spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NVA

@verizon.net

[DVR] "Software update" 3 days in a row?

For the last 3 days when I turn my DVR on for the first time, I get a "software update in progress screen". It takes about a minute, then it starts working normally. I just checked the software version today for the first time -- 1.9.1.

Anyone else seeing this?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

Yeah, but it is not just the DVR. My STB does the same thing.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to NVA

I was out of town for a week, two of my DVRs had the software update screen when I came back.

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ
reply to NVA

All of my STBs did it this morning plus the 7232. Must be one heck of an update.

MagScribe

join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA
reply to NVA

It's mildly annoying...but I wonder if this is a new mechanism for quick bug fixes.

Three straight days is probably a bit much, but maybe they were doing load testing or something with it.
--
I do local news. My top site: www.unionvilletimes.com

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to NVA

I've seen it too on a 7232.

JayMan 007

join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA

Saw it yesterday afternoon on 7232.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NVA

You should only see this if their is a problem with your previous update. THEY ARE NOT ISSUING A SERIES OF UPDATES.

First make sure you don't try any interruption of the update. If you continue to see this you may need to Contact Verizon for assistance. They might need to do a reset of your box before an update will take, or worse case your box may need to be replaced.

K28736

@verizon.net
reply to NVA

Same here. Really annoying if this is going to happen every day, forever. I turned on the stb when I want to watch TV immediately.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to NVA

Ditto here.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to tnsprin

said by tnsprin:

You should only see this if their is a problem with your previous update. THEY ARE NOT ISSUING A SERIES OF UPDATES.

First make sure you don't try any interruption of the update. If you continue to see this you may need to Contact Verizon for assistance. They might need to do a reset of your box before an update will take, or worse case your box may need to be replaced.

If the box is already reporting 1.9.1 then didn't the update take properly? And if it is happening to a lot of us, then something must be going on with the system (purposefully or not).

djfjks

@verizon.net
reply to NVA

Here in vh07 had it happen Friday and yesterday. This morning it did not.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to NVA

Three times in three days starting Friday.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to NVA

Edit: oops, wrong thread.

gilrod2

join:2012-06-24
Oradell, NJ
reply to NVA

I contacted Verizon and they informed me that the problem relative to "software update in progress" is widespread. They have no idea when it will be fixed. Yes this is just an inconvenience but it is very annoying.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
reply to NVA

The IMG team is aware.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

Same here, for the last couple of days, software updating at every power on on one of my STBs, the other is OK. Tried a cold reboot, same issue.

Thanks nascar

johnf2 VHO8
--
VHO8

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to NVA

mine is doing it too

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to NVA

My DVR and STB's do it at least two times a day each

Gerryex

join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to dosdoxies

said by dosdoxies:

Three times in three days starting Friday.

Wow, I thought it was just me (in Tampa. FL area, VH02 I believe). Its been doing it every day upon first start up of the day since Friday. But I asked my sister (who lives a few towns over, so different CO but same VH02) and she has NOT had the problem. It still seems to record properly even when there's a recording going on when I first power up for the day and get the "update" screen.

Oh well, if Vz knows about it and says they are working on it there not much else we can do!

Gerry

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to NVA

well it is nice to know it was not just me ! was wondering what was going on all of my boxes (7100 P2's) except for the 7232 were doing this for a couple of days - glad to know they are now aware of it and looking for the problem as it can be annoying especially when moving from one tv to another while watching a particular show

byramr
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Gerryex

Glad to hear it isn't only mine!

Robert

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

I had the same thing on one of the 7100-2 STBs on VHO7 on Friday.
Turned it on and got the Software Update screen.

MagScribe

join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA
reply to NVA

It's becoming increasingly annoying. I had to power down one of my DVRs because it crashed with one of these "software update" sessions.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence (wink) that this stuff happens the same week there's a change in terms of service where we all (allegedly) agree not sue VZ in real court, but take all disputes to arbitration or small claims court. Of course, it holds virtually no legal binding power — ask any decent attorney about how legally binding any non-negotiated agreement is, especially one with terms only imposed by one side — but it makes you wonder.
--
I do local news. My top site: www.unionvilletimes.com

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to NVA

Yep same here. ALl of my boxes do it when turned on, since Friday. Takes a minute or so to display anything. Very annoying.
--
Go Heels!

JMikeF

join:2005-05-05
Alexandria, VA
reply to NVA

Ok, we've established the fact that something is going on that does not seem right. I've experienced the "program downloading issue" too.

Questions:
1) Why is this happening, right after a major refresh?
2) Why has it happened mulitple times?
3) If it's a bug fix, what was fixed?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by JMikeF:

Ok, we've established the fact that something is going on that does not seem right. I've experienced the "program downloading issue" too.

Questions:
1) Why is this happening, right after a major refresh?
2) Why has it happened mulitple times?
3) If it's a bug fix, what was fixed?

As noted earlier in this thread, the VZ IMG team is aware. I think it's evident it's just a bug. We are not getting actual updates.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
reply to JMikeF

Seeing as I have had the IMG update for awhile now and this did not start until last week the real question becomes why is this just starting now, this does not seem like an IMG issue, this seems like something else outside of the IMG was changed and they have yet to bother to undo that change.

EDIT: To add to the above, if this is an IMG bug its time they roll back the IMG to a working version. This crap is unacceptable, when I turn on my TV I want to see the TV not the Please Wait crap that takes over a minute to finish whatever crap its doing in the background.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to NVA

I'm in VHO7 and have 3 7100-p2's and I've yet to see this "software update" message on them. Does this occur when you power cycle the stb?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

VHO7 should already be on 1.9.1.

Not sure what triggers the message but got a big screen message after hitting menu and a message in their message box.