how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yambag

join:2008-11-13
Clifton, NJ

What channels can I get without a STB?

I'm not happy about the new hardware rates and I need to save money. Is there a list of channels I can get without using a STB? Does the channel plan I have effect which ones I will get without a STB?

chewypgh

join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Does FiOS-TV require a set-top device?

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to yambag

I live in the Los Angeles market and get most if not all OTA channels (HD & SD) with most of their subchannels (the one's Verizon carries). I also get TWC local, TBS & WGN all in SD only. This is with a digital cable ready (QAM) TV.

My cable ready TV used to get far more channels in the analog days. But that's a discussion for another thread. Hint hint.

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
reply to yambag

I was wondering the same thing. So I take it the answer is no, VZ provides no such list.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

1 edit

said by vircotto:

I was wondering the same thing. So I take it the answer is no, VZ provides no such list.

Actually, you were not wondering the same thing. The OP asked if there was a list, and there is. You asked if Verizon provided a list, which has not been answered. But you have the information in the FAQ.

mgamer20o0

join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA
reply to yambag

have you thought about getting Ceton InfiniTV 4 with a cable card? for the $4 a month you can get 4 streams at once.

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to yambag

You can get quite a few Clear QAM channels without a set top box if your HDTV or tuner card can support Clear QAM channels. It's mostly the "over the air" stuff, but you get all the sub-channels and some other channels. Both my TV and Happauge tuner card in my computer are set up to tune in the Clear QAM stuff. (Remember, there is no analog with FioS TV.). You get them in both HD and SD.

Oh, and you'll also get all the feeds for commercials that FiOS inserts on the cable channels. (I just delete them - there's about 40 channels reserved but maybe one or two are in use at any given time).

Just hook up the cable line directly to your TV, do a digital channel scan and see what comes up. You'll probably be impressed with what's actually out there in the clear.

As mgamer20o0 said above, you can get a Ceton card and pay $3.99/month (for the CableCARD rental) and get all the channels in your plan without a set top box. I use this setup for my home brew DVR which works great (using Windows 7 Media Center).

You can also watch live TV as well as record shows. Up to four streams at once - record 3 and watch one, or record on all four.

dmine45

Fredericksburg, VA
reply to vircotto

said by vircotto:

There is no list since each region would have it's own list. Also, the Clear QAM channels that I mention in my post above are sometimes on very strange channels numbers and change from time to time so it would be impossible to list. (I had that also with Cox Cable, so it's not just a FiOS thing.)

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by dmine45:

There is no list since each region would have it's own list.

OP, this is the answer...whatever is the equivalent of what your local OTA coverage (for the Verizon area you are in) is what will most likely be lurking on the line for your QAM tuner to provide to you without an STB. As dmine45 also mentioned, it changes from time to time so you'll likely need to re-scan periodically.

xocsucram

join:2008-10-02
reply to yambag

you're not going to get any cable channels and very few basic network/regional ones.

if you're just wanting to add a 2nd tv, you can use the coax out on the Box u have and then just change channels on that, or set it to one and it'll come thru on the TV, if you want to pay for fios and not have any boxes you're wasting your money

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

The clear QAM channels you will receive in virtually every market are:

SD:
* FiOS Channels 2 through 49 (local TV, public access, WeatherScan local, WGN SD only)
* FiOS Channels 460 through 499 (digital subchannels of over-the-air locals)

HD:
* FiOS Channels 501 through 549 (HD locals)

Most HD will appear with their actual channel number if your TV supports it. Most SD (the exception being digital subchannels) will appear with ambiguous channel numbering.

Up until a few years ago, Music Choice was in the clear, but too many businesses picked it up for free and it soon was encrypted.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:1

»www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Verizon doesn't provide a list, but you can get a list online very easily. just go there, put in all your info and select verizon fios, and you'll get your list.

dmine45

Fredericksburg, VA
reply to yambag

My FiOS head end serves two regions - one on the north side of the town I'm in (DC market) and the south side of town (Richmond, VA market). Though I'm only supposed to get the DC stations, I get a couple of the Richmond OTA stations on Clear QAM channels that I don't get on my STB or my Ceton tuner.

So it's worth your while to hook up your TV directly to the coax and see what you get when you do a channel scan.

dmine45

Fredericksburg, VA
reply to hubrisnxs

said by hubrisnxs:

»www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Verizon doesn't provide a list, but you can get a list online very easily. just go there, put in all your info and select verizon fios, and you'll get your list.

This is a great resource! Thanks for posting that link!

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:1

maybe that can get updated to the faq

Jweuri

@verizon.net
reply to dmine45

I am located in NYC.

Connecting the coax cable directly to the input port of an OTA digital tuner and doing a complete re-scan results in zero channels found. The digital tuner also informs me that there is "no signal", like there is no antenna connected to it.

When an OTA antenna is instead connected to the digital tuner's input port, channels can then be found.

Of course, the FiOS STB works fine with the same coax cable as input.

So it appears that depending on the FiOS market you are in, Verizon may or may not not be sending clear QAM signals over the coax cable. As a result you may see zero or more channels without the use of a STB.

Jweuri

@verizon.net

Anybody in NYC getting different results?

Thanks.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

An OTA digital tuner is not a QAM tuner. The only way you will get local broadcast channels is on a QAM-enabled tuner.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to yambag

Are you keeping broadband? If so try a Roku.