share rss forum feed

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to kittyzmom2

Re: Need wifi N now that I have 75/35...best way to get it?

Even with N I wouldn't ever expect to max the connection.. You can practically ignore the max advertised speed of wireless N as you wont see that kind of sustained speed in real world, you will be very fortunate to even get half of the "Connected" speed.

40Mhz mode on 5Ghz would be the most likely way to get close to that sustained speed over wireless. However the only guarantee would be to upgrade router (or add AP) and adapters to the new 802.11ac draft, but you might sacrafice reliability because it's still in draft status.
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Vamp:

Even with N I wouldn't ever expect to max the connection.. You can practically ignore the max advertised speed of wireless N as you wont see that kind of sustained speed in real world, you will be very fortunate to even get half of the "Connected" speed.

40Mhz mode on 5Ghz would be the most likely way to get close to that sustained speed over wireless. However the only guarantee would be to upgrade router (or add AP) and adapters to the new 802.11ac draft, but you might sacrafice reliability because it's still in draft status.

If setup properly and a decent AP you should certainly be able to max out a 75Mb/s connection. I easily get faster throughput rates from my wireless N(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) APs I have setup in my condo when transferrring between a laptop and my network storage.(unRAIDs and WHS)

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to Vamp

said by Vamp:

Well I don't know about that, I have a D-Link Wireless N gaming router that when it came out didn't even fully support wireless N, now it may be my neighborhood, but I have it on 5GHZ with 40MHZ and get about 280Mbps throughput on it to my HTPC sitting in the living room, the only reason I know this is because I ripped Season 1 of the Big Bang Theory to my hard drive and pushed all 10GB's of it over at once in less than 5 minutes.... Buuuuuuuuut then again you kind of already covered this, and so I'm just talking for nothing, but have faith in the 5GHZ spectrum unless everything surrounding you uses it!

Matt
--
I am no longer an AT&T Employee. Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573
Have U-verse questions? Please email uversecare@att.com and they will assist you!!