DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Immer

Re: [Cataclysm] Unfinished Cata Goals

what happened to boomkins? they used to be good?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
pvp, I think. they changed certain mechanics that allowed boomies to pick an eclipse and milk it... so now they are forced to yoyo from eclipse to eclipse... and the dungeon mechanics just aren't kind to boomies. That's just my opinion... I haven't done a lot of research or anything.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to DarkLogix
They haven't kept pace with the other classes. They're much stronger on multi-dot fights than they are on single target fights. Fights with much movement (LOL ALMOST ALL OF THEM) are horrible for boomkins because they nerfed the crap out of Moonfire/Sunfire due to PVP concerns.

Honestly, the balance spec is horriterribad to play as well. I'm going to be a druid in WoW until its end of days, however that doesn't mean they're the bees knees. It's rapidly apparent that the design time alloted to classes has been spent elsewhere. They're not "broken" per-se, but they aren't nearly as fun to play as other classes. Another hybrid, the priest, has many more interesting buttons to press in their primary damage (shadow) spec.

Boomkin is MF, IS, That-one-spell-that-used-to-hit-like-a-truck-that-i-cant-remember-the-name-of-but- the-free-proc-is-called-shooting-stars, Starfire till eclipse, wrath till eclipse, rinse repeat. use that one spell and refresh dots as appropriate. Cast trees before hero/lust/timewarp, cast starfall on cd, but try to time it with lunar eclipse. It doesn't SOUND that bad, but when you go to play it, it is THAT bad.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

pvp, I think. they changed certain mechanics that allowed boomies to pick an eclipse and milk it... so now they are forced to yoyo from eclipse to eclipse...

When forced to do full-time add duty (H Rhyolith, for example), you hit solar eclipse and never, ever leave it. Ever. That way your mushrooms hit much harder. This makes for the worlds most boring play.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by drew:

said by Immer:

pvp, I think. they changed certain mechanics that allowed boomies to pick an eclipse and milk it... so now they are forced to yoyo from eclipse to eclipse...

When forced to do full-time add duty (H Rhyolith, for example), you hit solar eclipse and never, ever leave it. Ever. That way your mushrooms hit much harder. This makes for the worlds most boring play.

I'm not saying they didn't need to fix it, I'm just saying that is how boomies were pulling great numbers before. The balance tree is about as balanced as Sinestra is sane.
--
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

I'd rather hang out with friends and collect gear, mounts, and achievements that don't require me to beat up on the weaker kid.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
The way they fixed it is removing some serious damage from sunfire/moonfire's direct damage component. This means the above AOE strategy is still valid since the vast majority of your DPS comes from shrooms & hurricane.
--