Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

Re: [Vanilla] Good read on the Golden Age of World PvP

So that I understand, your question is:

If a Prot aggro's NPC's AND has enemy players on him, will vengeance proc?

Yes, I'm quite sure the NPC's would proc Vengeance and it would not be wiped simply due to the presence of PvP players.

It's just coded to only proc from NPCs, but not to wipe in the presence of PvP.

Hopefully I understood?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

precisely.
said by DarkLogix:

Also hows this for an idea

Sounds like an intricate blend of Zangarmarsh and Terrokkar pvp events. Not bad. I dislike the idea of opening a dungeon (we don't need another TB or VoA). The spirit shard mechanic was nice... just grant a little extra JP to the controlling faction, or give them minor Archy bonus to artifacts per dig. Whatever it is, it should be something that I would NEVER want unless I decided to join in the reindeer games (pvp).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Immer:

precisely.

said by DarkLogix:

Also hows this for an idea

Sounds like an intricate blend of Zangarmarsh and Terrokkar pvp events. Not bad. I dislike the idea of opening a dungeon (we don't need another TB or VoA). The spirit shard mechanic was nice... just grant a little extra JP to the controlling faction, or give them minor Archy bonus to artifacts per dig. Whatever it is, it should be something that I would NEVER want unless I decided to join in the reindeer games (pvp).

It needs to be something that will keep people interested

Maybe special discount VP/JP vendors, though the interest in saving JP/VP by using them might diminish

It might be something like BC but in my idea one tower per zone, and every zone gets a tower, even one in a dalaran like zone if it exists (have a small PVP area with the tower)

Then make each zone get some perk if its held and the side holding it wins, something like more XP, more rep in that zone that has the annoying rep grind, health buff for the hard zone, maybe faster node respawning for Herb/mineing/ect, ect

but then if your faction got the majority of the zones that round then something special and long term interesting would open

Just not a single zone PVP area, the point of my idea is to spread it over the WHOLE MOP area, all MOP zones

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

right, I was thinking "blend of Zangarmarsh and Terrokkar pvp expanded to the whole map" but it didn't all make it to text, lol.

As for keeping people interested in pvp... Nothing about pvp is enduring. The fights are short... the corpse runs are short... the "victory" is short. It's repetition at its finest. The only thing that gets long is the rez timer if you are being focused or camped.

Oh, and I totally mistyped earlier when I said "JP". I meant Honor points. World pvp should provide a bonus to pvp only. Honor points for HK farms make sense. Discount Honor/Conquest vendors might be cool... differing slightly by zone, achievement for collecting a special item from each of the vendors on a continent.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

OK, maybe a full group of discount JP/VP/Honor/Conquest vendors

but it'd be hard to win, the fight would be so wide spread and you'd have to hold the towers you claim till you have a majority and then 5 more min

the reason for 5 more min is maybe have an achev for getting all of the zones, make it a steped acheve, like majority +1, +2... +all

Also it might make a good reason for flying PVP vehicles, to help get people to another tower

And as to the issues
Short fights, the whole event would be untimed so if its at 50/50 and people give up someone could sneak in and grab 1 tower

Make the runs like on battle grounds when you've died attacking or defending a tower

As it'd be so spread out it'd take some time to win and the fight could go back and forth as you and a group of good players try to go take another tower and some bads are defending a tower you just claimed, also when the 2hours inbetween are up have the towers go neutral and port anyone standing on one away so no one has an advantage at the start.

The idea is make the fight interesting for PVP'ers and Pve'ers though not critical, so people would get into it but wouldn't feel they must do it, but then a guild might say, hay we have a new member lets get the vendors open to us so we can gear the newbe, or we have people leveling lets make it easier to get em to 90, or we need more flasks lets go get that zone so our herber can farm faster, ect

so some would want one zone's perks but would need to win to hold the perk for two hours.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

The only angle they should take on "making it fun for PvErs" is to make them feel like they are missing out on a major portion of the game by not engaging in PvP. No justice or valor points/vendors... leave those in the capital cities.

World pvp runs counter to leveling toons. Maybe if your faction controls an area, you get level-appropriate pvp vendors or quest hubs for pvp loot? That could work. Then there would be the added incentive of "loggin' your main" to help win a zone so that you can log your new alt and do the pvp quests first for better survival. (I just realized that I'm judging this idea based on current pvp/pve gear disparity... I have no idea if my concerns matter in the MoP framework).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

IMO it should be something like if you win you'll progress faster

be it by saving the 4 types of points when buying stuff as that seems like a good genral perk for wining the whole thing, then have some other perks per zone for the zones you won if your side won the whole thing.

So if you're side keeps winning you might want to focus on the zone you want the perk from, to help level you prof or to level an alt faster, or to gather matts for something

IMO my idea would mean a small discount on VP/JP/honor/Conquest points so if your capped you might be able to buy 1 more item, maybe a 2200 item would become 1900 just a small bit but just enough so maybe you get 1 more item that week, and then your guild gets gears that much faster so you can do the current tier faster

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

IMO my idea would mean a small discount on VP/JP/honor/Conquest points so if your capped you might be able to buy 1 more item, maybe a 2200 item would become 1900 just a small bit but just enough so maybe you get 1 more item that week, and then your guild gets gears that much faster so you can do the current tier faster

frankly, I find the mixing of pve and pvp rewards to be a horrible model for 2 reasons:
--it blurrs the lines between PvP and PvE servers. If the rewards and such are purely pvp centric, then there is nothing "missing" from the PvE servers.
--It encourages bad pvp. You get PvE geared folks trying to do pvp just for pve gear. It makes for bad pvp and horrible pvp experiences for those who don't want to pvp.

we already have the means to convert pvp currency to pve currency... so there is no need to make any singular even pay out both. Pvp earns Honor... PvE earns Valor... and if you want to convert the currencies for whatever reason you use a vendor to do so.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well you wouldn't be earing points just a limited time discount on spending them.

and you wouldn't have people autoflaged for pvp but if they aren't flaged then they couldn't capture the tower, and if they sneak on the tower unflaged then flagging themselves would port them away.

So the Pve'ers that don't want to PVP the reward would be minimal, but a nice perk for top guilds who hopefully would pvp with pvp gear to get the towers, because pve geared would be cannon foder.

For It would be something on all servers just optional so if you want to take part go for it if not don't, if you're a Pve'er and crap at pvp let the Pvp'ers get it done or become cannon foder.

you wouldn't have the limit on numbers that TB/WG had just all out server wide war for however long it takes, if there are a few bad Pve'ers pvping well they likely won't be in your party unless you invite them.

Also it'd be interesting to see some freshly respawned PVP'er running across the feild to get to the tower while some PvE'er is herbing or questing, so it'd server to liven things up

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

Arthritis to Immer

to Immer
Firstly, I have no real idea what Blizzard developers are thinking with this change and really none of us do and are left to speculate.

But one of the things that made Vanilla and BC enduring in my opinion is that you were actually immersed in the world. You died frequently while levelling from mobs every day…show of hands, who hasn’t been roflstomped by a Murloc?

And just when you were starting to get powerful and in the 50’s, you’d meet other characters in quest zones that would wipe you out. You’d call for help and hope it came, and if not you travelled to another zone where you could hopefully quest in peace.

There was a sense of immersion and paranoia right out of the gate. You were in an actual world, and you could get eliminated pretty quickly if you weren’t careful. There were consequences for your actions, among your faction and your enemies. A whole faction of races hated your very being for being who you were and would kill you on site if they could, but at the same time respected you as a feared warrior of your faction were you to be successful. Reputations and followings were built on actions and conduct, not videos and sponsorship. It forced you to band together for a common goal of survival, it forced camaraderie and respect among your server mates. Guilds were a necessity for a survival as you gained levels No faction changes, no name changes, no heirlooms. All were equal, and separated only by skills and by loot pillaged as through adventures we undertook in the world. Titles were hard, hell….. healing was hard.

I enjoy the storyline of Wow immensely and the way it’s been presented in game. But since Wrath, I went from feeling part of a living, breathing storyline to feeling like a production worker. It lost some of that magic for me. This is my hope for Mists, that some of that magic returns.

And I have to respectfully disagree…PvP is most certainly enduring in the world of Warcraft storyline…..you’re at war, and there have been many injustices and atrocities committed by both factions. Still waters can run very deep, and there is a player base that will try to find the odd zone where your race has to pay for the actions of your forefathers. And when you ask for help, you might be amazed at how quickly people respond and an all-out war can break out over one tiny little NPC.

It’s not to be an asshat, it’s revenge for what you and those who fly your banners have done. I would expect someone of an opposing faction to swing an axe at me should we happen to be at the same NPC at any given point in time. Not because they can, but because they should. If we land at the same node to gather, we should have to fight for it…we’re both trying to feed ourselves and our brothers and use that profit for further adventures.

I believe at the end of the day, at max level you should be able to choose what path you want to take…PvE, PvP or a mixture of both, you’ve certainly earned that right. But in the journey to that end game is going to be hard for your, and so it should be. I’m thinking this is what Blizzard is trying to recapture.
Vinceruos_t
join:2012-05-04

Vinceruos_t to Immer

to Immer
All you need to do to promote world PVP is just have intersecting quest hubs, and dont allow flying mounts. Thats it rly. Just make sure the quests provide adequete incentives so that people keep doing them. Thats it, the rest will work itself out. I am not a fan of zangamarsh tower capture type world pvp because then you get into server inbalance issues. Even if you provide an awesome bonus to whoever is holding it the faction that is getting killed all the time is just going to get sick of it and not even try anymore. Firelands dailies was the best world pvp that Cata had, but it was an instanced zone so I know thta they can do a lot better.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof to Arthritis

to Arthritis
said by Arthritis:

There was a sense of immersion and paranoia right out of the gate. You were in an actual world, and you could get eliminated pretty quickly if you weren’t careful. There were consequences for your actions, among your faction and your enemies. A whole faction of races hated your very being for being who you were and would kill you on site if they could, but at the same time respected you as a feared warrior of your faction were you to be successful. Reputations and followings were built on actions and conduct, not videos and sponsorship. It forced you to band together for a common goal of survival, it forced camaraderie and respect among your server mates. Guilds were a necessity for a survival as you gained levels No faction changes, no name changes, no heirlooms. All were equal, and separated only by skills and by loot pillaged as through adventures we undertook in the world. Titles were hard, hell….. healing was hard.

agreed

Back then, people and guilds built reputations on their servers. On the RPPvP server i played on there were KoS list for certain opposing players and guilds. It really enhanced the immersion factor within the game.