MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

Just some thoughts related to safety:

Is this garage attached to the house ? Is the room above the garage considered living space ?

Walls and ceiling of the garage will most likely require a minimum fire rating (1 hour unless local codes require more, less if there is a sprinkler system). Doors between garage and home also need to be fire rated (steel or solid wood doors, hollow core interior doors are not permitted).

If the garage and home have a common roof, spread of a garage fire through the attic to the home is also a concern.

If the garage floor is slightly sloped towards the garage door flammable liquids (gasoline) will drain away from the house (as well as making it less likely for rain water to enter the garage).

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
Thanks for the framing pic!

Question: Will you be going with spray insulation (closed or open cell) or traditional fiberglass/batts ?

Were you planning (future) to use space above garage for storage or living? Consider noise of garage doors and R value of the garage (insulated doors, E rated windows..)

Though I hear nothing good from owners of additions with skylights (leaking, hail...), using outside lighting (domes/skylights or even dormers) makes a difference for roominess and lighting. Or heck, that large roof could be home to a PV array!

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cableties:

Question: Will you be going with spray insulation (closed or open cell) or traditional fiberglass/batts ?

Were you planning (future) to use space above garage for storage or living? Consider noise of garage doors and R value of the garage (insulated doors, E rated windows..)

Though I hear nothing good from owners of additions with skylights (leaking, hail...), using outside lighting (domes/skylights or even dormers) makes a difference for roominess and lighting. Or heck, that large roof could be home to a PV array!

The second floor isn't being finished yet so no insulation. I'll be going back next year and doing bats myself most likely. We're planning to use that room as an office/den/man cave type thing once it's finished. For now it's going to be storage so all the 'junk' my wife has in the basement will move above the garage. This way we'll get the 1,208 sq. ft. finished basement back! That means I get my pool table.

-------------------------------
I bought these quiet garage door openers already for the project. The city expects the permit to be approved Friday and the contractor is shooting for Wednesday to demo the existing 1 car garage. I'm going to finish cleaning the garage this week-end and I'll take pictures of the empty garage before demo.
Draiman

Draiman to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

The windows in the entire garage will be energy star rated .30 and the garage doors will be R9.7 I believe. We're planning to add a solar array to the garage roof next year so for now nothing fancy like skylights.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

1 edit

Bruschi to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

For now it's going to be storage so all the 'junk' my wife has in the basement will move above the garage.

You know once the wifes "junk" is up there it will never leave.