Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigfam

join:2009-11-04

2 edits
reply to technocar2

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Got cogeco last week. Plagued with DNS is

Why would a company purposely cripple features?

From doing some googling it appears theres no way I could update the firmware myself even if I had access to the rogers firmware. (the white modem/router combos that bell gives had I always switching the firmware around)

So I guess the only way for the firmware to be updated would be someone in cogecos NOC would update it via docsis. Can anyone who visits this forum do that?

I am considering switching services again, even though cogeco is the fastest around. but I want control. I want to use my own APs ( i live in a large property) and have all my data routed through a linux box.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6

said by bigfam:

but I want control. I want to use my own APs ( i live in a large property) and have all my data routed through a linux box.

When you had the modem put in, did the technician not ask if you wanted a regular Cisco DPC3000 without the wireless?

bigfam

join:2009-11-04

Nope, he just put hooked it up. (he wasnt a cogeco tech, just someone from a local contracting company that does BELL/COGECO/OTHER ISP/PHONE/TV providers...

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to bigfam

said by bigfam:

Why would a company purposely cripple features?

cableco's have been doing it to STB's and prebuilt PVR's for some time now... it's nothing new.

long story short, cogeco doesn't want people changing settings that would break their internet connections. it makes more work for them in phone support, but those are the breaks.