uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Apple granted patent to pollute data collected on you

Apple has been granted a patent that in effect creates a cloned persona online and intelligently pollutes the data collected about a person as they traverse the internet. It is a persona designed to appear as a real person in order to fool online trackers.

It sounds almost like what the Federal Marshalls do when they create a false identity for people put in to the Witness Protection Program(WITSEC).

I can't believe the Feds would ever let Apple actually implement the tools talked about in the patent.

Anyway, here is the news item going in to GREAT detail about the patent.
»www.patentlyapple.com/patently-a···ent.html

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit

I can believe anytihng,TRUST ME!! (No matter how stupid it is)

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

2 recommendations

reply to FFH5

Re: Apple granted patent to pollute data collected on you

On the surface it might seem like a benevolent move on the part of Apple but things are often not what they appear to be.
Personal data collection is the driving force behind the internet today with Billions of dollars being invested to that end.
Competition is fierce between the players, shameless buyouts, sellouts, corporate espionage etc... rule the field.
Poisoning the data of competitors would make it worthless, forcing the buyers to buy from the only reliable source available - Apple.
Guaranteed, Apple will be able to strip out the poison they added.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Snowy:

On the surface it might seem like a benevolent move on the part of Apple but things are often not what they appear to be.
Personal data collection is the driving force behind the internet today with Billions of dollars being invested to that end.
Competition is fierce between the players, shameless buyouts, sellouts, corporate espionage etc... rule the field. ...

Sometimes having a patent for doing something means simply that nobody else can do that same something... and in this day and age, it's within the realm of possibility that a patent can be merely a tool to block somebody else from doing that 'something'. I have a hunch a patent issued for a thing like this would be worth a whole lot more to one of the big data mining houses than it would be to Apple - which makes it something of major value for Apple to sell to the highest bidder. Not accusin', just sayin'... only time will tell.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Erin Pena

@reserver.ru
Actually Apple put the patent on it so they could bury it, and nobody could use it. Sometimes patents are taken by major companies for suppression purposes. This I believe, is the case here, we won't hear about this again - it will simply drift off into oblivion like water powered cars, cancer healing devices, and mystery free energy inventions. So wave goodbye to the benevolent sounding technology.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

I can believe anything,TRUST ME!! (No matter how stupid it is)

. . .

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to FFH5

Do I now have to start paying a licensing fee to Apple?

This could be a great revenue source for Apple from spy agencies around the world. I can't believe they were granted a patent for it, but with the patent office, stupid is the name of the game.

Blake
Or maybe not Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
It's hard to believe that IBM or even Unisys did not have a patent on this or something sufficiently similar long ago.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
said by rcdailey:

It's hard to believe that IBM or even Unisys did not have a patent on this or something sufficiently similar long ago.

I think the problem is the declining intelligence of the patent office, as its pretty apparent that they won't refuse a patent no matter how stupid it is anymore.

Time to get rid of the patent office.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

3 recommendations

reply to Dude111

Re:  

Russian2

@centurytel.net
reply to FFH5

"In some embodiments, at 160, the cloning service may perform a wide range of automated actions consistent with the assigned areas of interest. Examples of these actions may include, but are not limited to, performing an Internet search on a given area of interest; activating selective results that when analyzed conform semantically to the area of interest; activating advertisement banners in web pages; filling out electronic surveys; sending an email; engaging in rudimentary online chat discussion"

So it would use your real name to make fake fodder online. This sounds like spam and clicking on banners with viruses is bad news. Sending email bot sounds like spam again. Network all this as one and you could seriously do some damage.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Erin Pena
said by Erin Pena :

Actually Apple put the patent on it so they could bury it, and nobody could use it. Sometimes patents are taken by major companies for suppression purposes. This I believe, is the case here, we won't hear about this again - it will simply drift off into oblivion like water powered cars, cancer healing devices, and mystery free energy inventions. So wave goodbye to the benevolent sounding technology.

+1
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to dave

Re:  

said by dave, replying to caps lock fanatic Dude :
We know.

Do they have a reliable Miracle Mineral Solution to cure a defective keyboard?
--
~ The fool is one of the wisest people of all ~

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to DownTheShore

said by DownTheShore:

said by Erin Pena :

+1

Aah, so this is like Google's "Don't be evil" code of ethics.
How's that been working out over the test of time?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I think the problem is the declining intelligence of the patent office, as its pretty apparent that they won't refuse a patent no matter how stupid it is anymore.

One of the problems is in their business model. They directly benefit from selling registering patents. The more they sell/register - the better their financial status... I think it's obvious. And to sell it you don't have to possess any kind of noticeable intelligence too...

said by Link Logger:

Time to get rid of the patent office.

Completely agree... Especially taking into consideration, that instead of promoting innovation (the initial primary goal it was actually designed to serve) now it's often used for suppression of innovation. In other words, not to help to innovate, but to help and promote anticompetitive practices by big corporations... And this process must be stopped.

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...