Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

[FiOS] Frontier came a-knocking on our door

So a Frontier guy just knocked on our door and said that they were going to be working in the neighborhood over the next few days. He asked if used FiOS and I said yes, TV and Internet. He asked if we noticed any issues. I said that maybe the upload wasn't as consistent and as fast as it used to be but nothing worth complaining about. He said they were going to be making some adjustments to the signal strength and hopefully that would help -- and that they had had quite a few phone calls from our neighborhood apparently. I asked if there would be any interruption in service and he said no...

So we'll see, I guess!

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

So... did they help?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Not so that I've noticed... but I don't know when exactly they were doing the work ("next few days"). I did see a Frontier van one street over and a few blocks away on Weds...

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to darcilicious

Too bad, I was hoping you would get instant gratification.

klipko

join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR
reply to darcilicious

I wish they would knock on my door. Got an awesome new Speedo to show off.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

LOL! Now you're scaring me!

klipko

join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR

said by darcilicious:

LOL! Now you're scaring me!

It's only scary if I pick something off the floor...or do some plumbing.

millerzone

join:2004-10-15
Kirkland, WA
reply to darcilicious

"signal strength"

Is that an issue for fiber?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

It is. If the laser isn't coming in clean enough or is too dim the equipment on either end will not work properly. It usually means there's leakage in the cable, it's a very long run past what the lasers can handle and it's not being amplified, or the fiber is bent too sharply some place. It could also mean the fiber is broken some place but not exposed.

stillatftr

@frontiernet.net

Sounds like sales contractors working the door to door rounds. Maybe his round about way of making a sales pitch, who knows - but it's not true that Frontier is doing any work to make any "adjustments" in the field.

Fios is a PON. As in Passive. There is nothing to adjust in the field. The light leaves all of the Central Offices at the same levels.

justatech

join:2012-07-06
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to darcilicious

Just a contract door 2 door boob. If they want to up your speed all they have to do is change some provisioning on your account and poof. The only guys that come out to work on stuff affecting customer's in an area are the guys who fix light problems on the fiber and that is only 1 or a few strands at a time as found on service calls.