All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to elitefx

to elitefx

Re: [Express] Cisco DPC3008 does work on Rogers!

said by elitefx:

said by JohnPaul40:

Rogers was able to successfully activate my new Cisco Linksys DPC3008 modem (purchased at a local computer store). If anyone is interested in the details I will be glad to let you know here.

Definitely interested. I can get one at Canada Computers. Good work my friend. Please tell us how.....

Procedure has always been the same. Rogers reps are told not to activate non rogers modems or they don't know how to do it BUT there is a way to do it and reps have access to it thus there are a few reps who will do it without any problems. So its a game of chance, if you can get to the right rep you're golden. Just say you bought it at a local computer store so you have to activate it as a third party purchased modem. If the rep knows how he/she will do it.

Also on your bill/invoice or myrogers it will say something like third party purchased modem if its done right.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

@technocar2

Well, once a person has gotten a 3rd party modem activated IMHO the model/serial should be in the Rogers system along with the activation codes?? etc. so any CSR should be able to activate future same models. Right/Wrong??? Makes sense to me.....
JohnPaul40
join:2011-04-18
North York, ON

JohnPaul40

Steps to get DPC3008 activated on Rogers:
1) buy the modem, but don't open it. In case things don't work out you'll be able to return it without a re-stocking fee.
2) find the SN and MAC address on the outside of the box
3) call Rogers Retail Fulfillment at 1-877-236-7208
4) tell them the modem name, SN, MAC address. It's ok to tell them you bought it at a computer store.
5) Rogers will try to activate it and they'll tell it you it won't work.
6) Tell them to enter the MAC address in both the SN field and the MAC address field in their system.
7) the modem should now register and Rogers will tell you it's all done.
8) open the box, hook up your modem and give it a few mintues to connect to the network.

I found the above instructions buried in some other message somewhere on the internet. I did not figure this out on my own and neither did the Rogers guy.

Important note: If you're on a grandfathered plan all the above still won't get you the higher bandwidth!

Paul.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

@technocar2

Well, once a person has gotten a 3rd party modem activated IMHO the model/serial should be in the Rogers system along with the activation codes?? etc. so any CSR should be able to activate future same models. Right/Wrong??? Makes sense to me.....

Not exactly...only the modem that was added to the database will be able to get activated on different accounts once its removed for the current account. It doesn't apply to all modems of the same kind.

You have to do what JohnPaul says and hope the reps figures it out or he/she already knows how to do it.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx to JohnPaul40

to JohnPaul40
Called fullfillment. What model number did you use to get activated? Very important piece of the puzzle missing, other than that looking good. Sidenote: What hours are the fulfillment reps there (just curious)? Thanks
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to JohnPaul40

to JohnPaul40
said by JohnPaul40:

Important note: If you're on a grandfathered plan all the above still won't get you the higher bandwidth!

That is actually a very important note. One of the main reasons for doing this would be to get the higher bandwidth and the higher speeds. Do you at least get the higher speeds?

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

Not exactly...only the modem that was added to the database will be able to get activated on different accounts once its removed for the current account. It doesn't apply to all modems of the same kind.

"once a person has gotten a 3rd party modem activated IMHO the model#used/serial/MAC should be in the Rogers system"
I was 100% right about this. It's the first thing they look for to enable a new activation. Confirmed by Rogers today...
JohnPaul40
North York, ON

JohnPaul40 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Called fullfillment. What model number did you use to get activated? Very important piece of the puzzle missing, other than that looking good. Sidenote: What hours are the fulfillment reps there (just curious)? Thanks

I just told them Cisco Linksys DPC3008. I then explained that it's a similar modem to the DPC3825 but without wireless router.
Their hours are Mon-Sat 8am-midnight, Sun 9am-9pm
JohnPaul40

JohnPaul40 to Hooter

to Hooter
said by Hooter:

said by JohnPaul40:

That is actually a very important note. One of the main reasons for doing this would be to get the higher bandwidth and the higher speeds. Do you at least get the higher speeds?

I was on a grandfathered Express account, and after several minutes of pushing I finally got to speak to a manager who completely agreed with my request (ie I now have a D3 modem and I should get the 80 GB/mo transfer), so the only thing he could do was to bump me to an Extreme account at no extra charge (but for one year only) while maintain my grandfathered cable/TV bundle. So, I now have 95 GB/month... but I'm confused about the speed as I'm still getting 18 Mpbs down, but I'm getting about 800 Kpbs up. These three figures don't add up to an Extreme account. Nevertheless, I am getting what I orginally wanted (at least 80 GB/month transfer), so I'm happy.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to JohnPaul40

to JohnPaul40
And you are a Great man. Thankyouuuu......

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to JohnPaul40

Anon

to JohnPaul40
said by JohnPaul40:

said by Hooter:

said by JohnPaul40:

I was on a grandfathered Express account, and after several minutes of pushing I finally got to speak to a manager who completely agreed with my request (ie I now have a D3 modem and I should get the 80 GB/mo transfer), so the only thing he could do was to bump me to an Extreme account at no extra charge (but for one year only) while maintain my grandfathered cable/TV bundle. So, I now have 95 GB/month... but I'm confused about the speed as I'm still getting 18 Mpbs down, but I'm getting about 800 Kpbs up. These three figures don't add up to an Extreme account. Nevertheless, I am getting what I orginally wanted (at least 80 GB/month transfer), so I'm happy.

They put you on the grandfathered extreme which works with D2 modems. They probably provisioned your modem as a D2 modem hence why they couldn't give you Express with 80gb.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

said by yyzlhr :

They put you on the grandfathered extreme which works with D2 modems. They probably provisioned your modem as a D2 modem hence why they couldn't give you Express with 80gb.

That is what it looks like to me as well. I know JohnPaul is happy now that he has a higher speed and bandwidth allowance, but what is the point of paying for a new stand alone D3 modem and going through the hoops with Rogers to get it provisioned, only to have it set up as a D2 modem with a grandfathered plan? Something does not sound right here!
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to JohnPaul40

to JohnPaul40
said by JohnPaul40:

Steps to get DPC3008 activated on Rogers:
1) buy the modem, but don't open it. In case things don't work out you'll be able to return it without a re-stocking fee.
2) find the SN and MAC address on the outside of the box
3) call Rogers Retail Fulfillment at 1-877-236-7208
4) tell them the modem name, SN, MAC address. It's ok to tell them you bought it at a computer store.
5) Rogers will try to activate it and they'll tell it you it won't work.
6) Tell them to enter the MAC address in both the SN field and the MAC address field in their system.
7) the modem should now register and Rogers will tell you it's all done.
8) open the box, hook up your modem and give it a few mintues to connect to the network.

I found the above instructions buried in some other message somewhere on the internet. I did not figure this out on my own and neither did the Rogers guy.

Paul.

This is what you need to do from your end. From the office side end, there is one crucial step. You need them to add your modem to the system as a different modem. If you were to call the office, and find out what model you have, it wouldn't say cisco dpc3008, they would tell you some other model number, like the cisco 3825. Because the 3008 isn't authorized for use with rogers (at least not yet afaik).
JohnPaul40
North York, ON

JohnPaul40 to Hooter

to Hooter

That is what it looks like to me as well. I know JohnPaul is happy now that he has a higher speed and bandwidth allowance, but what is the point of paying for a new stand alone D3 modem and going through the hoops with Rogers to get it provisioned, only to have it set up as a D2 modem with a grandfathered plan? Something does not sound right here!

You're right...big headache and I'm not sure I'm much futher ahead. The Rogers guy was very sneaky: to satisfy my request for a higher monthly transfer cap, he moved me from Express to Extreme at no extra charge for one year. I was a happy customer. I later found out that he locked me into a one year agreement, without my consent!! I am about to call back Rogers and have that reversed.
JohnPaul40

JohnPaul40 to aereolis

to aereolis
said by aereolis:

This is what you need to do from your end. From the office side end, there is one crucial step. You need them to add your modem to the system as a different modem. If you were to call the office, and find out what model you have, it wouldn't say cisco dpc3008, they would tell you some other model number, like the cisco 3825. Because the 3008 isn't authorized for use with rogers (at least not yet afaik).

In a follow up call I asked Rogers what modem they see on my account and they said "customer owned DOCSIS WDZP". Just in case this means anything to anyone.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

it basically means what we were suspecting all along. They've provisioned your modem as a D2 modem, hence why they were not able to put you on the Express tier with 80GB of usage.
JohnPaul40
North York, ON

JohnPaul40

said by JohnPaul40:

You're right...big headache and I'm not sure I'm much futher ahead. The Rogers guy was very sneaky: to satisfy my request for a higher monthly transfer cap, he moved me from Express to Extreme at no extra charge for one year. I was a happy customer. I later found out that he locked me into a one year agreement, without my consent!! I am about to call back Rogers and have that reversed.

I got Rogers to reverse the one year agreement, but it took about 50 minutes on the phone. They said they will waive the $250 early cancellation fee. Except now I'm back where I started, which is the Express grandfathered plan, with 60 GB/mo transfer, even though I have a D3 modem. This has been a tremendous waste of time and I am quite displeased with Rogers.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

I really sympathise with you JohnPaul. You went to a lot of trouble and with Rogers, it was all for nought. This is what Rogers has become. It is all about them having control and why be concerned about the customer, because after all, we have no competition so we can do whatever we want to and the customer be damned! They want customers to buy or rent their crappy modems but I for one will be looking at the alternatives in the fall when my contract is up.
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

it basically means what we were suspecting all along. They've provisioned your modem as a D2 modem, hence why they were not able to put you on the Express tier with 80GB of usage.

WDZP means - customer purchased third party modem - not a docsis 3.0 modem, not a modem purchased from rogers, but 2.0 you bought ... like for instance a SB5101. »www.google.ca/search?q=s ··· bih=1263

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave

Premium Member

So in theory couldn't he just call in and have that modem provisioned as a 3rd party SMC docsis 3 gateway like so many others?

With some fighting of course
JohnPaul40
North York, ON

JohnPaul40

I went to a Rogers store yesterday and it was confirmed that my DPC3008 was set up as a docsis 2 modem! Just like metioned above. I suggested it should be set up as a DPC3825 modem and he said it already was! Since this made no sense, he opened a trouble ticket and now I'm waiting for a call back in the next 7 days, hopefully with a solution.