join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to ArgMeMatey

Premium Member

to ArgMeMatey

Re: mylowes card?!?!?

said by ArgMeMatey:

Friday at Sherwin-Williams the cashier was asking the guy next to me if he wanted to list a room in the computer for the paint he was buying. So you know a bunch of MBAs think this will make some money for them. Stay tuned.

Actually, if you like Sherwin Williams paint (and I am definitely in that camp), that makes sense, especially if you are color matching a chip from another store or sample you brought in to them. If you need a custom color remade, they don't need another sample, the computer will have that record. It is pretty convenient.

Sidenote: A pro painter gave a painter's secret away to me on how to get the best prices on Sherwin Williams paint and wring out as much profit in a job as possible about a year ago. I was in a Sherwin Williams store and needed a quart made up, and he was in front of me with no one else in the store. He let me cut him and said his order would be really big. I was having my paint made up, and the next sales rep took his order. He ordered something like 170 gallons of paint. I thought he hit the jackpot for a job (times are pretty slow for builders in the last few years). So I asked him what big job he got. None he replied. I said then why are you buying so much paint... he said he waits for the 40% off sale and buys in bulk during that sale- AND HAS NONE OF IT COLORED! Then, when a customer hires him, he brings whatever he needs back to the store to be colored at no charge in the future. When he bids jobs, he factors the full price of the Sherwin Williams paint into the bid, and makes sure the customer knows that it's Sherwin Williams that he'll be using (which is notorious for crazy high prices when not on sale). It helps him hedge against price hikes, and allows him to squeeze more profit out of his fewer jobs by pocketing the 40% discount he got during the Sherwin Williams sale. He said as long as you keep it in an area that doesn't freeze, the paint will keep well for quite some time.

Pretty slick actually...

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by ArgMeMatey:

Friday at Sherwin-Williams the cashier was asking the guy next to me if he wanted to list a room in the computer for the paint he was buying. So you know a bunch of MBAs think this will make some money for them. Stay tuned.

Actually, if you like Sherwin Williams paint (and I am definitely in that camp), that makes sense, especially if you are color matching a chip from another store or sample you brought in to them. If you need a custom color remade, they don't need another sample, the computer will have that record. It is pretty convenient.

Sidenote: A pro painter gave a painter's secret away to me on how to get the best prices on Sherwin Williams paint and wring out as much profit in a job as possible about a year ago. I was in a Sherwin Williams store and needed a quart made up, and he was in front of me with no one else in the store. He let me cut him and said his order would be really big. I was having my paint made up, and the next sales rep took his order. He ordered something like 170 gallons of paint. I thought he hit the jackpot for a job (times are pretty slow for builders in the last few years). So I asked him what big job he got. None he replied. I said then why are you buying so much paint... he said he waits for the 40% off sale and buys in bulk during that sale- AND HAS NONE OF IT COLORED! Then, when a customer hires him, he brings whatever he needs back to the store to be colored at no charge in the future. When he bids jobs, he factors the full price of the Sherwin Williams paint into the bid, and makes sure the customer knows that it's Sherwin Williams that he'll be using (which is notorious for crazy high prices when not on sale). It helps him hedge against price hikes, and allows him to squeeze more profit out of his fewer jobs by pocketing the 40% discount he got during the Sherwin Williams sale. He said as long as you keep it in an area that doesn't freeze, the paint will keep well for quite some time.

Pretty slick actually...

That goes against my 3 P rule. Never hire a preacher, poet or painter.