Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit
reply to Zappa2000

Re: [HSI] Charter will No longer support Customer Owned modems?!

said by Zappa2000:

I don't get the logic of this decision.
If people have DOCSIS 3 modems, then why not let them keep using it ? If they have issues, fine, then they need the "free" modem.

You can keep using your current modem.

On the FCC website, it states

quote:
Cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system.
Which means, if they have a DOCSIS 3 modem which has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, the same as the newer surfboard, then this seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

I believe applies to cable TV not internet. And who is going to sue over a modem?

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

said by 88615298:

said by Zappa2000:

I don't get the logic of this decision.
If people have DOCSIS 3 modems, then why not let them keep using it ? If they have issues, fine, then they need the "free" modem.

You can keep using your current modem.

Yes, as long as you don't get a new plan...

On the FCC website, it states

quote:
Cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system.
Which means, if they have a DOCSIS 3 modem which has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, the same as the newer surfboard, then this seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

I believe applies to cable TV not internet. And who is going to sue over a modem?

Who knows, Cisco / Zoom / anyone who is making modems... and of course there are the class action lawyers, if they smell $$$ you can bet they will go for it.
I doubt a individual would do anything more than complain to the FCC, but you never know.

I did a quick check of the prices, and they haven't updated them yet.