Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to robbin

Re: Code enforcement demolishes House next door

Click for full size
said by robbin:

I looked real closely at the pics and I can't see a sidewalk on either side. Where is it in the pics?

It's right between the two properties.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by Critsmcgee:

It's right between the two properties.

in my town we had quite a few of those, due to the above mentionned issues they have gotten rid of most of them, there was a street that was shaped like a letter P, it had 3 of these pedestrian cut throughs at various locations, all have been removed now.

Nick_L
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Critsmcgee

Does this park area end at your property line or does it continue behind the property in question? I was thinking, perhaps an agreement with the neighbor on the far side (and the city) could be worked out. Move the "right of way" to the middle of the now vacant property. You get rid of the "traffic" right next to your home and both you and the neighbor would gain some extra green space. Of course the property would have to be purchased and the details worked out with the city, blah, blah, blah, but it might be worth looking into if you plan on staying there for a period of time.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is what it looks like now.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

Whoever paid them to clear and "clean" the lot should demand a refund on some of the money. That is a lousy job of clearing and leveling the lot.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to KrK

Much better! I don't think they did such a bad job, all things considered.

I know everyone has been saying "buy the lot" - do you actually have any interest in purchasing the lot?

Judging from the neighbors houses, it looks like a well established neighborhood where someone might be interested in building again.
--
...because I care.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

Whoever paid them to clear and "clean" the lot should demand a refund on some of the money. That is a lousy job of clearing and leveling the lot.

It isn't like a new house is immediately going back in there. Foundation-grade leveling is overkill for an empty lot. Would you want your tax dollars to pay for a "perfectly graded" empty lot?
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Fronkman:

said by Jack_in_VA:

It isn't like a new house is immediately going back in there. Foundation-grade leveling is overkill for an empty lot. Would you want your tax dollars to pay for a "perfectly graded" empty lot?

I was more referring to the unsightly weeds and other vegetation the failed to remove. Look closely at the four pictures:

»Re: Code enforcement demolishes House next door

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded. Otherwise it's just going to be an overgrown weed and junk tree eyesore. They could have left the house there if that's the case.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Squatters can't live in weeds and trees (well, I guess they can). An empty lot isn't a fire or safety hazard.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded.

Probably not part of the demolition contractors contract.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

said by John Galt:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded.

Probably not part of the demolition contractors contract.

I don't know, I hired a demolition contractor to do my landscaping...
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

said by Fronkman:

I don't know, I hired a demolition contractor to do my landscaping...

Well then, that was part of his contract. As to the demo contractor in the discussion, probably not.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Squatters can't live in weeds and trees (well, I guess they can). An empty lot isn't a fire or safety hazard.

True but that lot compared to the rest of the neighborhood is an eyesore.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Less of an eyesore than the house. When communities take down buildings - they need to do it as cheap as possible. They are going to require full landscaping unless you and your friends would like to pay a lot more in taxes.

Especially in communities that have a lot of houses than need to be taken down.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain