uniqs
share rss forum feed

OverUtilized

join:2011-03-30
Traer, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[IA] DCC-ACK Not Received ??

Can anyone shine a little light on what some of these codes mean in simple terms it would be appreciated.

Error (4) DCC-ACK not received

Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

SmackWeasel

join:2008-01-02
kudos:1

I'm personally very familiar with this issue. So I'll give it a stab.

- DCC-ACK not received:
DCC = Direct client to client -
ACK = (TCP) acknowledgments (something like a "handshake" between your modem and the assigned node)

- TLV-11 - unrecognized OID:
TLV = Type (code usually binary)
Length (the size sent in bytes)
Value (the amount in clusters)
11 = A TLV protocol for modems
OID = Oracle Internet directory (Oracle's proprietary network service code)

- DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response:
DHCP = Dynamic host configuration protocol (A shortcut to configuring a network device or assigning IP's and parameters; domain names, gateways,etc)
Non-critical field invalid in response = This is self evident and means your modem is losing sync (ISP) or unstable (bad modem)

- No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out:
No Ranging Response received = Ranging means the signal is sent in differing ranged increments to try and connect one way or another.
T3 = Is a time out description (T1 through T6) T3 means; ranging requests retry are exhausted.

Put it all together it means your modem is laboring pretty hard to try and keep in sync and maintain a stable connection.

--

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to OverUtilized

said by OverUtilized:

TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

Any time I've ever seen this in the log file, it means your modem had lost it's connection.

OverUtilized

Traer, IA
reply to SmackWeasel

Thank you for your response that is exactly what I was looking for a little "dumb it down" for me to kinda figure it what exactly these mean.

OverUtilized

Traer, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to OverUtilized

Yes you are correct this is what is in the log everytime the modem goes down. And only these errors. Mediacom is currently working on resolution but it is a slow process as to be expected when troubleshooting issues in a small town in the middle of nowhere the techs only come once or twice a week. So far he has been here 4 times and has replaced everything on the pole and from the pole to the modem and I mean everything. Has ran new cable direct to modem to isolate all splitters and make sure no signal loss is there. I am sure they will figure this out. MediacomChad is on board as well and I an thankful for all he does/.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to SmackWeasel

I thought that DCC was Dynamic Channel Change used on D2 modems to help with congestion?

SmackWeasel

join:2008-01-02
kudos:1

Haha...So much for taking a blind stab. You've forced me to actually use my browser here SHotta35.

You are absolutely right and it does makes sense. I know that the
"ACK" acronym universally stands for acknowledge/ment and also remembered from my IRC days that "DCC" stood for direct client to client and assumed the same applied here as a conformation of transmission receipt. My humble bad.

--

mr_boodog

join:2008-08-12
reply to OverUtilized

Wow, I did not realize this might be a common issue. For the past few days, my connection has gone down, (about 10-15 sec.) then up for perhaps 15-30 minutes. I have been checking my router status and when it is down, the ip address for the router is actually 192.168.100.10 and the gateway is 192.168.100.1. I believe this is supposed to be the modem's static address.

When the router status is up, it provided a regular MCHSI 73.x.x.x and everything is fine. I also noticed when it is down the DHCP lease is 0 hour.

Is there anything we can do ourselves to fix, or is it all on MC side?

mr_boodog

reply to OverUtilized

@mediacomchad,

I have these same errors on my cable modem. My connection has been going off and on for several days now. I bypassed firewall\router and still see same results. Stays on for about 20-30 minutes, then off for several seconds. Is it back to that old issue of dhcp lease time. Is this something physical with the lines or with configuration\ end equipment?

Grand Rapids, MN

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

2 recommendations

No worries

In theory it's supposed to go like this:

CMTS-Channel 2 is starting to get crowded, switch to channel 3 at 300Mhz.
Modem-OK, switching to channel 3 @ 300Mhz ACK
CMTS-Roger

Modem switches to channel 3
Modem resyncs with CMTS
Modem online

Modem-Hey CMTS - I'm now on Channel 3.
CMTS-Roger that, carry on.

Now what really happens is this:

CMTS-Channel 2 is starting to get crowded, switch to channel 3 at 300Mhz.
Modem-OK, switching to channel 3 @ 300Mhz ACK
CMTS-" "
Modem-Umm HELLO?
Modem-Hey, you did say channel 3 right?
Modem-riiiiiiggght?
Modem-"Forever alone"
Modem-"Does not compute, danger Will Robinson"
Modem-Screw it, no ACK, i'm rebooting!

Modem reboots, tries to sync on channel 2 again and either fails and throws up some T3 and T4 errors or connects and CMTS sends it to channel 3 again or 5 this time and start all over again!

CMTS-Hey, wtf I thought I told you to get on Channel 3!?!
Modem-???????????????
CMTS-Nevermind, just follow my instructions next time which is in less than 22 seconds from now.
Modem- "Okay"

(they sync ever 30 seconds or so).

mr_boodog

reply to OverUtilized

My cable modem is still resetting itself every 15-20 minutes. It resets fairly quickly--15-20 seconds.

I have pulled the power and left off for several minutes, and it is still resetting. Sometimes it will stay online for a good hour, but usually I watch the indicator lights flash and it reboots.

It looks like others have seen this happening as well. I haven't contacted support yet; the consensus on the thread seems to be the modem trying to obtain IP address from a good block.

Thanks
Jeff

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:95

mr_boodog If you like you can send me an IM with your account info and I will check into this.

mr_boodog

Done

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Thank you

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
Reviews:
·US Cellular
reply to OverUtilized

The DCC-ACK error is also known as ranging. This can be caused if you are a HSD only subscriber who still has the old style trap in place. The reason behind this is as follows

In Eastern Iowa, and I assume most other areas the original channel for the modems was channel A-2 (98), Channel A-1 (99) was added to support other functions. The traps that were in use before the DOCSIS 3.0 standard block all video channels with the exception of channels A-1 & A-2, and return path (5-50mhz). DOCSIS 3.0 adds 2 more channels for a total of at least 4. The channels have to be all in the same pod, so we now use Channels A-2 (98), A-1 (99), A (14), B (15). Problem arises when the CMTS tells the modem to move from channel A-2 or A-1 to A or B. The older traps block channels A & B so no matter how hard the modem tries to hear the CMTS on those channels, it never will.

If your not a HSD only subscriber it could be as simple as a bad fitting somewhere. Keep in mind that low frequencies cant jump and high frequencies cant swim. Being that all the channels in use for the modem are in mid-band or lower, it makes them all low frequencies. A bad barrel in a wall plate, a hidden splice in a wall, damage from a nail for hanging a picture, pulling the cable to get just that extra little reach, or coiling it up tight, ect ect can cause this. Sometimes you will see elevated transmit levels or lower then expected receive levels.

If you live in, and own a house we can track down and fix the problem. If its a rental or a apartment building it can be a little more tricky. We can only do so much in a situation like this. We can replace fittings and splitters, but usually we are prevented from replacing lines and the such.

mr_boodog

Good information; thanks for sharing. I haven't had any issues since swapping the modem, but am still monitoring the situation. I am only subscribed to HSI, and am not sure about the type of traps. Here are the stats from the replaced modem.

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 111.0 MHz 0.6 dBmV 39.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
3 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
4 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
5 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
6 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
7 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
8 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
2 32.0 MHz 47.0 dBmV 16 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

mr_boodog, your signals are looking great at the moment.

mr_boodog

Thanks for verifying the signal strengths. With new device, I have had 5 days straight without any of those constant modem resets.

Chad, we all appreciate your assistance, patience, and help in troubleshooting some of these weird scenarios.

Jeff

OverUtilized

Traer, IA

OverUtilized

Traer, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to mr_boodog

said by mr_boodog:

Thanks for verifying the signal strengths. With new device, I have had 5 days straight without any of those constant modem resets.

Chad, we all appreciate your assistance, patience, and help in troubleshooting some of these weird scenarios.

Jeff

I agree Chad has kept me in the loop. I also live in a small town in Iowa and there is only one tech that services the town, he is great also and has stopped by on spare time to see if anything has improved.

OverUtilized

Traer, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to OverUtilized

I am still plagued with this issue and I didn't figure it could be that hard to solve. Maybe it is my modem, I have already switched from a surfboard to a rca and maybe we need to switch again. The tech has physically replaced everything on my property and everything on the pole, he has also ran a independent line only for my modem. It is exactly the same error logs every time as i posted in the beginning so it obviously the same issue. Thanks for all the info on these errors and the dumb down language for us basics.