All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Snowy

to Snowy

Im glad i have 3rd party cookies BLOCKED and scripts DISABLED!

I only got 1 (from the site itself)

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

I only got 1...

I can never stop at just one cookie

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

The very same reason I don't buy them.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

1 recommendation

Frodo to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Im glad i have 3rd party cookies BLOCKED and scripts DISABLED!

I don't think that blocking 3rd party cookies and blocking scripts is good enough.

There the Etag fiasco, where files cached in a browser's cache are used as a cookie. The IP address can be recorded, along with the browser's fingerprints.

The best way to not be tracked by 3rd parties is to restrict cross domain requests so that I don't connect to the 3rd parties servers in the first place. I use Request Policy for that purpose.

When I viewed the article, Request Policy showed the following blocked cross domain requests.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Here is the double click at that site

»www.networkworld.com/inc ··· .js?2532
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I get this if I click on your link.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Make it fun

»superuser.com/questions/ ··· h-own-js

»www.proxomitron.info/tes ··· dex.html
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20
quote:
I get this if I click on your link.
Hmmmmm i dont get anything Mele,it tries to DL (doubleclick_ads.js) to which i just click Cancel
said by angussf :
If you're using Firefox (except Android) you can make third-party cookies session cookies only.
I can do that too.. That will block all FIRST PARTY COOKIES ALSO right? (Unless logged in somewhere)
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
Well, you wouldn't get what I do as everything is filtered through Proxomitron (for all browsers) and what I posted was Proxo's script for doubleclick to stop doubleclick. If I were to bypass Proxo and try Name Game's link, I'd probably get what you got. Name Game knows I use Proxo and that is why he posted those links in his reply to me.

You have to go a step further in Fx, Opera, SeaMonkey if you want to make all cookies "Session Only" EXCEPT for a few first party ones (like login ones for dslr) that you want to be permanent. You have to go into Options/Privacy and you must change the History tab to "Fx will use Custom Settings for History". That gives you choices regarding cookie handling.

Under History, uncheck "Permanent Private Browsing Mode". Then check "Accept Cookies from Sites". UNcheck "accept third party cookies". Next to "Keep Until:" open the drop down box and choose "Until I close Fx". That makes all cookies session only. If you want a few first party ones to be kept permanently then click on the "Exceptions" box on the right side and add the address of the web site where you wish FIRST PARTY cookies to be kept permanently. You have already UNchecked the box next to "accept third party cookies" so those will never be accepted at all (as session or permanent). The only ones that will be treated as first party, permanent cookies will be those from websites where you type in the address on the Exceptions screen. All other first party cookies will be treated as Session Only and automatically deleted when you close Fx.