|reply to Moostang |
Re: [Speed] Suddenlink Cable internet Lag
If you are having issues with collisions because of one client NOT being set to AUTO, you are doing something wrong. Every router you can buy off the shelf has an autosensing switch built in. This means that no matter what you set the client to, the switch will adjust. Running full, half, or auto will not cause collisions on the network.
You are correct on the ports though, being opened or closed. As far as obdurl running a port scanner, I assumed he was just curious.
And I didn't want to jump to any form of conclusion, but through all this hassle we are narrowing down what could be the issue. And seeing as how the phone is fine, and the computers are fine, it is starting to look like the ps3 may be having some issues, whether it is inside the unit, or the server. By chance, are you able to take the PS3 to another house in your town and preform the same speed test and/or try playing a game and see if the results are the same or different?
20/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old
No I haven't tried a different house. Might have to try it but as far as it might be the PS3 its self, I personally am not sure that is the case. The online SL tech I had a couple of days ago looked thru old records and saw a significant increase in their data reporting on my account starting in April just before they replaced the modem. The their was some major increases on July 3 when they replaced my modem with the Docsis 3.0. They were supposed to come out and replace the line from the pole to the house and some of the line splitters the installed. The SL Tech online was talking about downstream data corrections versus uncorrected. His data report on my account was in the millions of uncorrected data.
Below is a sample of data from my modem the last couple of days.
DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 196 573.00 MHz -2.04 dBmV 36.61 dB 256QAM 375847480 72233 406471
Downstream 2 195 567.00 MHz -1.83 dBmV 36.17 dB 256QAM 298977711 47727 300843
But you said the internet is working fine on all other devices in your house so how would it make sense for this to be a problem with the Cable Modem connection?
This likely points to a problem with the PS3, the connection to the PS3, or a routiing problem between your IP and the destination IP's that your gaming on.
|reply to moldypickle |
For arguments sake I verified what I already knew. I set my Windows 7 PC's NIC to auto and set my 2950 cisco switch to auto and both sides negotiated at 100/Full. 0 packet-loss.
I then hard set my PC to FULL and left my switch at auto. The switch negotiated at 100 HALF with collisions and my PC's NIC started taking CRC errors. 10% packet-loss with standard dos pings.
I then reset my PC to AUTO and reset my switch to hard set FULL and the switch showed 100/FULL but was taking input errors/crc errors. Again, 10% packet-loss with standard dos pings.
When one side is hard-set it no longer negotiates. However, the AUTO side still tries to negotiate but since the other side of the interface has negotiation turned off, the AUTO side fails to negotiate and goes to HALF.
If you're passing any data, then you're lucky with duplex mismatch. Last time I did that, the link light on my card just blinked, when it should have been solid, with no data being sucessfully passed.
But unless he went in and changed it himself, it would most likely 99.9% of the time default to Auto, and most likely negotiate to full, as we don't run shared segments anymore with the addition of switches and elimination of hubs.
|reply to Moostang |
I must have magic in me then, lol, have NEVER run into that issue personally. /shrug
|reply to jdmm72 |
It appears the SL Docsis 3 modems are set to 100(full). My Airport Extreme must be automatic since I can not find a setting to change it. Then My Mac Pro and PS3 are set to automatic. I tried to manually change the PS3 to Match the Modem at 100 Full Duplex and I had all kinds of problems. So I left it on auto. I realized I could not change it since the Router was was probably set to auto.
Cable modem ethernet ports are AUTO which is why you have problems when you hard set your device when connecting directly to it.
In regards to your PS3 getting 8mb speeds, that is MORE than enough to play online games. Unless the game is downloading patches, online games use almost no bandwidth, like less than 500k. Online games are based on latency more than bandwidth capacity. The only thing worse than high latency is packet-loss for an online game. If the correction errors mean the line was dropping packets then fixing those would definitely help your problem.