kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to DaneJasper

Re: Modem rental?

said by DaneJasper:

I don't think there are "a lot of Sonic.net customers who are upset at the new policy", because the new policy doesn't apply to them.

Maybe not a lot, but due to medical circumstances I will not be able to return to the premises where I had been living. I set that homeowner up with Sonic.net, firing AT&T in the process. Later this summer I expect to be in a new place, and looking for Internet service. This would make me a "new" Sonic.net customer, if I chose Sonic.net. There will be other options, and this new policy will give pause to reconsider them.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

bigboy

join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA
Actually, that's not what Dane said - if you're move your account, I think you're still a current customer.

not_happy

@supermicro.com
reply to NormanS
same here. We are looking into moving into bigger house a few blocks away so I will be considered as "new" customer. In addition, one of my brother's ATT 1 yr service is up and he is eligible for Fusion service. With this additional $6.50, he hesitated to do the switching because it doesn't benefit him much. Speed might be a tad faster, monthly fee is about the same, and the $35 initial fee. Sonic may have lose out 2 customers but it's not like it will impact the company.

Like Dana said, time will tell. Until then I do enjoy my Sonic while it last.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bigboy
said by bigboy:

Actually, that's not what Dane said - if you're move your account, I think you're still a current customer.

I will not be moving the account. I will be leaving the landlord's account with her; I just won't be a tenant there, so will have to sign up a new account.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

erifax

join:2000-12-14
ireland
reply to not_happy
So, I'm not directly affected (I monitor this forum for my parents circuit).

As a former customer myself, it sounds to me like sonic.net wants to make their support job easier by pushing the costs onto their customers.

In my view, this is a lot like baggage fees, except more insidious. It seems like a mandatory fee, perhaps a bit akin to Ryanair's boarding pass fees (yes, they charge you to check in). It might be well-intentioned, but it feels like getting nickel and dimed.

It seems like just bumping the base service fee to be all-inclusive would satisfy everyone.