share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

3 recommendations

The Greedy Hacker

The hacker claimed he did it because he hated greedy corporations. If that was true he would have given aways his tips and tools for free. It seems he was as greedy as those he accused. And he should lookout for the IRS - he better have reported his income or they will make his life a hell for long after he gets done with his jail sentence.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

i have all his documentation and software.
the SB4200 is one modem that is easy "broken" into.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Yeah, I'd gotten those materials as well. Mostly out of curiousity to see how he was accomplishing the hacks.

No way was I going to do it. It wasn't worth the possible theft of service charges.
--
So it is a tax! Now what do you say, you lying sack of crap? Or would you prefer I just hand over my entire check, jackass?

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

i did this with an old SB4200 just to try, it did work but i disconnected it after 60 seconds.

iwinrar

join:2010-03-18

1 recommendation

I hope you get a year in jail for every second you were connected.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

Are you being serious??

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to iwinrar

said by iwinrar:

i compress you like winrar
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

Are you being serious??

a 60 second test for proof of concept is the same as someone doing 90 MPH on a 55 MPH for 60 seconds.
i dont know what "winrar's" comment was supposed to be sarcastic or what, but it surely was not necessary.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

People are just weird.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by Badonkadonk:

People are just weird.

i most certainly would have not used the device beyond the time i needed to confirm the software and documentation actually worked on the device after i had applied it.
cable companies can use a technology known as "radio ping echoing" to get an approximate distance between the head end and the device.
approximate distance is calculated by the travel time of the radio signals (modem is a duplex device)
"radio mirroring" can be used to see exactly how many splitters and terminators exist"
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

giving it away for free might have gotten him even as little as probation. charging for the tool made it clear he was offering theft of service tools as a business.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

2 recommendations

reply to iwinrar

said by iwinrar:

?

I guess people have just been conditioned to live in a police state. What a crazy statement.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to IllIlIlllIll

At least on Comcast, this wouldn't work anymore, as they are managing everything on the network side to do PowerBoost. Heck, they probably provision their modem uncapped anyways to get PowerBoost, and then throttle you back to your speed at the CMTS or higher up.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

1 recommendation

reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

a 60 second test for proof of concept is the same as someone doing 90 MPH on a 55 MPH for 60 seconds.

Because testing for proof of concept gives the same adrenaline rush as cruising down a road at 90mph.

iwinrar

join:2010-03-18
reply to IllIlIlllIll

indeed

I love how people take sarcastic comments

The internet is the most serious place in the world more so then even funerals.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

You may or may not have been joking (hard to tell in text), but there are plenty on this website that genuinely would/do feel that way.
--
So it is a tax! Now what do you say, you lying sack of crap? Or would you prefer I just hand over my entire check, jackass?

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

2 recommendations

reply to FFH

He might be able to find work in jail....
--

Romney equals Epic Fail!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Either way he committed no crime.
This verdict contradicts with free speech.

The vague wire fraud statute was incorrectly applied to convict Harris as the courts have been bought by cable companies.
If only one computer/internet literate person was on the jury he never would have been convicted of anything.
»webcache.googleusercontent.com/s···nk&gl=us

1. Ryan Harris sold information and hardware, he did not force any of his customers to steal anything.
If this ruling is upheld then anyone that wrote a book on how to do something illegal is now responsible for what a reader does or any company that sold any piece of equipment that could be used for illegal activity (thats just really messed up and against free speech)
This HAS to be thrown out on appeal or will eventually be thrown out by the supreme court.

2. None of the "hacks" documented by Harris can be implemented without the cable company knowing about it.
The cable company can easily block cloned mac addresses and anything else the user has done on the users own modem.

3. The user owns the modem and can modify it if they want to. Again the cable company would be fully aware of a customer uncapping their modem and cloning a mac so they could block it at any time.
The cable company is always in control of the connection unless a "real" hacker comes along and gains access to their system and modifies the settings on the cable company's hardware.

4. If you want to ignore the cable companies responsibility to control its own network, then the courts can only go after Harris's customers who actually committed the acts.

The judge who ruled on this case should be fired for being so easily bought/bribed by cable companies.
I hope he enjoys his lifetime free tv and internet.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Actually, I think the court got it right. How do you get a freedom of speech argument out of this?

Historically the mail and wire fraud stautes have been given broad latitude in terms of scope. It's kind of like how the commerce clause is used (albeit the CC is given much broader latitude) for regulating things that don't seem commerce related on their face.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit

Because Harris exercised free speech in providing information only to his customers through books, online tutorials, and forum posts.

He did not commit any of the acts (or even charged with that).
I also dont think they even prosecuted those that actually committed the acts, they went for the 1 guy who was not doing anything.

If this ruling is not overturned then every gun manufacture is screwed, any manufacture that makes something that could be used for illegal activity, and anyone that writes a book or forum post that could help someone do something illegal is screwed.
This ruling violates the guys right to free speech.

They literally based justification of the wire fraud law on twisting interpretation of previous rulings as the law just does not apply.
The previous rulings are not in the same context as what Harris did, especially if you know what a computer is.
Unfortunately this is one of those cases where you have a computer illiterate jury convicted a person of something that was not true.

In the US you dont actually have to commit a crime, you only need to a prosecutor to convince a jury you did.
The prosecutor knows when he has real evidence and knows when he is bullshitting. The sad part is a lot of dick hole prosecutors have no conscience as they could care less of getting someone convicted with bullshit evidence like in this case.

If it is not overturned on appeal, then the supreme court will overturn the application of wire fraud to a situation of someone just selling things in accordance with free speech.
I dont think the prosecutors or courts will want this to go to the supreme court as they know they will lose which will instantly stop them for misinterpreting the wire fraud laws in the future.
So they will reduce the sentence at the appeal to "no jail time" to get Harris to not appeal again to the supreme court.

--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

So that's how it works, huh?

I don't want to debate this to be honest. But you do realize that freedom of speech is not absolute and is subject to time, place and manner restrictions. And that there are many things that can be used for illegal purposes but can also be used for legal purposes. In those cases the harms and benefits are weighed.

This is not a Supreme court type case. They don't just take any silly old case. This will never be granted cert.
--
So it is a tax! Now what do you say, you lying sack of crap? Or would you prefer I just hand over my entire paycheck, jackass?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

A vague law that infringes on free speech, IS the kind of cases they hear. This argument says "supreme court" all over it.

The supreme court won't rule directly on the case, but they will rule on the argument of the case that the application of wire fraud to a situation of someone just selling things in accordance with free speech, but that person is not committing the illegal acts.

The courts and prosecutor will do everything to avoid going to the supreme court to ruin future use of a vague law, so on appeal I see him getting no jail time to shut him up.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

As you wish. Debating this stuff with non-lawyers doesn't lead to anything good. I'm out.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to iwinrar

..wow.. Really?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

giving it away for free might have gotten him even as little as probation. charging for the tool made it clear he was offering theft of service tools as a business.

So if I sell locksmith tools, or firearms I am offering criminal tools as a business?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by Badonkadonk:

Are you being serious??

i dont know what "winrar's" comment was supposed to be sarcastic or what, but it surely was not necessary.

Not even close to being the same thing.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

Either way he committed no crime.
This verdict contradicts with free speech.

See my post about the sale of "criminal tools". Now consider the mitigating factors involved in the sale of locksmith tools (lockpicks) to locksmiths and of firearms to hunters and policemen (among others).

Consider also:

• My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.
• When would it be appropriate to yell, "Fire!" in a crowded theater?

What are the mitigating factors, if any, in selling for profit information which facilitates criminal activity?
--
Norman

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

That is why we should not get into the game of saying what devices/texts that can be used for criminal activity are legal and what are not.
They all should be legal per the constitution, but if someone uses it for crime only the user should be prosecuted, not the manufacture or author.

The manufacture or author is not an accomplice or many industries can be shut down. The ruling is a dangerous ruling that opens up liability to authors and manufacturers.
--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

said by r81984:

That is why we should not get into the game of saying what devices that can be used for criminal activity are legal and what are not.
They all should be legal per the constitution, but if someone uses it for crime only the user should be prosecuted, not the manufacture or author.

The manufacture is not an accomplice or many industries can be shut down. The ruling is a dangerous ruling that opens up liability to authors and manufacturers.

Ridiculous argument. Under your theory, manufacturers should be able to sell rocket launchers, hand grenades, poison gas, flamethrowers to anyone who walks in off the street. Hey, it isn't their fault - it is the nut, criminal, or terrorist who is at fault. There is a reason that certain devices are not for sale to anyone and it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 1ST AMENDMENT.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA

In any case, rocket launchers, hand grenades, poison gas, flamethrowers aren't covered by the First Amendment.
--
Norman