spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

csiguy

join:2008-09-19

4 edits

[BC] slow internet speed *fixed* (title renamed)

*edit* The problem has been fixed by Telus on their end. The tech support person was very nice to deal with.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

Re: [BC] *frustrated* slow internet speed chat no help

Seems you did everything except the obvious first thing you should have done which is reboot the modem.

csiguy

3 edits
Yes I rebooted the modem and the router (multiple times).

csiguy

1 edit
reply to csiguy
Just for the heck of it, I just got back from the Telus store with a new Thomson speedtouch (no cost), I didn't think it would make any difference but, I swapped the new one in and it doesn't fix the problem.

Now that's everything from the Telus block to the PC has been checked or disconnected or changed.

So tell me how is Telus supposed to know the "disruptor" that is making noise on the line is a device in my house and isn't something on their drop or service?

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to csiguy
I've never heard of a "disrupter" before - perhaps it is Teluspeak for something else.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when telus was switching us to a new line, first it came up at 1.5 Mbit. I suspect that's the default. If you're seeing about 1.4 Mbit on speedtest, your line may be misconfigured at the Telus end. Rattle their chain; might have to match wits with the helpline until you reach someone technical.

csiguy

2 edits
I've never heard of it either, and I'm an electrical engineer since 1979.
I asked the chat person and they said it means they are seeing a noisy device on my end.
I thought disrupters are what spacemen like Captain Kirk used...

So when I ended the chat session, I basically stripped everything off except one line direct to the modem direct to the PC, and no change. So I doubt there is anything noisy here.

I did another chat, I'm waiting for a Telus call-back.

csiguy

1 edit
reply to csiguy
I just got the call-back from Telus.
It would seem that there is a problem at the Telus end.

csiguy

1 edit
reply to csiguy
My mistake, I just re-read the chat log, the Telus rep called it a "disturber".
He said I had a disturber present on my end that was affecting the Internet.