thank you Fat City. I'm not happy about that since I only use 32bit browsers on those computers (although I believe they both have 64bit IE's installed). Is it then necessary to find and use the Flash uninstaller?

I wish they wouldn't complicate things.

Sincerely, Libra
Fat City
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

Fat City

Premium Member

Libra, the uninstaller will remove both versions (I tried that while I was playing around with different versions). I suppose you could open your 64-bit browser and disable the Flash plugin if you wanted to. For me, it's not a big deal, and I'll leave both of them as they are. Originally, I was just curious about the workings of this new installer; now I know.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you again, Fat City, for finding that out. I'm waiting for the problem with Firefox to be fixed before I update it.

Meanwhile, I was looking for the Macromed folder in System32. I found it in my 32bit Vista computer, but when I looked in Win7 64bit, Macromed was located in the sysWOW folder. I did show Flash to be 32 bit though.

Sincerely, Libra
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

If Vista is 32bit flavor that's correct or you may have installed a Flash Player 32bit version only.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I was surprised to see the Flash32 in the sysWOW64 file in the Win7 64bit computers since I installed only Flash 32 in them and expected to see it in System32\macromed.

Sincerely, Libra

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 recommendation

bluepoint

In a 64 bit computer, all 64 bit files/libraries goes to SYS2 and all the 32 bits goes to SYSWOW64. So yes, you will see the 32 bit flash player in SysWow64\macromed.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

> SYS2

Sysnative perhaps.

File System Redirector

The %windir%\System32 directory is reserved for 64-bit applications. Most DLL file names were not changed when 64-bit versions of the DLLs were created, so 32-bit versions of the DLLs are stored in a different directory. WOW64 hides this difference by using a file system redirector.

In most cases, whenever a 32-bit application attempts to access %windir%\System32, the access is redirected to %windir%\SysWOW64.