Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS

Switching to mediacom today. What to expect?

So today I have an appointment from 10am-12pm for a Mediacom tech to install 12/1 internet. I've been planning the switch from ATT DSL for awhile now, and my contract is up at the end of this month, but the online promotion they're running for $9.95 for 6 months was too good to wait on. I'm currently paying $19.95/month for 6mbps DSL. I have to say that other than one bit of technical issues, my DSL has been rock solid, with 100% uptime for the year that I've had it (and for the many, many years I had it at my previous address in Mississippi). Billing has been less stellar, but for the last few months has been correct. My pings are nice on DSL, at 8ms to the first hop consistently.

What should I expect on Mediacom in terms of bandwidth, reliability, and ping times? I know every area is different (I'm in Mobile, AL), but any general information would be great!

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
I've had solid as a rock speeds. Very little downtime outside of the maintenance windows. Speeds are also always higher than my official speed due to over provisioning. I am on 12/1 and almost always get at least 24/1.5. I'm in Iowa though. Not sure about the network down in Bama.

betas

@altorfer.com
I've had mediacom internet in two different locations in Iowa the western side of the state and eastern. Both locations have been great uptime and speeds similar to the post above : )

OverUtilized

join:2011-03-30
Traer, IA
reply to brandon
I personally live in a small town in Iowa. In this town Mediacom oversold the market and had to many users to handle. I would experience .5 mb/s download speeds consistently for well over a year. Mediacom always gave me credit on my bill but they would never admit there was nothing they could do until finally I exhausted every avenue with them and i got the truth. What bothered me about it was their approach, Mediacom for 9 months or so would send a tech out every time I called and they would replace things and say see if that works when they knew it was not going to. They replaced the line from the pole to my house, all the cable on the house, etc... Probably had tech over 15 times. They always send support but their honesty is a little in question. That being said I have had them for a long time but probably would not if I had any other viable choice.

brandon
Premium
Hurley, MS
reply to brandon
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, the tech visit just ended, and I had some questions that hopefully can be answered. The tech was a Mediacom contractor, and was generally friendly and efficient.

In the first photo, you'll see the splitter is installed inside my house right by my modem. Typically, I have seen these installed outside for cable TV (back when I lived in my old house), and it's installed outside on my DirecTV. I actually wanted to know if it was entirely necessary anyway, as there is nothing else using the coax. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was, but it's been a long time since I've done anything with cable.

I also wondered if the line going to the tap needed to be in any sort of conduit since it's running underground, or if it's ok as is.

Lastly, the tech was checking to find which outlet was the one the modem was connected to, and in the testing process, stripped off all the old lines and just kind of left them. Is this ok for if I ever need to use those lines in the future? I mean I know you can just cut off the ends, but is this usually how it's done?

Another thing--according to the promo, I have WiFi included free for 3 months, and then I pay the going rate. I obviously don't want to do that and have my own WAP that I'd like to use. I'd also like to set up the modem/gateway they gave me (Cisco DPC3825) to work within my current network, rather than reconfiguring my entire network around its addressing scheme, but I can't figure out how to access the admin page (currently it's 192.168.0.1, but I don't have a username and password to access it. Is this even given out?)

Lastly, I'm going to call ASAP and cancel the WiFi so I don't get charge for it, but are they going to switch me to a different modem to turn the wifi off? How does that work, exactly? I've never been with a provider that charged for wifi, so I'm not even sure how they would control it (unless they never actually give access to the admin page!)

TIA!

brandon
Premium
Hurley, MS
reply to brandon
Speed tests look pretty good, though.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2019650648.png

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to brandon
Glad to hear that you're trying our services out. I'll be happy to help you out with any questions or concerns you have with your Mediacom service.

It is strange the splitter is installed right before the modem. The first thing that comes to mind is the signal to your modem may be a bit too strong so that was added to lower the signal levels.

Typically, the drop to the house is buried without any conduit. I would leave it as it is in the photo.

If you would like to message with your phone number or service address, I can check over your account to see how the wireless service will factor in here. Also, I can retrieve the password for the router as well.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

brandon
Premium
Hurley, MS
pm sent.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
why did they not clean that up? looks like crap. is mediacom so cheap they did not include a NID to make that look cleaner.

brandon
Premium
Hurley, MS
said by GLIMMER:

why did they not clean that up? looks like crap. is mediacom so cheap they did not include a NID to make that look cleaner.

I had kind of expected one, to be honest.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Glad I was able to assist you. Feel free to PM me any time you're experiencing service issues.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to GLIMMER
SDUs are recommended but not required. Also we try not to put holes in brick walls unless absolutely necessary. Plus with all of the DirecTV wiring in that area I am not surprised he didn't install an SDU.

One thing I don't like is the way he installed the ground block. I sure hope he used some grease but I doubt it since they are always in a hurry to get the job done.

Leave the splitter in place. Default login page is

»192.168.100.1 and leave both user name and password blank. Make sure you change the channel frequency from auto to something else.

PS you should get rid of that gateway. Don't pay for wireless service just get a decent modem.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Anonymous:

PS you should get rid of that gateway. Don't pay for wireless service just get a decent modem.

Just wait until after your 6 month promo price runs out, then buy a modem and then you'll save the $5/month charge.

brandon
Premium
Hurley, MS
This is probably what I'll do.

Dinah

@sbcglobal.net
reply to brandon
So, have you had problems with your signal yet? I live in Oak Grove, KY and Mediacom has failed us in both Internet signal strength and Customer Service. We lose Internet capabilities at least twice a month, sometimes days at a time on each case. Good luck calling their so-called Customer Service agents. If you have another choice, get another provider. Otherwise, expect them to raise your rate soon....

Anonymous
Premium
IA
If you register you will be able to send messages to mediacomchad and he can help you with your problem. It seems he gets way better results compared to the outsourced tech support.

Posting messages like that will not solve your problem.
--

evilbender

@myvzw.com
reply to brandon
Be prepared for disapointment. I live in Des Moines, IA and have Mediacom. We have been anxiously waitimg for Century Link to up the speed in our area. First I pay $60/mo for a 10mbs connection and routinely only clocks around 6mbs mediacom assures me ik not being throttled and the techs claim no issue at my home. We routinely spend around 1 week a month of combined time down. They price like they're the only game in town, steer clear is my recommendation.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
evilbender,
Might need to work with MediacomChad a bit if you are only getting 6 meg. Standard service is 12/1.

I get

from Des Moines at 9pm on a Friday night.

I'm hardly ever down. I think I've noticed maybe 1 outage in the last 1-2 months. I'm not going to say there weren't more, but that is all I've noticed.

evilbender

@myvzw.com
I would but our internet has been down ALL day due to rain.

p51d007
Naa-P51d Mustang

join:2002-06-07
Springfield, MO
reply to brandon

Been pretty good

Had a couple of glitches here & there, but over all, it's been a smooth ride. If it wasn't for mediacom Chad, I probably would have gone back to DSL full time. He's a lot easier to deal with than "press 1 for English...your hold time will be xxx minutes".
--
Coming to you from the home of Ozark Mountain Country. Where the air is clean, fishing is great, and we actually wear SHOES!

ryanh

join:2012-07-01
Westville, IN

1 edit
reply to brandon

Re: Switching to mediacom today. What to expect?

except for this month's issues, overall has been fine

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to brandon
Hi Brandon...I sent you a PM, but really intended to post here as a response. I am in West Mobile, near Airport and Snow. My service has been good so far, with only a few minor things...You can read my review thus far under reviews. I get really good speeds, and channel bonding is now deployed in our area as well.

I also have a few friends in the area of West Mobile, and they have had pretty good service so far, one friend in Hunters Ridge, and another in my immediate neighborhood that have been happy when I have spoken with them about the internet connection they receive.

caseywor

Orlando, FL
I guess it is worth repeating that it seems to depend on where you live, but in the West Mobile area, Mediacom seems to have things working pretty well.

brandon
Premium
Hurley, MS
said by caseywor:

I guess it is worth repeating that it seems to depend on where you live, but in the West Mobile area, Mediacom seems to have things working pretty well.

I also live in West Mobile near Airport and Snow (off of Johnson, to be exact). So far, service has been excellent.

caseywor

Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom
OK....that is not far....I am in Trailwood...The thing I took as a good sign when I decided to try Mediacom is the fact that the overhead plant in my neighborhood looks to be fairly new and in good repair although this neighborhood isn't new. Someone appears to have spent some money on upgrades in the area.

Bierboy

join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to evilbender
said by evilbender :

Be prepared for disapointment. I live in Des Moines, IA and have Mediacom. We have been anxiously waitimg for Century Link to up the speed in our area. First I pay $60/mo for a 10mbs connection and routinely only clocks around 6mbs mediacom assures me ik not being throttled and the techs claim no issue at my home. We routinely spend around 1 week a month of combined time down. They price like they're the only game in town, steer clear is my recommendation.

Depends. I wouldn't say "Be prepared for disappointment" because, in our market, Mediacom has been rock solid for us. Very few outages, speeds as advertised, and with Mediacom Chad's help, any issues are resolved quickly. That's not to say you won't have problems where you are, and, certainly, there are Mediacom markets where there are issues that we don't have in the Quad Cities. My only gripe is that their pricing is too high for the services. But, if that's what we have to pay for solid, dependable service, then I'll pay for it...

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
evilbender, if for any reason you run into service issues, I would be more than happy to help as well.

zocor

join:2003-08-11
Roselawn, IN
reply to brandon
If you buy your own Modem make sure you label it that it is yours. Last year I switched to phone service and the tech swapped out our modem and took mine because my wife didn't know any better.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
said by zocor:

If you buy your own Modem make sure you label it that it is yours. Last year I switched to phone service and the tech swapped out our modem and took mine because my wife didn't know any better.

Techs know if you own or rent.
--

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
said by Anonymous:

said by zocor:

Techs know if you own or rent.

No they don't. I had to have Chad change my records to show I had a customer owned modem. Many customers who had their own modems from years ago did not have that indicated on their records. I know several myself.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.