kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to donoreo

Re: [Serious] Scarborough block party turns violent

said by donoreo:

Someone has to say "gang violence".

Dude. I made a "wrong turn" onto that street (Danzig) once while cycling. Let me tell you, it was NOT pretty, and I hightailed it out of there quick. Its mostly townhouses and it was just PACKED with 'hoods sitting in front on lawn chairs, drinking alcohol and who knows what else...

I also listen to the 43 division on a regular basis, and that area is known for gang & drug activity. They have undercover cops there all the time.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

Looking at Google Maps, so it's the "Projects", a long fence, and then single family housing.

No thanks, the house has to be worth nothing.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Dude. I made a "wrong turn" onto that street (Danzig) once while cycling. Let me tell you, it was NOT pretty, and I hightailed it out of there quick. Its mostly townhouses and it was just PACKED with 'hoods sitting in front on lawn chairs, drinking alcohol and who knows what else...

Sounds just like any other day in Buffalo! Haha.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

200 is an awfull lotta poeple for a couple of bbq hot dogs

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

I thought it was a block party... Where I live our annual block party for my street would easily have that many...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

A block party in a gang and thug infested neighbourhood is a terrible idea... There should have been police presence there to begin with.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by HiVolt:

A block party in a gang and thug infested neighbourhood is a terrible idea... There should have been police presence there to begin with.

But then they would all feel harassed.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by donoreo:

said by HiVolt:

And profiled... Damn right. But maybe 20+ people wouldn't have been shot.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by HiVolt:

said by donoreo:

said by HiVolt:

And profiled... Damn right. But maybe 20+ people wouldn't have been shot.

Aside from the kids, it would have been better if they had all killed each other.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Do they need a permit to have such event?
And the 43 Div is not that far. May be a km away.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by loosedobbs:

said by HiVolt:

Do they need a permit to have such event?
And the 43 Div is not that far. May be a km away.

I dunno... I think you need permits for public spaces like parks and stuff, but if people are having BBQ's and stuff on their front yards i dont think you can even enforce any sort of bylaws...

And yeah, the 43 Division is pretty close around on Lawrence & Manse Road. Cops got there very quickly after the initial gunshot dispatch went out.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I've been to most Toronto "projects" and they don't compare to the ones I went into in California. I would be shot for wearing the wrong colours and where there are spotters on the rooftops with walkie talkies and they stop your vehicle and confirm you are to be in the area with a local and then follow you in.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Sounds just like any other day in Buffalo! Haha.

Oy - been there, done that, and met a Buffalo cop who was wondering what we were doing there. When I explained that the person from Fort Erie who I was staying with had a "bad sense of direction" (he was smashed) and asked for directions to get out of there, they were pretty cool about it and told me how to get back to Canada.

I'm sure there will be those crying that the police should have known something was going to happen and been there to stop it, but it also falls on those who live in the area and know the people involved to either stop it before it starts by defusing the situation, calling the police early, or getting out of dodge before it starts.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

I've been to most Toronto "projects" and they don't compare to the ones I went into in California. I would be shot for wearing the wrong colours and where there are spotters on the rooftops with walkie talkies and they stop your vehicle and confirm you are to be in the area with a local and then follow you in.

I'm sure, its hardcore over there. But this is Canada, and shit like this is scary and shouldnt be here.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

I'm sure there will be those crying that the police should have known something was going to happen and been there to stop it, but it also falls on those who live in the area and know the people involved to either stop it before it starts by defusing the situation, calling the police early, or getting out of dodge before it starts.

Part of the problem is probably that most of the people that live there consider the police the enemy.
--

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I'm sure, its hardcore over there. But this is Canada, and shit like this is scary and shouldnt be here.

And thus I live in Peterborough until the low-lifes move here and I'll head further north.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

Part of the problem is probably that most of the people that live there consider the police the enemy.

Yup, but that won't stop the blame game of "the police should have done something" because it's not like the locals are going to take responsibility for the actions of the locals.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Kardinal:

said by donoreo:

Yup, but that won't stop the blame game of "the police should have done something" because it's not like the locals are going to take responsibility for the actions of the locals.

I am saying that those outside will be asking the question but to those that live there it never entered their minds.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

Oy - been there, done that, and met a Buffalo cop who was wondering what we were doing there. When I explained that the person from Fort Erie who I was staying with had a "bad sense of direction" (he was smashed) and asked for directions to get out of there, they were pretty cool about it and told me how to get back to Canada.

I was in the north-end of Buffalo yesterday afternoon during what I will assume is their rush hour. North Buffalo, comparatively speaking, is quite nice compared to most other areas of the city and not somewhere where you feel like you're going to be shot - you need to get to the east side of Main Street and onto Delevan for that, haha. Still, I saw more cop cars racing up and down the streets with lights flashing in the half hour period I was there than I would see in an entire month in St. Catharines.

Buffalo, for what it's worth, is a city of two worlds. For all intents and purposes, it's a segregated city. I hate to sound this way, but in the areas where the white people live it's a fantastic friendly city that you'll want to come back to. If you get onto the east side, where the black people live, it's a scary shithole that you'll wish you never visited.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

said by Gone:

Buffalo, for what it's worth, is a city of two worlds. For all intents and purposes, it's a segregated city. I hate to sound this way, but in the areas where the white people live it's a fantastic friendly city that you'll want to come back to. If you get onto the east side, where the black people live, it's a scary shithole that you'll wish you never visited.

I observed almost same with my recent visit to Boston, Philly, Washington DC, NY, NJ.

Its like two different worlds. Absolutely Marvelous, Picturesque outside cities...especially in PA and city life (ghetto).

Then its again two worlds in once you enter cities.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

said by HiVolt:

Frig thats just like the movie I recently saw with Denzel Washington about the first day on the job for a rookie cop. Great movie by the way. For street cruising, never forget the day I drove down a street in New Haven (perhaps Chapel?). Garbage cans acting as giant candles the whole bit. Windows rolled up tight, scared sheetless.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment