share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to Msradell

Re: Garden Tractors: Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere.. Others?

said by Msradell:

said by SwedishRider:

What is the difference between a tractor that has a locking differential and one that doesn't. Is that like a car that has posi-traction vs a car that has limited slip?

Exactly! If you don't have the locking differential in one wheel starts spinning you're stuck! With the locking differential the other wheel will still have traction. This is especially important for hills and snow removal if you intend on using it for that.

So knowing this, I would be better with the tractors with a locking differential given that I am on steep hills and might use it for light snow removal. Is that correct?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Take this for what it's worth, but if your landscape is that steep, I'd stay the hell away from any riding mower that you sit up on (tractor). I would be looking for a self-propelled walk-behind mower instead. I have seen some ZTR mowers that allowed for a much lower center of gravity. The only reason I have a Cub Cadet riding tractor is to make use of having the big sno-blower mounted to the front. For just mowing, I much prefer my walk behind.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Pacrat:

Take this for what it's worth, but if your landscape is that steep, I'd stay the hell away from any riding mower that you sit up on (tractor). I would be looking for a self-propelled walk-behind mower instead. I have seen some ZTR mowers that allowed for a much lower center of gravity. The only reason I have a Cub Cadet riding tractor is to make use of having the big sno-blower mounted to the front. For just mowing, I much prefer my walk behind.

+1 (depending on the size of your yard). Parents have a hilly yard that is a 1/2 acre and the Husqvarna I just got them works wonders. Riding mowers also have the tendency to miss things if your not careful.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
said by sk1939:

said by Pacrat:

+1 (depending on the size of your yard). Parents have a hilly yard that is a 1/2 acre and the Husqvarna I just got them works wonders. Riding mowers also have the tendency to miss things if your not careful.

Yard is just too big... 2.5+ acres of land to mow and trim. The push mower is taking me WAY too much time... sometimes I have to split it up over a couple days in the evenings to get it done.. and I'm spent after that.

I used to use a push mower weekly when I had .25 acre to mow... different story at this point..