This is a sub-selection from Be Realistic

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to battleop

Re: Be Realistic

said by battleop:

Even worse is that the more advanced the equipment ( Think Tomato, PFSense, etc.) the more difficult it is to get them to understand the problem is with their $200 setup and not the $100k+ router on our side.

If they're running pfSense or Tomato, they'd better know their stuff.

It's like a consumer buying a Cisco router and not knowing a darn thing about it.. except it allows them to get on the Internet.

If I have any issues and need to call tech support, there's usually an issue with the line, their router, CMTS (or DSLAM), or one of their servers went down.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

battleop

join:2005-09-28
'they'd better know their stuff."

You would think that but this is more often not the case (at least when they make it to my group). It's usually not the equipment but a misconfiguration on their equipment. Usually the first clue that they really don't know their stuff is if they spend the first 5 minutes of the call telling you how qualified they are. Nine time out of ten if you have to tell me how qualified you are, you probably are not.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by battleop:

Usually the first clue that they really don't know their stuff is if they spend the first 5 minutes of the call telling you how qualified they are. Nine time out of ten if you have to tell me how qualified you are, you probably are not.

Ya. I hear that from my friends that work at Optimum. I usually talk to the T2's because I lose the T1's at the first set of questions. It's rare I find a T1 that can speak geek.

..of course I also know a Network Engineer at Optimum (aka. Bresnan).
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

battleop

join:2005-09-28
We don't have anyone who is really T1 or T2 unless you count non technical customer service employees. If you talk to someone technical with us you start with T3 but then again we will not handle residential customers which in it self knocks out 80% of your support issues.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.