spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JTS33

join:2003-05-03
USA

Is battery backup needed if not getting phone service?

I used to have FiOS Triple Play with phone...now have Double Play without phone. I was told the battery backup only keeps phone service online and not Internet. When it starts complaining/beeping about replacing the battery, can I just disconnect the BBU? Or will the ONT freak out if I do?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

The BBU also serves as the power supply for the ONT.
No BBU, then NO internet or TV.

I simpy removed the battery from mine to stop the beeping.
Not sure that works on all BBU models.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to JTS33

As More Fiber said, the power supply powers up your ONT. Unplugging it will cause your ONT to totally lose power.

What they told you is correct about the battery. It's there for phone service. It will keep your internet connection up for probably about a minute if you lose power, but that's it.

As for the beeping - there's a kill switch inside the backup unit to stop the beeping once it starts. There have been a couple times we've lost power for more than 7 hours, and that beeping will drive you nuts when the battery runs down (of course, both times the battery bit the dust some time around 3 AM, which was loads of fun - especially when my invisible fence battery back up also died, giving me a chorus of annoying beeps). Open up the case, and you'll see a switch in there to shut off the beeping. IIRC, you have to hit it twice to shut it off for good - doing it once is more like a snooze.

The good news is that it should be quite a while before you'll have to deal with the beeping - we had FiOS initially installed in our old house, and that battery was still going strong after 5 years. Or you can do what More Fiber did, and just remove the battery.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
kudos:3

My battery lasted 5 years and then it died. The beep kill switch only worked for a few minutes and then the damn thing would not shut up.
I don't have a phone line either so I bit the bullet and found a replacement battery on Amazon for 19.99.
Installed it and hopefully another 5 years of silence.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

Same thing here. Battery gave up after about five years. Disconnected it and then reinstalled it. Worked fine for a couple months, then got the beeping again. Beeping resumed a few hours after hitting the kill button.

I had better luck on Amazon and found a $12.50 battery replacement. Verizon wanted about $50.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to NY Tel

said by NY Tel:

My battery lasted 5 years and then it died. The beep kill switch only worked for a few minutes and then the damn thing would not shut up.
I don't have a phone line either so I bit the bullet and found a replacement battery on Amazon for 19.99.

How many times did you hit the kill button? That's why I said one press is like hitting snooze. I forget if you have to hit it more than once, or hit and hold it to get it to shut off permanently, but if you do that it will shut off permanently.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA
reply to NY Tel

said by NY Tel:

remove screws, find round black cylinder smaller than dime, put pliers aoround it, turn it till it twists off bye bye beep I do that to all piezo's eventually, and all ups's

summer's here and San Onofre is is till dead (no pun intended ) and those piezos are going to be beeping all over southern California yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

now my mantra I hate Edison, must buy solar cells and make my own

repeat 1000 times