uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Some Trains Not Blowing Whistle Aproaching A Crossing

This has been going on for years. It happens across the street from where I work, so I see it almost daily.

Trains go through here on a regular basis. Some blow their horn/whistle, prior to crossing the road it crosses here, and some don't. I might add, they do come through this point at a heavy clip.

There are no arms or what ever they are called that come down to block cars from crossing when a train is approaching. And there is no lights...just railroad crossing signs.

I have called CSX on this several times over the years, taken videos, and shown them to the local police dept., and they have called CSX. But this continues to happen several times a week.
I have personally told CSX on the phone the number of the trains, and the time and location this takes place...but it continues even though I have been told it will be taken care of.

I really would like to know wtf is going on here.
Maybe I should get the local news crew out here?

I'm asking for suggestions here...what would you do?
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

4 recommendations

said by Robotics:

I'd remember to look both ways before using that crossing.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Robotics
quote:
Maybe I should get the local news crew out here?

Not the news crew, as they'd be easy to spot. But maybe their "investigator". First record the train[s] a few times, then send in the video to the local TV news team. Request help with this issue.

If the engineer sees a news crew, he may blow the horn, like he is supposed to. Hence why you'd want it "under cover" at first.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to kontos
said by kontos:

said by Robotics:

I don't use the road, and it's in the woods...your not going to see very far in either direction, due to trees everywhere...unless you are already on the track.
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Not the news crew, as they'd be easy to spot. But maybe their "investigator". First record the train[s] a few times, then send in the video to the local TV news team. Request help with this issue.

If the engineer sees a news crew, he may blow the horn, like he is supposed to. Hence why you'd want it "under cover" at first.

I like this approach. And I already have a few videos.
--

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
reply to Robotics
Are there any lit crossings with or without crossing arms nearby? If so to they sound the horn for those?

You may want to call CSX and ask to have their maint. crew to check if the Whistle markers are still there (white square with W on it). If an engineer isn't familiar with the area, not having one of those markers, they may not know there is a crossing coming up. Granted, in my opinion, the engineer should report a missing marker once they blow through the intersection even if not required.

On the other hand, If your area has a ban on horns during certain parts of the day, that can very well be the reason why. I would also check with someone that knows the state/county/city ordinances.

I'm Not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :P And I've been around trains since I was a kid... However your mileage may vary.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Robotics

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to netboy34
said by netboy34:

Are there any lit crossings with or without crossing arms nearby? If so to they sound the horn for those?

You may want to call CSX and ask to have their maint. crew to check if the Whistle markers are still there (white square with W on it). If an engineer isn't familiar with the area...

This isn't a certainty, but one of my wife's uncles is a train engineer and it seemed to me that he "drove" the same route pretty routinely, so he is familiar with the track (curves, crossings, etc). I suspect most trains operate similarly.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Robotics
Sadly, I know one thing that would force CSX to make a change. I think most people can guess what that is too...

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL
said by Hall:

Sadly, I know one thing that would force CSX to make a change. I think most people can guess what that is too...

Just have your camera ready when the bus full of nuns and orphans gets creamed. Then you will get the arms and a reduced speed.
--
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to netboy34
said by netboy34:

**Yes, but they are several miles down the road/track. Not sure its I would call it nearby, but in the same town.

You may want to call CSX and ask to have their maint. crew to check if the Whistle markers are still there (white square with W on it). If an engineer isn't familiar with the area, not having one of those markers, they may not know there is a crossing coming up. Granted, in my opinion, the engineer should report a missing marker once they blow through the intersection even if not required.

On the other hand, If your area has a ban on horns during certain parts of the day, that can very well be the reason why. I would also check with someone that knows the state/county/city ordinances.

**Don't think there is any ban here. I hear whistels blowing all hours of the day/night. Even from my house 11 miles away.

I'm Not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :P And I've been around trains since I was a kid... However your mileage may vary.

--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

This isn't a certainty, but one of my wife's uncles is a train engineer and it seemed to me that he "drove" the same route pretty routinely, so he is familiar with the track (curves, crossings, etc). I suspect most trains operate similarly.

Of all the years I have seen this happen, It "most the time" occurs around the same time frame of the day. So I do and have suspected it is only one conductor doing this. It has also been the train that rolls through much faster then others.

I see their crews out here fairly often trimming trees, etc. in and around the crossing I'm talking about. So without actually walking the track, I would think the sign you are talking about would be there. Maybe if I do get the nerve I will check this out. It is on private property, so I have yet done this.

Thanks for your response.
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Already happened (once that I know of). And it of all things was a school bus. But was not at the crossing I am speaking about here.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Robotics
Sounds like what is known as a private crossing. These are very different than a public crossing.

Calling the police is ridiculous. The local police have zero authority over the railroads.

If you think they should be blowing horns in The area, call the FRA field office.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Robotics
Some places around time have "quite zones" when they can't blow their horns at certain times of the day or not at all because the neighborhoods were complaining about how loud they were.

Look both ways before crossing.

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
reply to Robotics
i was a locomotive engineer and can tell you that certain xings in chicago (especially through affluent neighborhoods) were no-blow. People would call in and complain if they even heard the train bell.

If it happens in the same time frames every day I would suspect there is a rule for it as not using the horn at a grade crossing would be a level 5 infraction and result in termination of the conductor and engineer.... and also result in fines levied against the above said.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Natural selection?

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit
reply to StLCardsFan
They're called "quiet zones" and those crossings are protected with lane dividers, gates, lights, and bells.

I can guarantee that this is not in a designated "quiet zone" as according to the OP, there is no such safety or warning devices.

Unlike most in this thread, I AM a certified locomotive engineer.

I am 99% certain from the previous description that this is what's known as a "private" crossing and horn / bell isn't required. These crossing are usually only protected by a set of cross bucks and a stop sign.
--

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
reply to Robotics
I grew up on a farm 20 miles from town. Every time we went to town we would cross 2 sets of tracks. Every time my mom would ask all us kids, "Any choochoos?" And us kids would look and almost always respond, "No choochoos!" Unless, of course, there were actually choochoos coming.

I have continued this with my children. It makes them aware of the danger at an early age. I even say it in my head every time I approach a crossing when by myself. It's a good habit to get into.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Robotics
I'll trade you! We live quite near a crossing with gates and lights that is supposed to be the first crossing of a quiet zone yet about 50% of the trains (we have many of them) still blow their horns. Maybe you could use their horns! CSX doesn't seem to care and it keeps telling us the engineers it's can still blow their horns if they see a need even in a quiet zone.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Robotics
Post it up on YouTube for a start.

I'm being perfectly serious.

Show trains running a crossing with no safety equipment and not using the Whistles.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Clarksville, TN
reply to Robotics
look at this from a different POV, maybe you should consider yourself lucky that sometimes it's so much quieter when they come through. Then the question becomes 'if some don't blow their horns, why can't all of them not blow their horns?'. Years back I used to live quite close to a railroad crossing - I would have been thrilled beyond belief if they didn't sound their horns.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to burner50
said by burner50:

I am 99% certain from the previous description that this is what's known as a "private" crossing and horn / bell isn't required. These crossing are usually only protected by a set of cross bucks and a stop sign.

I believe you are correct. There is stop signs and the cross bucks. (now I know what they are called)

I guess the majority of trains that go by blow their horn being courteous.
I really don't think it is a quite zone only because this is an industrial/commercial area, with only a few houses way back in the woods.

Suppose I will leave well enough alone on this. I didn't feel comfortable going down the track to see if there was a sign with a big "W" on it.

Thanks for making this clear burner50
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

Post it up on YouTube for a start.

I'm being perfectly serious.

Show trains running a crossing with no safety equipment and not using the Whistles.

I was tempted to do that, but I am glad I didn't.

Burner50 explained the situation. And as strange as it is, it is not required.
--

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

I'll trade you! We live quite near a crossing with gates and lights that is supposed to be the first crossing of a quiet zone yet about 50% of the trains (we have many of them) still blow their horns. Maybe you could use their horns! CSX doesn't seem to care and it keeps telling us the engineers it's can still blow their horns if they see a need even in a quiet zone.

Sometiemes they HAVE to in quiet zones(IDIOT drivers trying to beat trains, go around crossing gates, animals on the tracks, etc.), if it bothers you that much, move. More trains on the tracks means less trucks on the road, and cleaner air, less pollution, etc. As far as why they aren't sounding it, but at other times are, I am not familiar with that particular crossing or the rules involved, and I would suspect most on here aren't either.
--
»www.amtrak.com
»www.freightrailworks.org
»www.isu.edu
»www.nwprr.net
»www.amtrakcalifornia.com
»www.cahighspeedrail.gov

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to kontos
said by kontos:

said by Robotics:

Oh you're asking for (un)common sense in this day and age?
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

When I'm traversing a quiet zone, annoying you is the least of my concerns.

It is my whistle, and it is the only thing I have to warn people of my approach. On the list of things, not blowing through a quiet zone is last on my list of priorities.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to Robotics
Its also possible they have gotten noise complaints for doing it at say 2am when the lights coming should be obvious... and doing it all day, when in daylight lights not so obious and is needed.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

I am not familiar with that particular crossing or the rules involved, and I would suspect most on here aren't either.

No but I am familiar with the Federal Laws that govern crossings. Those tend to be the same no matter what carrier.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to burner50
said by burner50:

When I'm traversing a quiet zone, annoying you is the least of my concerns.

It is my whistle, and it is the only thing I have to warn people of my approach. On the list of things, not blowing through a quiet zone is last on my list of priorities.

Really no other indication? You travel unlit???
And even if yu do and make a racket... its not going to stop an idiot from trying to beat you.

FACT is 9x% of crossing accidents are the car/trucks fault not the train... no matter how much noise they make and gates or not.
And speaking of gates to save cost are only in the directional lanes usually not BOTH ways so of course jerks will go arond them.

Then again I have often seen ones where the train speed limit is like 15mph and they go down ridiculously early like seeming 5 min before the train gets there, again just begging to be run by the impatient.
--