Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lockejcole

join:2010-06-11
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

Is this forum only for Cogeco haters?

I ask this as a thread posted recently (now locked) with someone giving a little praise for having a solid connection got attacked by the 'regulars' who sit around flaming Cogeco any chance they can get.

Topic: »Great Download Speed

If that is all this forum is for, I guess I might as well unsubscribe. Someone posted they were happy and all anyone has to say is "quit now" blah blah.

I am one of the few around here who does appreciate my Cogeco connection. Solid, stable, fast. If I can't voice my opinion here without being attacked, this place really has sunk into the ground.

Go ahead, try to convince me that Cogeco is evil. No downtime for as long as I can remember, no slowdowns mid-day, solid fast ping rates. Reliability still counts for something, not just how many files I can push through the pipe in a month. I do a lot of online gaming, and I'm usually one of the best pings in the server.

Sooo many advantages to Cogeco over the little guy. Don't have to buy my own modem, which also means if the modem dies or needs replacing its covered. 24-hour support, if I ever needed them. (haven't in a long time). So if bandwidth is all you care about, then sure run to the small-fry, but quality > quantity for some of us.

Shyte
Premium
join:2002-02-27
NF, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

To answer your question, yes pretty much. There a few users here who are on an obvious witch hunt for Cogeco. Like I've said in previous posts, I've been with Cogeco since the @home days and had a few problems here and there but most were fixed up in a timely manner by Cogeco employees here. Sure I may pay a bit more but I'm not considered a really heavy downloader so the caps are perfectly fine with me. I've come close to the 80g a few times but that's it. I'm on the turbo 20 and couldn't be happier.

Shyte.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to lockejcole
Wait until you get your first overage bill that doesn't jive with your records!

PS: I didn't have to buy a modem outside of Cogeco.

Lets not stray from the point of the post you were referring to. He said he was happy with 2MB/s on his 20Mbps connection. I know I wouldn't be happy for paying for a service and getting less, I guess in your world its OK.

I was a 15 year Cogeco customer until they called me every dirty name in the book when I called in to complain about the overage for the previous month. I have never called in, I had never complained ever in 15 years. Every answer I had the rep had a smart ass reply. So I simply voted with my money and left.

In the end after contacting the CCTS, I got all my money back.

lockejcole

Hamilton, ON
Alright, so you had a specific bad situation and have plenty of reason to dislike Cogeco. I still don't see why that is a reason to rain on any sunshine that gets posted. There are many other threads for that, and I felt this guy got stomped on unfairly.

As for the watching out for overage bills, its never been a problem here at home. I check my bandwidth regularly and unlike the majority of posts here I see about the meter, I find it to be accurate enough for my personal usage. It has always been about on-par with what I thought I had used. I never get within 500mb of going over or anything, so I don't have to worry so much about nickel and dime accuracy. I know this is important for some, but for me personally it hasn't been an issue. I use maybe 150GB/month on a good month.

Yes, I might use a lot more if I didn't have such a cap, and I have voiced my opinion on here that I do feel the caps are too low, but that wasn't the point of my post really. That is the main downside in my eyes for them, but I've managed to adjust my usage to fit in. Here in lower Hamilton there are not a lot of great alternatives, I have tried a few, but so far with reliability being the big one for me, Cogeco is A+.

PS: You mention you did not have to buy a modem outside of Cogeco, I notice your reviews that you have moved to Start.ca - I have looked into them myself but I thought you had to either rent a modem for a monthly fee or buy your own? Is there some promotion I don't know about?
Expand your moderator at work

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to lockejcole

Re: Is this forum only for Cogeco haters?

I never worried about overages either, until I got hit with a 90GB overage that was no where near my usage.

Yes I rent the modem, so if it goes tits up I will get a new one. Your rental is built in to your pricing structure.

What sunshine was posted? Buddy is getting 4/5ths the speed he is paying for. Why is that acceptable? When I was with Bell I called in because my so called 5Mbps DSL was running at less than 100KB/s. When I called to ask about my speed issues they told me me I was on the 1Mbps profile because the lines in my area are junk for DSL. So did I find it acceptable that I was paying for 5Mbps service (Yes I know its Up To), but only getting 1Mbps?

Sunshine is when your service is 20Mbps, and you are getting 25Mbps. Perhaps we have different standards.
Expand your moderator at work

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

join:2002-11-14
reply to lockejcole

Re: Is this forum only for Cogeco haters?

Thanks Mate, I received a vary vulgar Pm from a guy...should I post his comment and name?
--
Party On Garth! ... Party On Wayne !
Shwing!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by shwing:

Thanks Mate, I received a vary vulgar Pm from a guy...should I post his comment and name?

Sure, if you want to break site rules.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to lockejcole
For clarity:
Public listing of IM's are against site policy.
They should be reported to a moderator via IM

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.

mcelotto

join:2002-11-19
Windsor, ON
reply to lockejcole
I want to throw my 2 cents in. I'm happy with the service I'm receiving from Cogeco as well. We don't even come close to the caps, I don' think even when the caps were not enforced that I came close to them or went over. The speeds are consistent with the Turbo 14 package. All in all we are happy campers in my household.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to lockejcole
said by lockejcole:

I am one of the few around here who does appreciate my Cogeco connection. Solid, stable, fast. If I can't voice my opinion here without being attacked, this place really has sunk into the ground.

My Cogeco review encapsulates my feelings on Cogeco, where my point clicking lead to a 70%, which feels accurate to what I'd give if I were asked to give them a percentage.

I'm extremely happy with the reliability, I barely ever have issues and if I do they're physical or environmental issues, and I'm very happy with the speeds; however I'm unhappy that I'm paying $140 for 'unlimited 30 Mbps' when I'd rather be paying $140 for 'unlimited 50 Mbps'.

At the end of the day, I'm extremely happy with what I'm getting with my business account... while I'm extremely unhappy with how much it costs to get that account.

said by lockejcole:

If I can't voice my opinion here without being attacked, this place really has sunk into the ground.

It has. Sadly that's what this forum has turned into, which is probably why there's a lot less Cogeco employees who regularly participate and why some regulars participate less. I have a feeling that a few people feel their crusade has an impact on Cogeco's business (it doesn't).

Edit: Although lately, things seem to be moving in a more proactive direction. It would be nice to have a return to a community with users and employees helping users, as those users aren't going to change ISP's and genuinely need help.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
said by urbanriot:

I'm extremely happy with the reliability, I barely ever have issues and if I do they're physical or environmental issues, and I'm very happy with the speeds

At the end of the day, I'm extremely happy with what I'm getting with my business account...

I have no qualms with Cogeco's service when it comes to connection reliability. Unless my modem breaks or the weather changes my signal, I'm always online. I've never had problems with Cogeco claiming I used more than I do. (On average I use about 60gb of my 200gb limit -- although I'd use more if I had the upload speeds)

My only real beefs are with how they run their mail/DNS servers, and their "secret" QoS that they employ on undesirable content. If Cogeco followed the network neutrality rules and ran their equipment in a sane matter, I probably wouldn't complain so much.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
What's wrong with their mail / DNS servers? I've never had an issue with either one.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
said by urbanriot:

What's wrong with their mail / DNS servers? I've never had an issue with either one.

If you run your own, and use Cogeco as an outgoing mail relay (as you're supposed to), occasionally you'll run into problems where they don't want to send your outgoing mail. One day your queue will get backed up, and it's because Cogeco's DNS servers can't resolve any addresses for hosts on your domain. I had to reconfigure my DNS server from scratch 3 times because of it.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to lockejcole

To directly answer your question : No it is not.

However, allow me to suggest some 'required reading' before you can say "All is well in Cogeco-Land" :

THESE (MY threads) :

»Why Cogeco Subscribers are NOT Notified

»Cogeco's Broken Usage Meter

»Who has their Modem Return Box ?

and THESE (Selected other folks' threads) :

»"Undesirable" customers: Cogeco, Audet

»Cogeco cancelled, incompetence continues

»Cogeco Freedom Day

»[Windsor] Well Thanks For Nothing. So Long..

»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

BTW, yes I switched directly from Cogeco to START's cable offering thru the Cogeco network, and would suggest it to ANYONE who was a beef with any of Cogeco's policies, politics, email service management, and their draconian low monthly usage caps with high UBB rates.

With START, you get the best of both worlds :

(1) Solid network for which Cogeco is known, and

(2) None of the BS which I briefly described above and detailed in some of the threads which I linked further above.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

lockejcole

Hamilton, ON
Now do get it straight before you drop in here saying I claim "all is well in cogeco-land" ... I never said any such thing. I said -MY- service was golden, and said that there should be room on this forum for both positive and negative topics without the positive ones being overrun by people encouraging people who are satisfied to jump ship any way they can.

I am a regular on these boards and I have read all the above linked topics, it does not change the fact that my internet is stable, fast and reliable. The three things I need it to be. I am simply tired of the handful of haters (many of which are not even subscribers to Cogeco service anymore) who think its a conquest to drown any sunshine on the boards. Can we not have some balance and let people be happy if they are happy?

In the end its your choice to hate Cogeco, disagree with their policies or whatever, but its also our choice to stick with it if we are satisfied with our services. I am not blind to whats going on, it simply does not affect me or the service I have gotten thus far.

kittyburgers

join:2012-01-31
Yes, I would agree with you. I indeed find it a very oddball forum; certainly not very helpful in any meaningful way. I am mainly satisfied with cogeco as a provider, however, I have taken note that the customer service is not what it once was. There isn't any real competition here where I live, so I'm stuck with it for now. START seems like it might be an interesting alternative if the speeds would match those of cogeco, but something tells me that isn't happening anytime soon.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to lockejcole
I have no real issues with Cogeco myself. I switched to a business account (no overage charges, although I'm usually well within the limit of the account I chose). My connection is rock solid and my speed is pretty much always perfect. The one time I had issues, Marcer stepped in and had it fixed without me even calling in. However, I do see the side of those who complain about overage charges. My bandwith meter is not accurate, however, unlike others, mine is almost always lower than actual.

It is unfortunate that those who are unhappy with, and have chosen to leave, cannot resist belittling / browbeating those who are happy with their service.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to lockejcole
I've been with Cogeco since the the first month they arrived in Peterborough and have been happy with the speed and support has been excellent.

I have posted this numerous times. My only issue now is their cap which I am living with.

Unlike others in here I have an excellent alternative ISP to go to that Cogeco can't match with regular pricing but I haven't been driven to switch yet.

rkage

join:2009-09-21
canada

1 recommendation

reply to lockejcole
I'd say it isn't just for haters, but haters whether former/current customers sometimes feel really burned by this company.

For me, the service was always stable - except for that time they upgraded the area and the local node head was across the street. I had too high of a signal and required a resistor on my modem. What a horrible problem to have indeed.

That being said, I'm leaving Cogeco - for me, it does not make fiscal sense to stay with them and there wasn't much attempt to keep me either, more of a 'Give someone else a try and if you're not happy Cogeco will gladly provide you service'

My personal view is that incumbents will continually see a decline in subscribers simply because they never really understood why they had subscribers in the first place. Customers had little to no choice, and by driving up prices, issuing cap overages you essentially create competition because now there are people looking for alternatives. The incumbents are basically goading people into leaving.

This, to me, speaks volumes about Cogeco's attitude towards their customers - they're viewed as cattle, herded and milked until they die - and then considered to be "undesirable" if they leave.

So, you may enjoy your service now, solid, stable and fast - but there will be a time when you revisit the forum to complain.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to lockejcole
said by lockejcole:

Now do get it straight before you drop in here saying I claim "all is well in cogeco-land" ... I never said any such thing. - I said -MY- service was golden, and said that there should be room on this forum for both positive and negative topics without the positive ones being overrun by people encouraging people who are satisfied to jump ship any way they can....

I agree with you that there are some extremists posting here, and I do not share all of their rhetoric (though some ).

My last post was not directed so much at you specifically - I just hit the larger 'Reply OP' button out of convenience.

I did also read the thread which got locked the other day, and do feel that some of the stuff in there got excessively negative.

However I also do hope that you and any other readers PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME to read as many as possible of the threads which I linked in my earlier post, as there is much truth interwoven with the negative rhetoric in them.

I give Cogeco credit when & where it is due, as recently as in my last post.

They have built a robust network, and if they could just drop the stupid politics/policies and lower their prices somewhat, they THEN would be 'Golden' and I never would have had reason to leave in the first place !

Remember I did try them before START came to Cogeco-Land, and if anybody thinks that I happen to speak negatively about GOUGEco (Cogeco), just check my post history for what I have in the past said about BH#$ELL ! (Bell)

Regarding Internet Service Providers, it takes more than just a solid network to be regarded as doing a good job for one's customers.

--

-

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

join:2002-11-14
reply to lockejcole
sorry, I didn't know about posting PM's, I won't do it again
--
Party On Garth! ... Party On Wayne !
Shwing!

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
I am an undesirable. I had Cogeco Cable since 1998, and left them in 2009-10 when they switched to the UBB model. Here were some of the issues I had:

- In 1998 I had a Lancity Modem which gave the user 60 KB/sec of bandwidth this was great for a few years.
- 2001-2 or so they pulled my LanCity and replaced with the Samslug. This sucker got 3 MB/s down but could only upload at 12 KB/sec. This created a huge backlash which resulted in Cogeco holding a town hall meeting about this. In the townhall meeting they told us to bad and live with it. So you can already see how this company listens to their customers.
- 2004 I moved to Burlington and took my Cogeco cable modem with me. I had never ending issue with the Modem going up and down. Got worse when it rained.
- 2009-10 They annouced UBB policy. Once I saw this and the contant price increases I decided enough is enough. Changed over to Teksavvy 5 Meg unlimited which saved me 12 bucks a month. I believe I was on Cogeco 10 meg plan at that time.
- 2010-11 My parents went over the limit and got nailed by UBB. This happen when they weren't even home for the month. So I switched them to Teksavvy as well. Had a good arguement with the client services about this and in the end they didn't even attempt to retain us. Yes we still got billed the overage.

I just got tired of hititng this BS Usuage Base caps. I used to hit Cogeco hard cap which left me with no internet for weeks. Once they decided on UBB the writing was on the wall.

UBB is about making money. I just don't want to spend time checking Cogeco Usuage meter to insure I don't go over. Nor do i want to sit on a phone and dispute this numbers with them.

I have had my ups and down but the UBB decision pissed me off. Enough is enough. I switched to Teksavvy, and had some ups and downs but atleast they push for higher caps. They switched from 200 to 300 gigs. They atleast look after their customers, so until Cogeco re-thinks there policy I will never go back.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

said by urbanriot:

If you run your own, and use Cogeco as an outgoing mail relay (as you're supposed to), occasionally you'll run into problems where they don't want to send your outgoing mail. One day your queue will get backed up, and it's because Cogeco's DNS servers can't resolve any addresses for hosts on your domain. I had to reconfigure my DNS server from scratch 3 times because of it.

Ah, yes, I was expecting some kind of fabricated issue but I completely agree with you there, at least concerning their mail server. I often have email bounced back to me for no legitimate reasons, you can send from any other email service and even your own Exchange server, but forward through Cogeco and you'll get a late return.

My favourite / most annoying bounce is when you email someone and refer to antivirus software and your email is bounced back the next day due to virus like activity. "Ohhhh, you want to give someone advice on their infection or protection? Too bad, we don't let our customers do that... but we won't tell you until the next day!"

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
reply to lockejcole
said by lockejcole:

Now do get it straight before you drop in here saying I claim "all is well in cogeco-land" ... I never said any such thing. I said -MY- service was golden, and said that there should be room on this forum for both positive and negative topics without the positive ones being overrun by people encouraging people who are satisfied to jump ship any way they can.

I am a regular on these boards and I have read all the above linked topics, it does not change the fact that my internet is stable, fast and reliable. The three things I need it to be. I am simply tired of the handful of haters (many of which are not even subscribers to Cogeco service anymore) who think its a conquest to drown any sunshine on the boards. Can we not have some balance and let people be happy if they are happy?

In the end its your choice to hate Cogeco, disagree with their policies or whatever, but its also our choice to stick with it if we are satisfied with our services. I am not blind to whats going on, it simply does not affect me or the service I have gotten thus far.

As with anything in life, you have to decide what works best for you. I would agree that looking solely at the quality of my internet service, Cogeco is doing just fine. My speeds are as advertised, there are some slow downs during peak hours, but nothing which impacts service, and I can't remember when I last had outage.

All positives.

Now in terms of value, as a 10+ yr subscriber, my value has been consistently dropping. I get less now than I did 10 yrs ago, but am paying considerably more. 5 yrs ago I wouldn't have considered moving to somewhere that Cogeco service wasn't available...this time next year I may well not have any Cogeco services left.

I would also add that Cogeco is not just an internet provider.

I pay close to $2500/yr for a fairly basic 3 pack - phone, 14meg internet and 3pack HD TV. That's a lot of money.

The phone is standard fare. Nothing exceptional, but meeting expectations. The Cable internet is expensive for what I get, but much better than any alternatives, so it has been bearable. The TV service is horrendous. Despite paying for the channels, I end up downloading the x264 caps of the shows we watch as the pixellation is unbearable. Probably should cancel it, but there are programs that the wife and kids watch real time.

When our contract is up this summer, I will probably go Cogeco free. I already intend to change to Start for internet - I will be getting 4x the data cap and 2x the speed for the same amount. That just makes business sense.

Not sure if we really even need a land line, but may keep a basic service, not sure with who yet.

TV will be looking to port to Shaw Satellite as a trial. Similar pricing but more channels and better quality.

So, to answer your question, no it is not all about hate. But a lot of us are frustrated over years of what can only be called abuse. Lack of options have led to 'just having to put up with it'. Now that options are out there, many are leaving.

I am glad you are happy with your cable internet. But consider not just the service, but the price you are paying for it, and make sure you have critically appraised the options. You may come to realize that you aren't as satisfied as you think.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
said by diskdocx:

....So, to answer your question, no it is not all about hate. But a lot of us are frustrated over years of what can only be called abuse. Lack of options have led to 'just having to put up with it'. Now that options are out there, many are leaving.

I am glad you are happy with your cable internet. But consider not just the service, but the price you are paying for it, and make sure you have critically appraised the options. You may come to realize that you aren't as satisfied as you think.

I have already done much of what you describe (including the change to START, which so far is very encouraging), but I do not have the extra cash to spare as I'm cash poor right now - but THAT's just the point.

With increasing costs on SOMETHING nearly every time one wipes one's arse (and this includes HST on things in Ontario which never had it before, such as home heat & electric, & gasoline), one simply is FORCED to be more budget conscious, even if one was otherwise COMPLETELY in love with everything else about the various telecom services to which one already subscribes.

And paying over $200 per month for combined telecom services ?

It makes me think that I should start a consultant company which analyses and advises folks on how to best save and still keep a reasonable service arrangement, tailored to each particular community and to the client's needs.

I wonder how many folks would pay me a one-time fee of $50 to review their telecom bills and propose for them a better deal ?

Hmmmm....

--

-

vuarra

join:2005-10-11
Hamilton, ON
reply to lockejcole
This forum is about Cogeco.

My beefs with them are that their data cap is too dang low. Everything else about them was excellent, but I could not afford the overages that they were charging.

I'm glad you like what you are paying for. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. Having said that, not every one here is going to agree with you.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
this form is for people who like cogeco too.

cablesmurfet

join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON
I agree. I like Cogeco. Even though I switched to Shaw Direct for my TV, I still have phone and Internet from Cogeco, and am satisfied with them as a company. Any problems we have had have been solved, and the CSRs are friendly and willing to help.