@bell.ca

tkavan to ifred

Anon

to ifred

Re: [TV] Basic FibeTV questions

To ifred...

Thanks for the detailed response.

Could I ask for something more specific re #1:

I wish to be able to use my only TV in two separate rooms. Each has a telephone jack, and it isn't practical to connect the two rooms with coax.

Can the technician wire the two jacks, or whatever it is he does, so that I can move the modem-pvr-tv combination from one room to the other? In other words unplug the combination from one room, take it to the other, and plug it in there (and have it work!).

I'm presuming, because I haven't read it anywhere, that it's not possible to have a wireless connection between the modem and the pvr??

Thanks,
Tom K.
ruggs
join:2012-03-26
Ontario

ruggs

This is not currently possible, they don't use telephone jacks for connecting, (Unless cat5e is used for wiring, if that is the case then it may be possible to move the box to and fro) As far as I know bell dosen't have any Wireless Set top boxes yet, but I believe it is planned to release these at some point...

tkavan
@bell.ca

tkavan

Anon

said by ruggs:

This is not currently possible, they don't use telephone jacks for connecting,

Now I'm really confused!! I thought the Bell technician would install a special jack adjacent to and somehow connected to my present jack, and the present jack would continue to be for my telephone service and the special jack would be connected to the FibeTV modem.

Is this not the way it goes? (Obviously I am, as ifred suggested above, a regular user rather than an advanced user!)

Thanks,
Tom K.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by tkavan :

said by ruggs:

Now I'm really confused!! I thought the Bell technician would install a special jack adjacent to and somehow connected to my present jack, and the present jack would continue to be for my telephone service and the special jack would be connected to the FibeTV modem.

Is this not the way it goes? (Obviously I am, as ifred suggested above, a regular user rather than an advanced user!)

Thanks,
Tom K.

Only the modem is connected to a phone jack in order to get a VDSL2 signal from Bell. And usually it's installed with a potsplitter if you have phones, because you need to filter them. So you can't move your modem from place to place.

tkavan
@bell.ca

tkavan

Anon

said by kovy7:

said by tkavan :

said by ruggs:

Thanks,
Tom K.

Only the modem is connected to a phone jack in order to get a VDSL2 signal from Bell. And usually it's installed with a potsplitter if you have phones, because you need to filter them. So you can't move your modem from place to place.

Could potsplitters be installed on both my phone jacks, so I could move the fibetv modem from one to the other whenever I wish?
kovy7

kovy7

said by tkavan :

Could potsplitters be installed on both my phone jacks, so I could move the fibetv modem from one to the other whenever I wish?

No...

What the tech could do is run 2 jacks from the potsplitter... filtering the rest.

But I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish...

"I wish to be able to use my only TV in two separate rooms"

You only have one TV and you want to move it from room to room whenever?

tkavan
@bell.ca

tkavan

Anon

said by kovy7:

said by tkavan :

No...

What the tech could do is run 2 jacks from the potsplitter... filtering the rest.

Yes, I'm doing some renovation/reorganization and don't know which room the TV will eventually be used in. So in the meantime I'd like to be able to move it from one to the other. It's not practical to connect the rooms with coax, so I thought a good solution would be for the technician to enable both jacks to connect to the fibetv modem. Seems like I was wrong! Though I don't know if there is a technical reason why this wouldn't work, or if it's just a case of "Bell doesn't do that."

Anonymuss
@rogers.com

Anonymuss to kovy7

Anon

to kovy7
I think TVs have come down enough in price that you should just buy another one...

»ontario.kijiji.ca/p/buy- ··· CatId=15

tkavan
@bell.ca

tkavan

Anon

said by Anonymuss :

I think TVs have come down enough in price that you should just buy another one...

»ontario.kijiji.ca/p/buy- ··· CatId=15

This is not a money-saving exercise!

It's not practical to run a coax cable from one room to the other. So I'd like to be able to use the jack in either room as my fibetv source. Even with two TVs, I'd still have the same problem... how to connect in either room without coax between them.
kovy7

kovy7 to tkavan

to tkavan
said by tkavan :

said by kovy7:

said by tkavan :

No...

Yes, I'm doing some renovation/reorganization and don't know which room the TV will eventually be used in. So in the meantime I'd like to be able to move it from one to the other. It's not practical to connect the rooms with coax, so I thought a good solution would be for the technician to enable both jacks to connect to the fibetv modem. Seems like I was wrong! Though I don't know if there is a technical reason why this wouldn't work, or if it's just a case of "Bell doesn't do that."

it's doable... it's just this is not a nomad service... lol

Well just ask him to have 2 jacks working for the modem.

tkavan
@bell.ca

tkavan

Anon

said by kovy7:

it's doable... it's just this is not a nomad service... lol

Well just ask him to have 2 jacks working for the modem.

Thanks kovy. That's what I will do. And then I'll be a nomad for a while!

Anonymuss
@rogers.com

Anonymuss

Anon

Well first off, Bell DOESN'T do that and having two jacks run off the POTS splitter partially defeats its purpose of eliminating end taps to obtain stable service, but sure why not, this apparently isn't about stability either, just convenience.

If it's not practical to run a coax, ask the tech to run CAT5, or is that not practical either for some reason?

Better yet, ask him if he has a wireless bridge module in his truck and eliminate the wires altogether..
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by Anonymuss :

If it's not practical to run a coax, ask the tech to run CAT5, or is that not practical either for some reason?

Better yet, ask him if he has a wireless bridge module in his truck and eliminate the wires altogether..

Might as well get the tech to wire the entire house with CAT5 while you're at it...

Seriously, the tech won't do either of those. At most if the tech is nice would be laying out some extra coax to the second location in addition to the primary location.

rebmem
@rogers.com

rebmem to tkavan

Anon

to tkavan
said by tkavan :

Can the technician wire the two jacks, or whatever it is he does, so that I can move the modem-pvr-tv combination from one room to the other? In other words unplug the combination from one room, take it to the other, and plug it in there and have it work

It is definitely possible and can be done without problems. The situation is when you have a single reciever, the building is single riser, direct-dial enterphone, and the service is a dryloop.

If someone wanted to plug the modem into the bedroom jack or plug the modem into the living room jack...

The riser pair appears in the living room jack and the feeds branch of of that to the other rooms. All that has to be done is a telephone jack placed at the living room jack and a jack placed at the bedroom jack. Plain and simple. All other branches should be disconnected to avoid endtaps. A pots splitter is not nessesary in this situation as we are not dealing with voice or old style enterphone. Now the customer can move the tv+reciever+modem to either room to their hearts desire.