uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to claudiubotez

Re: Webroot SecureAnywhere scanning PC - suspiciously fast....

LOL I can't stop laughing after reading Kit's ridiculous comment. THIS CRAP IS SNAKE OIL.

Kit just said that the on demand scanner is irrelevant. Ok. I tend to agree so why have it at all? What is revolutionary about SecureAnywhere's scanning? They are not the first AV to declare the on demand scanner irrelevant or to "adjust" how it scans so it is very fast. Gee, Kaspersky did this back in 2006 and just about got run out town and tarred and feathered for it (but mostly because they lied about it and continued to lie when confronted with the truth and damage was caused to some people's hardware)...at least Kit is being honest.

Why doesn't Webroot just get rid of the on demand scanner? I found the same behavior in their AV program that is rated at the very bottom of all AV tested at AV-Comparatives in the last quarterly results. Webroot's programs rely almost entirely on the real time scanner. That is fine but why keep the on demand around then? I haven't used Avira's on demand scanner for a full scan since right after I got Avira over 5 years ago. I depend on Avira's Guard (the real time scanner) to protect me for the reasons that Kit talks about. A malicious file is not dangerous until you go to execute it and the real time scanner will catch it then. So, an on demand scanner is not needed and never has been needed for much of anything. I can think of one thing it possibly useful for...to check files downloaded from questionable sites and you want the on demand scanner to catch anything malicious early on if you are unzipping a file as the on demand scanner (if really good) will catch it immediately, whereas, the real time scanner will sit there until it has been fully unzipped and will not peep until you actually go to execute it. That scares people and they want the detection earlier. That is why AV companies came up with the idea of webguard scanners which is plain silly and really slows the surfer down. I assume Kit is going to have Webguard removed from their AV also because he just said nothing is needed except the real time scanner.

If you insist on having an AV then just get one where you can uninstall all modules you don't need and keep only the real time scanner. With all the FP's that Webroot AV has it will save you a lot headaches if you only used the real time scanner since Kit says it won't do anything unless the file is about to be executed. Avira real time scanner is far more sensitive than Webroot's...you open Explorer and it sounds off if there is a keylogger anywhere on the drive (Avira alerts on all keyloggers)....you don't have to go to the folder it is in, open the folder, and then try to execute it to get Avira Guard to go crazy. It would be nice if a Real Time scanner doesn't alert until the actual moment of execution as long as your nerves can take it. So, just get rid of the other stuff in Webroot's AV and keep only the real time scanner as that is what Kit is saying.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
AV's are irrelevant... a good clean hips is what most need when they click on every site link known to man..and visit free crap sites.

People have been putting up with AV marketing jive for years now..still remember when they all had a fart caught crosswise when Trojans hit the scene.." Hey that's a trojan..we are an AV company..we only do Virus" ..that mentality would make any sane person puke. Then malware hit the scene and they all went ballistic and the user had to put up with a trojan killer proggie, a AV, a malware killer, a dialer stopper, a firewall ( even firewalls with special rules )and any other fancy gizmo they could find..all competing for RAM that was maybe max at 1gig at the time..and then you had to turn all the stuff off if you were an on-line gammer..
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/
Expand your moderator at work

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Name Game

Re: Webroot SecureAnywhere scanning PC - suspiciously fast....

said by Name Game:

AV's are irrelevant... a good clean hips is what most need when they click on every site link known to man..and visit free crap sites.

I know there is software more recent and with better or worst features, but you could not go past DiamondCS's Process Guard.

It certainly helped keep you locked down.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
Yes..that was a classic and I miss that guy too.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

Talking about good ole software and catching the bad guys as they shed their sheep's clothing and enter into RAM...how bout good ole BoClean...loved it and Kevin and Nancy

Now they have the Kevin and Nancy Operating System:
»knosproject.com/

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

People have been putting up with AV marketing jive for years now..still remember when they all had a fart caught crosswise when Trojans hit the scene.." Hey that's a trojan..we are an AV company..we only do Virus" ..that mentality would make any sane person puke. Then malware hit the scene and they all went ballistic and the user had to put up with a trojan killer proggie, a AV, a malware killer, a dialer stopper, a firewall ( even firewalls with special rules )and any other fancy gizmo they could find..all competing for RAM that was maybe max at 1gig at the time..and then you had to turn all the stuff off if you were an on-line gammer..

Well, of course, a classic HIPS is the best anti malware of all and it doesn't gobble RAM or CPU either. I'm dreading leaving XP soon for a new computer because Process Guard is the best piece of protection I have ever used and I wlll be lost without it. Yet, there is little to choose from for Vista/Win 7 as far as classic HIPS. If Webroot really wanted to have a fine security solution they would stop the junk they now have and give us an "updated" ProcessGuard...in other words, a classic HIPS that is not terribly difficult to use like most PG imitators have been.

Yeah...I had NOD32 back 2003-2005 and I well remember Eset insisting that it was an antivirus company not antitrojan. Eset was one of the last vendors to get on the anti-trojan bandwagon and only after much drama and protest. I recall too how your forum came about and, of course, Kevin and Nancy and the great BoClean.

You still have to turn off some AV for online gaming. Avira has some sort of pause button or something like that on their current version (which I don't use and did not beta test as I did earlier versions).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson