how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WareWolF2k

join:2000-11-14
Allentown, PA
reply to dogma

Re: What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

I went to the web site for that $1800 washer and they also have washers that start at $1299 in white, comparable to the price of a decent washer from the major brands. You can't compare a top of the line stainless steel commercial washer to a $500 bestbuy special. If I was in the market for a washer I would consider this brand.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

You could buy 2 $500 Best Buy Specials and have $299 left over. It's a matter of economics.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
reply to WareWolF2k

said by WareWolF2k:

If I was in the market for a washer I would consider this brand.

said by Jack_in_VA:

You could buy 2 $500 Best Buy Specials and have $299 left over. It's a matter of economics.

...so I am carefully considering the business model that would make both WareWolF2k See Profile & Jack_in_VA See Profile happy. But it's a win/win-lose/lose proposition no matter how I attempt to slice and dice it.

Assuming Stabler has a better engineered mousetrap, how do they go from a very small, one-off shop to a large competitor in the marketplace?

To have mass appeal, they need to compete at a price point that the big box stores will carry, and the global consumer will find value in ( Jack_in_VA See Profile's statement is the way consumers think). In order to do that, they must mass produce on a large scale - which would bring the price per unit down by 60% or more, since big box wants to buy wholesale for $300 and sell retail for $600.

To mass produce they have two choices. Borrow a massive amount of $$$ or get an investor(s) to pony up a massive amount of capital to build a high volume manufacturing plant in Ohio.

The odds of this happening are almost impossible. As risk capital for a company like this is virtually nonexistent. There is no bank that will loan them a few hundred million as they don't have the security (collateral), or cash flow to justify it. An investor may come in, but the new manufacturing facility would have to be almost totally automated...resulting in no net new jobs created other than the construction of the plant, and the purchase of the robots.

More than likely, any investor worth their salt, would demand all manufacturing be done by the lowest bidding 3rd party to minimize their financial risk. And that would be in China.

This is exactly what happened to Dyson vacuum (Interestingly enough, Dyson, although known for vacuums, also makes washing machines ). Originally manufactured in Malmesbury, Wiltshire (England) up until 2002. In 2002, they moved their vacuum cleaner production to Malaysia...as well as their washing machine production.

So Stabler as a company could win...like Dyson, but American workers would absolutely lose.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Stabler Washer Consumer Complaints & Reviews

A product priced as high over most other brands should not be having the problems listed. Leads me to believe it's more hype than actual value. Stainless steel in itself does not indicate a superior product.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to dogma

said by dogma:

An investor may come in, but the new manufacturing facility would have to be almost totally automated...resulting in no net new jobs created other than the construction of the plant, and the purchase of the robots.

But in politician speak, that's jobs created! Somehow, in their minds, construction = new jobs. Even though they are temporary.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to WareWolF2k

said by WareWolF2k:

I went to the web site for that $1800 washer and they also have washers that start at $1299 in white, comparable to the price of a decent washer from the major brands. You can't compare a top of the line stainless steel commercial washer to a $500 bestbuy special. If I was in the market for a washer I would consider this brand.

I would search craigslist for laundromat grade machine. Will last forever, and super fast, assuming you have a 1 inch water main and you have give it a toilet waste pipe.