spc
uniqs

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to SanAntonioTx

Anon

to SanAntonioTx

Re: Why Timewarner Why ? WHY!?

Well since you are willing to pay why not get a Business connection?

I'm sure TWC will gladly give you a 1Gbps connection to your house if you are willing to pay for it too.

»www.twcbc.com/Texas/Prod ··· ess.ashx

The problem with residential services is nobody else wants to pay those those prices so they wont roll it out system wide just for 1 person.

I can get a 10Gbps connection at my house too if i'm willing to pay the probably $100,000/month fee plus costs to run it here.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 edit

cramer

Premium Member

I'm sure TWC will gladly give you a 1Gbps connection to your house if you are willing to pay for it too.

HAH. No, no they won't. TWC "BC" is EXACTLY the same as TWC "Residential" -- same network, same cable, same technology. The metro-ethernet connections are provided by Time Warner Telecom (aka TWTC.) While they share "TW" in their names, they are independent companies.

Yes, I've had numerous conversations with the Time Warners.

[Edit: Back to the OP... there are technological reasons for the 5Mbps limit, namely the maximum number of bits they can shove in an upstream channel -- which is approx. 10M. Until they roll out DOCSIS 3 encoding and channel bonding, higher speeds will not be offered. Can they? Sure, but it has catastrophic effects on everyones download speeds.]

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by cramer:

HAH. No, no they won't. TWC "BC" is EXACTLY the same as TWC "Residential" -- same network, same cable, same technology. The metro-ethernet connections are provided by Time Warner Telecom (aka TWTC.) While they share "TW" in their names, they are independent companies.

Maybe in NC, but certainly not in CA and I'm sure alot of other places. Some of the same network, not the same cable, not the same technology, and absolutely not TWTC.

This is probably true in any area that isn't "legacy" TWC. So if the area was previously Adelphia or Comcast, TWTC has little, if any infrastructure, co-mingled with the existing cable infrastructure.

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

TWC "BC" is EXACTLY the same as TWC "Residential" -- same network, same cable, same technology.

It is FAR from "exactly" the same.

warlock56
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Dallas, TX

warlock56 to SHoTTa35

Premium Member

to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

The problem with residential services is nobody else wants to pay those those prices so they wont roll it out system wide just for 1 person.

I can get a 10Gbps connection at my house too if i'm willing to pay the probably $100,000/month fee plus costs to run it here.

Gonna have to go with +1 on this. Not even 500 feet from my house is a Verizon cell tower. This tower's network connection is provided by none other than TWC, business class. I can see the single mode fiber hanging on the pole. The color indicates a 10Gig fiber line, but whether or not they're actually piping 10Gig is another story.

The point is if you're willing to pony up the money like you claim to get better speeds, there are ALWAYS options. My feeling is you're only willing to pony up the money for similar residential package prices.

Yes, you do complain a lot.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to SHoTTa35

MVM

to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

+1 as well. It's pretty expensive but if you pay they will hook you up. At work we have 160+Gbps of connectivity coming in from Time Warner as one of the bandwidth providers. The fiber lines were by no means cheap as the location my office is located at was serviced by nothing more than DSL if that could even be obtained. Time Warner had to run Fiber out to the place which had a pretty big price tag associated with it, in addition to Verizon (with some kicking and screaming) and a bunch of other providers as no Fiber was around for at least a mile. Not to mention, getting that many strands out there too also cost a bit as the local infrastructure required beefing up. If you pay, it will come right away. The cost for bandwidth is through the roof, but $/megabit is pretty darn cheap once everything else is paid for. Couple cents per megabit I believe is what it's running.

Also, many of the towers out here if they're not on Verizon or Frontier T1 lines, or are fortunate enough to be around a Telco Fiber line are fed off of Time Warner Fiber circuits. Time Warner seems to have more fiber coverage in this area over the Telco anyways for business circuits. Fiber's on practically every street going to cable nodes as it is, but I'm sure they have different uses.