how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA
reply to ctaranto

Re: Three router setup, remote DVR not working...

A few specific questions that need clarification:

1. "The LAN network should be different from the LAN network that the Actiontec is using if you want to permit remote management of the Actiontec".

Should the *should* above be a *must*? I didn't look at the LAN of the Actiontec since it's not used and I didn't care about remote managing it. It provided the DVRs 192.168.1.100-107. The DHCP (Static DHCP) on the primary starts at 110 to avoid conflicts. Connecting a laptop to the Actiontec for local management provided an address like 192.168.1.215 for some reason.

2. Does the MAC of the primary need to match the MAC of the Actiontec? If I don't care about cloning the Actiontec MAC and can get a new IP address on the primary, is the MAC itself an important part of this picture? I cloned the primary MAC onto the Actiontec so they matched. Maybe that's where I went wrong?

3. "On your primary router, forward the following traffic to the LAN address of your secondary router"

I asked this in my first post, but as others noted, that post was too long (and so is this one). Port forwarding goes to the WAN of the next device, doesn't it? The LAN of the secondary router is something like 98.x.y.1. The WAN of the secondary router is 192.168.1.3 (or something similar). Shouldn't the forward go to 192.168.1.3, and then the forward on the secondary go to the WAN address of the Actiontec (98.x.y.z)?

Thanks..

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by ctaranto:

1. "The LAN network should be different from the LAN network that the Actiontec is using if you want to permit remote management of the Actiontec".

Should the *should* above be a *must*?

Fixed.
said by ctaranto:

2. Does the MAC of the primary need to match the MAC of the Actiontec?

No.
said by ctaranto:

3. "On your primary router, forward the following traffic to the LAN address of your secondary router"

Port forwarding goes to the WAN of the next device, doesn't it?

Yes. The confusion here is that it's referring to the primary's LAN address of the secondary router (which is the same as the seconday's WAN address).

I changed #9 to read as "the WAN address of the secondary router".
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.