uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to randyw57

Re: Is there a way to determine which band a device is using?

does a Ipad even have access to 5GHz? I think it is 2.4 b/g/n only. It does not have a wireless radio that can get a 5 signal.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

randyw57

join:2006-12-30
O Fallon, IL
Yes, I believe the iPads do both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
I believe the phones may only be 2.4GHz.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
according to Apple it is b/g/n only : »www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

randyw57

join:2006-12-30
O Fallon, IL
Well, my Netgear provisions 5GHz. I set that band up with a different SSID than the 2.4GHz. And I Connected the iPad to the 5GHz band. And it behaved like I expected 5GHz. It gave great throughput when the iPad was close to the router. But slowed quickly as I moved away. And outside it barely worked at all. When I switched Connections to the 2.4GHz for the iPad it behaved like I expected. Slightly slower speed at close range. But I could go outside and get 90% of what I got in the same room as the router. I've been posting on the Apple forums and they definitely say the device tests each band for the best signal and chooses that. The Airport devices say the same thing.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

does a Ipad even have access to 5GHz? I think it is 2.4 b/g/n only. It does not have a wireless radio that can get a 5 signal.

The iPad2 or better does have 5ghz n - mine syncs to the 5ghz side of my wifi just fine (different ssids here)

If you use different ssids, the iPad should switch to the next "known" network when it cannot stay synced to the 5ghz one, so using the same ssid isn't necessary.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us