share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to robbin

Re: Check my math - Propane vs. NG cost comparison for BBQ

said by robbin:

Can you find anything to back up their claim that 17 pounds is the correct fill for "safety reasons and laws"?

It's purely economic as NFPA 58 allows a 20 pound cylinder to be filled with 20 pounds of propane.

Down here if I take my tank to an AmeriGas filling location and am serviced by a guy who has a clue, he will fill the cylinder with 20 pounds of propane, if he understands to add 4 or 5 pounds to the total weight needed to compensate for the weight of the filling valve. Conversely if I exchange my cylinder at an AmeriGas exchange location I will get a tank back with 15 pounds of propane in it.

With exchange you are getting easy propane based on a per tank price and depending on local propane prices that can be quite a rip…

Now propane exchanges do provide a useful service, they are a great place to dump out of date non-ODP tanks in exchange for in-date OPD equipped partially filled tanks.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV
said by 49528867:

Now propane exchanges do provide a useful service, they are a great place to dump out of date non-ODP tanks in exchange for in-date OPD equipped partially filled tanks.

Wayne

Thanks.. You have me thinking now!
--
Hey There, Voter! Do you remember that on Inauguration Day (Jan 20th) 2009, the national average for a gallon of gasoline was about $1.78? How's that "Hope & Change" working out for you? Anyone But Obama Nov. 2012.