spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hammerfest

join:2012-07-14

When did AT&T decide to jip people on the Elite package?

My story starts last November.

I live about on the city limits for San Antonio not towards the center of town and sadly, people like to steal the copper and other line materials all the time!

That being said, a major theft happened about November last year and at the time I had the HSI Elite package, now at the time it was 6MB down and 768k up, which since I have a Sprint Airave for cell signal, was PERFECT!

With the theft that occurred plus what I was told by a tech when I drove by, other major damage, my package when they where working on it and even for the week after they where supposedly "done" (but there where trucks out there for the month after), became unstable, and couldn't sustain the package, so both the Phone tech support and agent that came out to my location recommended me to downgrade to the 3Mb package in the interim until they had all the kinks worked out (the phone agent said there where issues on the line, and the agent that came out said everything looked perfect... go figure!), I agreed as long as I wouldn't have trouble upgrading back to the package and speeds I had prior, I was told that wouldn't be an issue...

I REALLY should have recorded that and gotten it in writing, as I wasn't actually able to get it upgraded back until May of this year!!! (There where AT&T vans working all the way through March however, problem resolved?)

The above now stated, I noticed that I was still having voice issues and even uploading pictures for the family seemed slower then it I could remember, but thought I might be mistaken... Sadly however, I WAS NOT!

I went online, and the package is now listed as 6Mb down and 512kb up... I called tech support and billing and they had no idea what I was talking about! I even had the information from when I first signed up years ago about the package I had, and yet, no-one seems to know ANYTHING about what happened!

So really, my question is if anyone else has noticed this switch-a-roo and maybe an AT&T DSL employee can chime in as to what changed and why! (because the price is still the same when I compared my bill from last year :*( ).

Of course if anyone knows of a way to get my previous upload speed back I would appreciate that as well, but my long standing hate of AT&T just keeps getting stronger so I highly doubt thats possible.

~Kerry

EDIT: as a note here, speeds I was realistically getting prior with overhead was .59 on the 768k, and now .35 on the 512k...
Oh, and trust me, if there was ANY OTHER carrier besides AT&T for HSI out here, I wouldn't even have made this post...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Hammerfest:

Of course if anyone knows of a way to get my previous upload speed back I would appreciate that as well, but my long standing hate of AT&T just keeps getting stronger so I highly doubt thats possible.

I doubt that it will be possible. Assuming that NetFixer See Profile doesn't post while I am composing ...

Before SBC bought AT&T there were SBC tiers:

• 768/386 (Basic), $14.95
• 1536/384 (Express), $19.95
• 3008/512 (Pro), $24.95
• 6016/768 (Elite), $29.95

And there were Bellsouth tiers:

• 384/256 (FastAccess DSL Lite), $19.95*
• 15xx/256 (FastAccess DSL Ultra), $27.95*
• 3xxx/384 (FastAccess DSL Xtreme), $34.95*
• 6xxx/512 (FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6.0), $43.95*

(*Note: Best guess from bad memory).

Then SBC bought AT&T.
Then SBC re-branded as AT&T.
Then AT&T bought Bellsouth.

And then the legacy Bellsouth customers made two discoveries:

• AT&T offered faster (uploads) DSL for less than they were paying.
• AT&T had worse customer service than Bellsouth.

It now appears that AT&T intends to "equalize" services across both legacy footprints, giving everybody the worst of two worlds: Legacy BS speeds and prices with legacy SBC customer service.

Oh, and trust me, if there was ANY OTHER carrier besides AT&T for HSI out here, I wouldn't even have made this post...

It is my good fortune to live within the small footprint of a Northern California CLEC, Sonic.net, LLC. I qualify for their "Fusion" service, which is half the price, twice the speed, and more complete voice service.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7

quote:
NormanS See Profile
It now appears that AT&T intends to "equalize" services across both legacy footprints, giving everybody the worst of two worlds: Legacy BS speeds and prices with legacy SBC customer service.
Remember that Bellsouth speeds are largely throughput speeds as sync speeds were allowed to range as high as the loop allows, aka Maxsync.
--
TCE Weather

Hammerfest

reply to Hammerfest

Thanks for the detailed answer... Glad AT&T is at least equalizing things... however much in the WRONG direction it is...

I think im going to make a new post in the uverse forums, but it seems like that might be the option I have to go with (again, AT&T only option... Sat has too high latency and not high enough upload for hosting an fem-to-cell). So ill ask the pre-question here.

I have my setup currently with a simple DSL modem on Bridge mode connected to my E4200 (PPPoE on the E4200), from what im reading so far, the modem they want to stick me with (a motorola), blows both in function and options/interface, can anyone recommend an alternative to use? (yes im aware I will have to craigslist/ebay it for the most part, thats no a problem) That I can setup reasonably like a bridge device like my current setup?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

For U-verse Internet you would first need to know whether you will get VDSL (copper back to a VRAD), or ADSL2+ (copper back to a CO).

But either way, AT&T no longer uses PPPoE authentication; except on legacy ADSL. So you have to be very certain that the used device is designed to work with an AT&T U-verse connection.
--
Norman

Hammerfest

well they told me id be using the Motorola modem and not the 2Wire... if that helps at all... but im REALLY far out as it is, only qualify for the 6Mb package for uvurse (no phone/tv) and originally only qualified for 3Mb DSL...

ill try to find out more tomorrow...

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Hammerfest:

well they told me id be using the Motorola modem and not the 2Wire... if that helps at all... but im REALLY far out as it is, only qualify for the 6Mb package for uvurse (no phone/tv) and originally only qualified for 3Mb DSL...

I believe you would have been limited to 3Meg if you were just far enough out that ADSL would not sync reliably at 6016kbs. It could be that ADSL2+ will just barely sync within tolerance over the same copper run.
--
Norman

Hammerfest

When I first looked up my address with uvurse, it showed only 768k, now it shows the 6Mb package...

didnt get to call today... was sooo busy...

Oh, and it did sync reliably... no errors I could tell, and none that displayed on my dsl modem (i never use supplied modem, so I can check the stats), and when they did the initial test before they approved me, they told me the line held just fine up to 7.5Mb so the 6Mb package was a go for me (years ago when I first got DSL), after the fiasco with the theft, the last test they told me it only tested to 6.8Mb...

/meh

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to Hammerfest

you mean back to the monopoly and higher prices?
Funny we didn't get ripped for everything every day until the breakup.

Don't force them to bribe more senators to have you muzzled.