pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to battleop

Re: Be Realistic

said by battleop:

It is a pain in the ass to support the customers equipment. The problem is that the customer pretty much never will accept the idea that their problem is with their equipment. Even worse is that the more advanced the equipment ( Think Tomato, PFSense, etc.) the more difficult it is to get them to understand the problem is with their $200 setup and not the $100k+ router on our side.

Sorry I am not buying it. Besides, if the company owns the modem and people must pay to rent it, what do you think this is going to cause from a support perspective? Cue the "it's your modem, you get out here and fix it NOW" calls going up by an order of magnitude.

This is no different than the bad old days of Ma Bell requiring you to rent your phones from them.

Why not just call it what it is, a rate hike, and be done with it?
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

The better solution is to just tell customers pay $6.50 and we support your modem. If you don't it's your equipment and you have to support your own equipment.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

1 recommendation

Exactly battleop. If you called AT&T for support you'd better be using their preferred equipment or you're on your own. That is a reasonable response and I'm disappointed in Sonic's stance.