Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tholly911

join:2012-05-30
Pasadena, TX
reply to Dude111

Re: Facebook pushes security tips to all its users

Just earlier tonight I saw a Facebook commercial where a late teens to early 20's girl quotes having read somewhere that old folks get more anti-social as they age and how this concerned her ... so she insisted her retired parents participate in Facebook. The young girl was not impressed her parents had 18 or 19 friends because she had somewhere around 587. The message as I interpreted it was that socializing at the extreme levels is the new normal.

How is it Facebook needs to campaign and advertise for the masses to socialize? The commercial reeks of psychological mind control gamesmanship. I can admit to having matured beyond my wild and carefree attitudes into a marginally conservative and cautious individual. There are many additional activities other than Facebook that I have or am willing to speak out against: drug abuse; tobacco usage; drinking; dropping out of school; being among the following of any tight, cult like group led by a charismatic egomaniac; gang membership; excessively elevating animal rights; excessive environmentalism; using violence to spread your message of love and peace; forfeiting the right to own firearms; the loud playing of violence oriented rap music; (and many more). This list reflects my value system. It reflects my belief and honor system. It defines who I am. And let there be no mistake ... the level of socializing Facebook promotes does make my list due to concerns about the participating individuals' privacy and safety.

At the same time ... I would reject a society where individuals have lost the right to make choices that could indeed harm them. Freedom is complex and my biggest concern about Facebook is my belief it promotes a progressive agenda mindset whose end game includes the loss of many freedoms that most have enjoyed. Furthermore, any suggestion to not discuss any and every imaginable topic is attempted censorship and demands a challenge.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by tholly911:

...my biggest concern about Facebook is my belief it promotes a progressive agenda mindset ...

Being a grumpy old-ish man, I was with you there until the above. What is 'progressive' about Facebook? This seems like a knee-jerk political reaction: you don't like Facebook, you don't like 'progressives', therefore Facebook is progressive?

To my mind, Facebook exemplifies right-wing corporate data-control monopolistic anti-democratic thinking Sure, I'm saying that in jest, but it's at least as valid as yours, considering that Facebook exists to make a lot of money for someone, which is hardly one of the usual 'progresssive' values.

tholly911

Pasadena, TX
Dave -- Look at the actions and not the words. Some of the richest folks around are those that preach progressive ideology and whose actions are just the opposite. (e.g. Al Gore?) Say you are for the individual and enrich yourself using political ploys and legal manipulations at the highest level. Essentially stealing from the masses, the tax payers ... that money did come from someone that had to loose it. If you can stomach a long and mostly boring history of money in a documentary that has amazing predictions right at the end >>

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9wYu1SR1Wk

Observe the predictions made in the documentary and the time frame they were made. Then ask yourself if you have noticed over the last decade any push towards one global bank/currency, a strengthening of the fed, threats against gun ownership, or many other signs the US is being shaped into a Europe. That documentary teaches the history of the fed. Absolutely amazing stuff. It also teaches about the finance of war. Scary stuff and eye opening. I keyed it up and watched 30 min a day until done ... I could not take it all in one viewing. Again, the big bombs of truth ring out in the closing predictions of the documentary. And how can I lump all this into a conversation about Facebook? Simply because as I see it ... Facebook's agenda is aligned to help the progressive cause. For me the leap is one I struggled with for some time, but once enough dots got connected ... the patterns became more obvious.

RoscoP

@rr.com
reply to tholly911
said by thollu911 :
Just earlier tonight I saw a Facebook commercial where a late teens to early 20's girl quotes having read somewhere that old folks get more anti-social as they age and how this concerned her ... so she insisted her retired parents participate in Facebook. The young girl was not impressed her parents had 18 or 19 friends because she had somewhere around 587. The message as I interpreted it was that socializing at the extreme levels is the new normal.

That isn't a Facebook commercial, it is a car commercial.

The implication you got is wrong too.

RoscoP

@rr.com
Here is the commercial

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGmcb3mhLM

tholly911

Pasadena, TX
Awesome you found the commercial. Are you taking it at "Face" value?

RoscoP

@rr.com
It would be a really BAD Facebook commercial because it makes Facebook users look DUMB.