share rss forum feed

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to avenison

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

And of course once they have the city covered, they'll start cutting the F1 cables coming out of the COs and deny competitors access to copper facilities or wholesale DSL (because it won't exist anymore).
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

avenison

join:2009-12-10

It's certainly possible, but that kind of behaviour might backfire and motivate CRTC rulings on sharing non-copper infrastructure. As such I think it's unlikely they'll dismantle the only (and slower) network the prior competition can access.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

They won't be able to gain the efficiencies of an optical plant without eliminating the maintenance costs of the copper plant.
--

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

And of course once they have the city covered, they'll start cutting the F1 cables coming out of the COs and deny competitors access to copper facilities or wholesale DSL (because it won't exist anymore).

That may be a ways off....because they'll never have 100% coverage in the city....never....unless they're going to run 5km of optical fibre down to my parents place....the cost of the copper back in the early 80s was $2k to have phone service installed.....I could only imagine the cost of fibre to run down their way....

So you won't see them cutting those cables anytime soon as you'll never have 100% coverage, meaning unless they come up with some other way you'll have maintenance on both plants....

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by nitzguy:

That may be a ways off....because they'll never have 100% coverage in the city....never....unless they're going to run 5km of optical fibre down to my parents place....the cost of the copper back in the early 80s was $2k to have phone service installed.....I could only imagine the cost of fibre to run down their way....

So you won't see them cutting those cables anytime soon as you'll never have 100% coverage, meaning unless they come up with some other way you'll have maintenance on both plants....

They only have to eliminate the F1 cable segment, and do FTTN with derived voice for everyone else.
--

avenison

reply to HeadSpinning

Agreed, but why risk losing the revenue of POTS users (who might choose cable or other non-Bell alternatives) when they can just continue to profit from ALL of them?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

They can still provide phone service only on FTTH. This is the strategy of several RBOCs in the US - discontinue the copper network to gain operating efficiencies and also lock out competition from using their network.
--

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

said by nitzguy:

They only have to eliminate the F1 cable segment, and do FTTN with derived voice for everyone else.

...Ok, I'm trying to understand here...I can basically give you an idea of how things run now.

------ (Fibre in I'm assuming) ---- Remote ---------- (over Copper now) ---- Parents place.

are you saying that isn't FTTN as it sits now? They have full ADSL1 service and syncing @ 6mbps on a nearly 5km long loop...

Are you saying that they would adjust this somehow? Just curious I'm trying to understand but am not really familiar with phone terminology as much as cable terminology...I don't understand this F1 segment you speak of...

avenison

@nitzguy: »www.privateline.com/OSP/No.html
I don't know where I found this link so I can't credit whomever posted it, but this should clarify the terminology for you.

I'll leave your other question for someone else to answer as I'm not certain remotes are even in use here.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to nitzguy

The F1 is the feeder cable coming from the Central Office (CO) to a junction point known as an OPI or JWI. From the OPI or JWI there is then a series of cables going out to the neighborhoods - the F2 cable. The F2 feeds the aerial terminals or pedestals, which then have drops going to the house.

Every facility feeding a customer is currently made up of an F1, F2 and drop cable.

In FTTN, the F1 cable is used to feed the voice from the CO to the OPI or JWI located DSLAM (i.e. the fibre fed node in the field). The DSL is then added at that point.

The only thing the F1 is used for in FTTN is to feed dialtone - the DSL is added at the F2 point. If Bell switches to an IMS architecture with derived voice (i.e. VoIP) generated by an adapter at the home, similar to a cable EMTA, they no longer need the F1 to feed dialtone to the OPI/JWI.
--