All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

I been searching trying to find out what country sharp air conditioners are made.
Does anyone know?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
I doubt they ALWAYS made ALL their units in the same country.

PS: Sharp is a Japanese corporation.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to nonamesleft
I found this one and as I fully expected country of origin: CHINA

Sharp 8,000 BTU Energy Star Window Air Conditioner with Remote Control

Specs

Model #: AFS80RX

Measurements: Approx. 22"L x 13-3/8"H x 36"W

Color: White

Weight: Approx. 47 lb.

Power: 115 volts AC, 60Hz

7.0 amps (cool)
740 watts (cool)
Energy Star rated

Country of Origin: China

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
reply to nonamesleft
I think anything available for purchase in America will be made in China. May find a few made in Mexico if you're really lucky.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to nonamesleft
Peoples Republic of China.
Being Japanese means nothing. My company installs the Fujitsu brand mini-split systems. They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is and are just happy it's not made in China.

nonamesleft

Manitowoc, WI
reply to nonamesleft
I thought sharp would of at least made them in thailand or something. But I guess thats asking too much now a days. They better drop those high prices on that china junk then!

Does any one make a unit that is not made in china?

hdtvtechno22

join:2008-08-22
Chicago, IL
reply to nonamesleft
Nothing is made in USA anymore..sadly

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
said by hdtvtechno22:

my Toyota Camry was made (well, assembled) in the USA.

back to the OPs question... I checked their website and they don't say where the units are made (longshot, I know), but the one manual I checked does says it was printed in China.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

nonamesleft

Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

I wouldn't say that. I believe my hobart stick welder was made here. The lincoln stick welder has a made in china cord on so they lost out because of that. But too often most things are made in china,

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

I thought sharp would of at least made them in thailand or something.

Curious why you think that. They're a for-profit company and if they can have their product(s) made in a location that maintains their quality levels (you can get high-quality from China - it's up to the company and the standards they demand) and has the lowest costs (i.e. labor), they're going to !

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

1 recommendation

reply to nonamesleft
You can find a lot of things made in the USA if you look hard enough. The problem is the typical consumer simply wants the cheapest shit made, quality or origin be damned. This is easy to see by how packed every Walmart parking lot is. The subject of garden spray nozzles has come up here in this forum a few times. You absolutely cannot find one made in the USA unless you look around the internet. No local retailers carry them.

On a side note, I have noticed Home Depot has started carrying more and more USA made items. Also, this is not a dig against the Chinese people, I know for a fact those people can make some quality stuff. The problem lies with the companies that demand the cheapest specs on their products they have built over there.

nonamesleft

Manitowoc, WI
I go past walmart and it often seems like no one ever leaves! Do people live in that place?

nonamesleft

Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by nonamesleft:

I thought sharp would of at least made them in thailand or something.

Curious why you think that. They're a for-profit company and if they can have their product(s) made in a location that maintains their quality levels (you can get high-quality from China - it's up to the company and the standards they demand) and has the lowest costs (i.e. labor), they're going to !

Well I have a sharp microwave that was made in thailand, I think it was manufactured in 2005.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
That could have been that one particular model or it could have been the last year they made them in Thailand. Or, that factory could have made the same (internal) microwave for Sharp, LG, Panasonic, and more and just put different faceplates on it.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

You can find a lot of things made in the USA if you look hard enough. The problem is the typical consumer simply wants the cheapest shit made, quality or origin be damned.

Personally, I prefer quality over low-cost, but I often can't afford it.... :-(

When I do find "Made in USA" stuff, I'm pleasantly surprised. I remember buying those giant storage tubs (Rubbermaid, I think) at Walmart, yes, Walmart, and they were made in the USA.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to hdtvtechno22
There are things still made in the USA and you are usually informed of the fact by a big-ass American flag taking up one side of the box stating the fact.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Haha ! Very true !

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 recommendation

reply to seaquake
All too often, under that big-ass American flag, it's written in two-point font that the item is "Designed in USA". It's nearly as misleading as the "Made in PRC" mentioned earlier.
--
Zach

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
2 point font? I imagine that would look like Morse code

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

There are plenty of things made in America:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Am ··· program)

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Zach1
Or, "assembled in USA" (from Chinese-made components, no doubt). Our BUNN coffee maker is that way.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
My sister used to work at a packaging manufacturer. They made packaging boxes for companies. On the bottom of every box they made was stamped "Made in the USA", meaning the box was. They sent a lot of their boxes overseas. Makes a guy wonder. The box company has since went out of business.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Incorrect and companies are starting to move manufacturing back because of the Chinese middle class getting bigger.

PRC is more correct for the country of origin since that is the correct full name for China.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is...

I'm not sure I've even seen "PRC" on anything. I also suspect that may be skirting the FTC rules regarding where a product is made. They do allow abbreviations but only when they're "obvious" as to what they mean. I'm not sure "PRC" is obvious to most people.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to nonamesleft
Sharp has a large manufacturing facility here in Memphis which used to make televisions and microwaves and such. Today they primarily make solar panels, although they may still do some "Assembled in the USA" work there, too, for various items.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to hdtvtechno22
said by hdtvtechno22:

Sadly, that's what most Americans mistakenly think. The United States manufacturing sector output is the second largest in the world. It is just a hair below that of China's manufacturing sector output. Japan, in third, doesn't even come close to producing half of the USA manufacturing output:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufactur ··· g_sector

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to nonamesleft
Back in the late '80 s I was a rep for Sharp.

I took multiple trips to Memphis. Walked with the ducks.

Sharp hade a state of the art manufacturing facility there, in Memphis.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to nonamesleft
That factory made microwave ovens and AC's

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
said by mityfowl:

That factory made microwave ovens and AC's

Apparently Sharp has made a lot of stuff there over the years, at least in small quantities, because every time I read something about it they mention something different. It looks like it originated as a color television factory, and today makes "microwave ovens, copier toner and solar modules", but all you ever really hear about today is the solar stuff - 3 million panels and counting!

»www.sharpusa.com/AboutSharp/News ··· nel.aspx

Note that's just the panels/modules; I suspect that the solar cells themselves originate from China, which has been flooding the market with cheap cells lately.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Lurch77:

They are a Japanese brand, but "made in PRC". They use "PRC" instead of "China", I suppose for marketing. Most people don't know what PRC is...

I'm not sure I've even seen "PRC" on anything. I also suspect that may be skirting the FTC rules regarding where a product is made. They do allow abbreviations but only when they're "obvious" as to what they mean. I'm not sure "PRC" is obvious to most people.

I'm surprised you have not seen it. It is on a lot of products sold here in the USA. Here are some google image examples. »www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ma ··· Gwpfj6Ag

China is not the only one doing this. On the job, I ran into some gas regulators stamped "Made in E.U.." I found out later this stood for European Union, and means the parts were made in one of any of the European countries in the union.