share rss forum feed

pchelp

join:2010-03-21
Manson, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

Re: Cisco Connect Cloud

said by Mike Wolf:

I really don't see what the big deal is.

The "big deal" is, they requite to identify the router's owner in detail, including a valid email address; and one must even enter the router's password!

It is a gigantic unsolicited intrusion. It's one of the most onerous acts of a hardware maker that I have ever seen or experienced. Utterly, utterly unacceptable.

The network on which I encountered this unwanted update was a highly sensitive business office network. We would never even consider, not even briefly, participating in Cisco's intrusion. The router has been replaced and never, not ever, under any circumstances will I recommend or use another Cisco product except those older models that are at no risk of being subjected to this kind of takeover.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

2 edits

2 recommendations

(sighs) well if you don't like it your welcome to use another brand. I created this thread to help the EA router owners with the transition not discuss and justify the morality and legality of the new features.
Anyway, thank you for proving my point about people not liking change. You cannot seriously be expecting this company to not want to be up to date on technology. Between new AC equipped routers and cloud based routers it would be a mistake for them to not explore it.

As to this highly sensitive network that you said you came across this "intrusion" with, why would anyone in their right mind have the auto update function turned on in that type of enviornment? That's classic network administration and management 101 to keep that turned off and monitor for updates on an as-needed basis.

sabretooth

join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

You give Cisco full permission to data mine your history and will track everything.

Read the terms of service you agreed to.

»www.cisco.com/web/siteassets/leg···upp.html

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

I see no problem with that though. I mean you got nothing to hide right? ....right?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to pchelp

said by pchelp:

The network on which I encountered this unwanted update was a highly sensitive business office network. We would never even consider, not even briefly, participating in Cisco's intrusion. The router has been replaced and never, not ever, under any circumstances will I recommend or use another Cisco product except those older models that are at no risk of being subjected to this kind of takeover.

Your response is puzzling. First, as Mike Wolf noted, if you are responsible for a business network why would you ever have left an auto-update firmware feature on? That sounds more like your failure to pay due diligence than Cisco's issue...I would never subject my office's network to any firmware upgrade prior to testing it out, and never would set up any device in my office network to "auto-update" any kind of operating software, drivers or other settings.

Second, the EA Linksys router series are consumer routers, designed for ease of use, simple set up and maintenance, and they perform well as such. If one wants a router to perform as an enterprise-level router, then that is what one should purchase.

To me, the jury is still out...my EA 4500 is upgraded to the new cloud settings, and I see some advantages, and a couple of potential disadvantages. However, I always have the option of rolling back the firmware should I decide the cons outweigh the pros.
--
Deeds, not words