share rss forum feed

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to valk_2k

Re: [OOL] Can't get max boost speeds on wireless laptop; normal?

You'll never get max speeds on WiFi from what I have seen over my years of experience

valk_2k

join:2009-08-01
Brooklyn, NY

said by Jackarino:

You'll never get max speeds on WiFi from what I have seen over my years of experience

I dunno about that because if I bring my laptop close to my router I get like 45-55mbps! If I just bring my laptop 30ft my speeds are cut in half. Is my router really that weak!? I have a Intel Centrino Wireless N-1030 chip btw

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Did you verify it's actually running on 802.11n?

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz? If your router supports it, try switching to 5GHz.

You can also try different channels that might have less interference.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

valk_2k

join:2009-08-01
Brooklyn, NY

said by Thinkdiff:

Did you verify it's actually running on 802.11n?

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz? If your router supports it, try switching to 5GHz.

You can also try different channels that might have less interference.

I just ran a speed test next to my router I got 54mbps down! Took it back to my living room and got only 25mbps! I dunno how much ghz my router supports and I dunno how to check if my chip is actually running on 802.11n! I have this router btw »www.staples.com/Netgear-N300-Wir···t_746737

I did have a technician that came to my house once to repair my cable told me I should get a gigabit router to get max speeds but I didn't know if he's right.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Your router does have Gigabit ethernet, but it's irrelevant for Boost Plus and Wifi anyway.

That router seems to only support the 2.4GHz band. The best you can do is login to the router and change the wireless channel to something else (hopefully less populated).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!