Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer

Re: Is it possible to quit Google?

Click for full size
I have both set to 'Untrusted'. No issues at all.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Juggernaut:

I have both set to 'Untrusted'. No issues at all.

I have been told that some of the functions that site moderator's use for editing, moving, deleting unwanted posts require googleapis, but I don't think that there are any user functions that really require it. Perhaps eventually someone with intimate knowledge of this site's unseen functionality might pop into this thread with information either confirming or contradicting that? It is certainly possible that I am actually missing out on some super fancy functions on this site, but I just don't know about it with googleapis blocked.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
said by NetFixer:

Perhaps eventually someone with intimate knowledge of this site's unseen functionality might pop into this thread with information either confirming or contradicting that?

If I disallow googleapis as illustrated above, it does inhibit mod abilities on the site.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
you wont see any vote results without google apis either.

Plus the reply key didn't work, but I don't remember if that was a google thing or some other script issue.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by AVD:

Plus the reply key didn't work, but I don't remember if that was a google thing or some other script issue.

I seem to remember that I have no problems replying, quoting, posting, or editing with googleapis disabled (this reply for example was made with googleapis disabled). And while I seldom bother looking at poll posts, I can't recall ever having a problem seeing the results of the few I have viewed with googleapis disabled.

[disclaimer]YMMV[/disclaimer]
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to KeysCapt
said by KeysCapt:

If I disallow googleapis as illustrated above, it does inhibit mod abilities on the site.

Thanks. Sounds like another reason (aside from the obvious reasons) to not want a moderator job on this site.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

3 recommendations

said by NetFixer:

Thanks. Sounds like another reason (aside from the obvious reasons) to not want a moderator job on this site.

One of many.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by AVD:

I seem to remember that I have no problems replying, quoting, posting, or editing with googleapis disabled (this reply for example was made with googleapis disabled). And while I seldom bother looking at poll posts, I can't recall ever having a problem seeing the results of the few I have viewed with googleapis disabled.

[disclaimer]YMMV[/disclaimer]

I can confirm that. There is no problem with replying, quoting, posting, or editing. And there is no any problem with participating in polls or viewing results. As I mentioned earlier, in my environment Google tracking is permanently blocked.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...